Ferry dock remodel

mm121

Photo by https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

View attachment 174685

link to larger version https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxEyyW7UUAE4sQ3.jpg:large

By the looks of things this might be open by next weekend. They are not taking their time what so ever.
still a bit hard to tell what the traffic pattern is going to be

right now looks like there might be security holes with the paths right up by the ferry dock where they are close together by the building

where people could either jump a barrier or pass things from the unsecure to the secure side

though we will have to wait for completion to see how it really is

are we sure the plan is to screen guests before they get on the ferry? at the ttc

this looks more like a dedicated ferry screening area after the journey across the lagoon rather than before at the ttc

IMFearless

still a bit hard to tell what the traffic pattern is going to be

right now looks like there might be security holes with the paths right up by the ferry dock where they are close together by the building

where people could either jump a barrier or pass things from the unsecure to the secure side

though we will have to wait for completion to see how it really is

are we sure the plan is to screen guests before they get on the ferry? at the ttc

this looks more like a dedicated ferry screening area after the journey across the lagoon rather than before at the ttc

From a security point of view it makes sense to have the ferries screened prior to boarding. It would be virtually impossible to stop someone intent on doing harm during the journey otherwise. Those ferries hold a large number of people in a contained area with no means of escape. It is a sad reflection of the world we live in, but they have little choice but to move security to the other side of the lagoon in my opinion.

Goofyernmost

I hope they left space for the alligator barriers ;)
It's at least 18 vertical inches to the water line and another 34" to the top of the railing. There's nothing for a alligator to grab ahold of to pull themselves up that distance.
In that case I hope they left some Gater exits so the poor guys can get out an grab a bit to eat when they get hungry.
From a security point of view it makes sense to have the ferries screened prior to boarding. It would be virtually impossible to stop someone intent on doing harm during the journey otherwise. Those ferries hold a large number of people in a contained area with no means of escape. It is a sad reflection of the world we live in, but they have little choice but to move security to the other side of the lagoon in my opinion.
We could always just throw them overboard where the explosives won't work and the trapped gaters will be able to feast. All kidding aside, even though they do contain a captive audience, they can do much more damage by waiting until the crowd is bigger and the devastation is much more spectacular. So, yes, of course, there is always that threat, it is not as big as when they actually get to the park. Besides that URFearless so it shouldn't even be an issue for you.

It never seems to amaze me that people think that if something like that were to happen that they would take a conventional way in. There are probably at least a hundred miles of perimeter to WDW. Almost none of it is guarded and some of it not even looked at because of it's topography. Fences will not stop them and before one even knows they are around they can be there. The security measures are two fold. One is to actually look for and try and head off people that intend harm and secondly to make the guest feel more secure.

ChrisM

unless it's a gazebo

To be fair, gazebos (not unlike magnets), are inscrutable as to their construction and mode of operation.

All we know is that eventually they work. We think. Just make sure to never make eye contact or expose them to any noxious gases.

Omnikron

d4b.jpg

Been waiting to do this :D

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, Nov 19. The construction walls are down. As of now, it is a large open area separated by a short wall, a fence and screen of plantings. The walkway along the shoreline goes to and from the ferry dock, with pedestrian traffic separated by a rope line. The larger open area beyond the wall connects with the existing pavement around the bus terminal.

This is the walkway to and from the ferry dock. You can see the ferry on the right side of the photo. This walkway is lower than the elevation beyond the fence.

IMG_8756.JPG

As you round the corner (in the photo below) the walkway leading to the ferry dock rises to the level of the bus terminal, separated by the fence.

IMG_8758.JPG

As you leave the ferry dock, this is the view as you approach the Magic Kingdom security entry. A temporary banner above the right side of the walkway (green) directs guests to the ferry dock.

IMG_8757.JPG

rudyjr13

For those interested I experienced what I think is the new set up this morning around 10:00am when walking from Bay Lake Tower.

After reaching the end of the walkway there was a new group of bag check tables set up to the immediate right. It seemed to me that this was for the bus guests and the walking guests. The ferry and monorail guests went through the "original" 2 sets of bag check tables. I could have walked to the original section but figured why walk all that extra way.

So ferry and monorail in one bag check area, bus and walking guests in the other (which had about half the checkers as the original tables). I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

roj2323

Original Poster
Actually for a big gator that's not that big of a jump. Just saying.

They climb also,

fortunately WDW doesn't use a lot of chain link fence. Instead they use fencing with vertical bars which doesn't give the gators something to grab on to.

MrHappy

Photo by https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

View attachment 174685

link to larger version https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxEyyW7UUAE4sQ3.jpg:large

By the looks of things this might be open by next weekend. They are not taking their time what so ever.

I've never been good at Photo Hunt, but it appears to me that the (ferry) exiting walk way is wider, and instead of the greenery in the middle, it's now a paved courtyard type area. I'm sure I'm blind to something, can someone give me just a little review of the updates? For the record, I approve this initiative for flow and security reasons, and I think it looks great. Just not sure what has happened here. Thanks!

mm121

Here are a few more pics of the newly remodeled Ferry Dock area at MK. I took these from the Express Monorail Beam so as to get a great overhead shot. These were taken on 12/11/16.
View attachment 179630

View attachment 179631

View attachment 179632

View attachment 179633

View attachment 179634

Here's the Google Earth Before pic. I have marked the refurb area in teal and the bollard post extension area in red.

View attachment 179635
thanks for the pics

it will be interesting to see what they do here next

as this really feels like just the first step to a bigger project

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom