Feeling overwhelmed with all the schedules...are ADR really needed?

Bandjwayne

Original Poster
4 adults plus 8 yr & 5 yr old boys traveling to Disney for the first time in mid-Jan. We are staying at NOPR for 6 nights and have 5 days at the parks. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with all the reservations. I've booked the ride fast passes...often having to split our group up into 2 due to the kids having different ride preferences. I've also booked a character breakfast & specialty restaurant. Now I feel like I don't have any other special must-haves so I was thinking of NOT booking any more dining reservations as I don't want to be too tied down to a schedule. Now after reading some posts it seems like this might not be a good idea as the restaurants might be all booked up and not take walk-ins, is this true? I'm not sure either what time is the best for sit-down meals...lunch or dinner. I don't want to eat too much that I feel sick when I go on rides afterwards. Also, is it true that I can use a TS credit at a Quick service place if I choose? That might help elevate kid meltdowns. HELP with your thoughts please!!!

ratherbeinwdw

Make the ressies if there are any left at this late date, and then if you decide you don't want them, you can cancel 24 hours before. Just don't forget to cancel or you pay 10.00 per person as a cancellation fee.
Even in low crowd times, we make our ressies. There are plenty of quick service restaurants that don't require a ressie that are always available.

SDisney90

4 adults plus 8 yr & 5 yr old boys traveling to Disney for the first time in mid-Jan. We are staying at NOPR for 6 nights and have 5 days at the parks. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with all the reservations. I've booked the ride fast passes...often having to split our group up into 2 due to the kids having different ride preferences. I've also booked a character breakfast & specialty restaurant. Now I feel like I don't have any other special must-haves so I was thinking of NOT booking any more dining reservations as I don't want to be too tied down to a schedule. Now after reading some posts it seems like this might not be a good idea as the restaurants might be all booked up and not take walk-ins, is this true? I'm not sure either what time is the best for sit-down meals...lunch or dinner. I don't want to eat too much that I feel sick when I go on rides afterwards. Also, is it true that I can use a TS credit at a Quick service place if I choose? That might help elevate kid meltdowns. HELP with your thoughts please!!!

I highly recommend ADR's its as simple as that. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if you can use a TS credit for a QS but that IMO is just a waste of money. ADR's are great and help you slow down the trip and actually enjoy your vacation. It can be very nerve wrecking trying to figure everything out and being "tied" to a schedule but it's really not that bad at all. My girlfriend and I always have lunch around 11-12 and have our dinners before any of the firework/shows begin. This way, you don't miss anything and plan accordingly.

We go in the off season (January) and people were getting turned down from every TS restaurant we went to. Yes, you may be lucky to get into one with out an ADR, but that IMO is very rare.

Edit: what dining plan are you on?

sgtmgd

I highly recommend ADR's its as simple as that. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if you can use a TS credit for a QS but that IMO is just a waste of money. ADR's are great and help you slow down the trip and actually enjoy your vacation. It can be very nerve wrecking trying to figure everything out and being "tied" to a schedule but it's really not that bad at all. My girlfriend and I always have lunch around 11-12 and have our dinners before any of the firework/shows begin. This way, you don't miss anything and plan accordingly.

We go in the off season (January) and people were getting turned down from every TS restaurant we went to. Yes, you may be lucky to get into one with out an ADR, but that IMO is very rare.

Yes you can use a higher credit for a lower one..and ADR's are really really a must have if you dont want to sustain yourself on fast food, there are so many really really good places to eat that have a great ambiance dont miss out on part of what makes Disney special. Feeling overwhelmed is ok thats why all these folks are here to help.

SDisney90

Yes you can use a higher credit for a lower one..and ADR's are really really a must have if you dont want to sustain yourself on fast food, there are so many really really good places to eat that have a great ambiance dont miss out on part of what makes Disney special. Feeling overwhelmed is ok thats why all these folks are here to help.

I guess that makes sense..I would never use a TS at a QS restaurant. I always try to maximize the value of my DP. You got that right also, we are all here to help one another with everything. Any questions or concerns just ask away!

lunchbox1175

Like what @sgtmgd said, if you don't want to eat fast food all the time, then I would recommend ADR's. Many of the TS restaurants, you can walk in to as long as they aren't the finer dining establishments like Yachtsman, Citrico's. Other places that are near impossible to get into without a reservation are 'Ohana, Cali Grill and CRT (which I believe is under refurbishment). Many of the others will take walk ups, but you may have a significant wait.

HouCuseChickie

While some people are consistently lucky with walk ups for table service...I am not one of those people. I've also witnessed many people being turned away or told they can wait if they're willing to wait 2-3 hours.

This being said, I think you can get away with making last minute reservations if you're not overly picky and are willing to peruse the WDW app or website the morning of or night before. Things often do open up at the last minute. On our last trip, I reworked some of my ressies while at WDW and managed to get us into Narcoosee's at a decent hour just by booking the night before. For that same night, I saw things like 'Ohana, Chef Mickey's and California Grill available last minute too. Still, you have to take the initiative to make that last minute search and booking, but hopefully doing it like I'd noted could alleviate some of the pre-trip planning stress.

iluvMainStMagic

I agree with the suggestion to check the MDE app for dining availability while you're there - or you can also call WDW-DINE and ask them to check what is available for the day you want. With the 24-hr cancellation policy you may be able to get into places that you wouldn't expect, especially if you can be flexible about location & dining time. It sounds like you will be there at a less busy time, so hopefully that will help you, too.
We do go ahead and make any reservations that we think we will want (we've also called in and changed some, too), but I understand not wanting to plan that much in advance.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Bandjwayne

Original Poster

I don't remember what it's called but it comes with 1 QS, 1 TS, & 1 snack per day. We were going to do the one with 2 QS & 1 snack instead but we're upgraded to this option for less $ since we're going in Jan.

SDisney90

I don't remember what it's called but it comes with 1 QS, 1 TS, & 1 snack per day. We were going to do the one with 2 QS & 1 snack instead but we're upgraded to this option for less $ since we're going in Jan.

That plan IMO is the one to go with. The quick service dining plan can be cheaper but eating QS meals twice a day will get sickening. Glad you were able to upgrade for less. I will always stick to my guns and recommend ADR reservations to save frustration later on trying to get into a TS.

Also experiencing some of the more popular restaurants make the experience all that much better. Hope you decide soon!

crispy

Your life will be a whole lot easier if you make ADRs. You aren't guaranteed a seat if you do a walk-up, and you will likely be turned away. If you post which days you are at which parks, I am sure people here would offer some helpful suggestions.

Bandjwayne

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I booked some more T/S reservations and feel better know. My only place left is Magic Kingdom. Any suggestions for a dinner locations? I'm guessing the best locations for fireworks viewing are already reserved but maybe they'll be cancellations. Or maybe we could find a restaurant not far away from a good viewing location....which I'm not even sure where that is. thanks!

ratherbeinwdw

We like to eat at The Plaza. The food is good, and it's a good location. Our fav is Crystal Palace though. We have always been able to get in without a ressie, if we got there during early hours. We're doing lunch there for the first time in a long time in May. We usually do breakfast.

Matt_Black

The quick service dining plan can be cheaper but eating QS meals twice a day will get sickening.

Depends on where you eat. There's a good variety of options available and many don't fall into what I'd categorize as "fast food". Granted most of the best QS choices that I can think of like this are all in Epcot, but there are other good spots as well that have more than burgers and fries and chicken nuggets.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I booked some more T/S reservations and feel better know. My only place left is Magic Kingdom. Any suggestions for a dinner locations? I'm guessing the best locations for fireworks viewing are already reserved but maybe they'll be cancellations. Or maybe we could find a restaurant not far away from a good viewing location....which I'm not even sure where that is. thanks!

Just remember, you don't have to use 1 of each of the credits per day per person. You can have one day with two table services or save up snacks and use them for a lighter meal along the way.

Since Epcot has (for our family) more interesting and better table service options, we tend to do 2 tables on an Epcot day (late breakfast at Akershus and early dinner at...well, anyplace) and we rarely use a table service at Magic Kingdom (except maybe Be Our Guest) - even though we do 2 days at MK usually.

AND - at counter services you can share credits and spread things out to get more meals. Counter service credits are NOT child/adult different, so you can use your children's credits for an adult counter service meal. Our family of 3 usually can get pretty full on 2 counter service meals (esp since you get dessert) - do that a couple times and you have one more meal of credits to use another time. :)

Matt_Black

Just remember, you don't have to use 1 of each of the credits per day per person. You can have one day with two table services or save up snacks and use them for a lighter meal along the way.

Since Epcot has (for our family) more interesting and better table service options, we tend to do 2 tables on an Epcot day (late breakfast at Akershus and early dinner at...well, anyplace) and we rarely use a table service at Magic Kingdom (except maybe Be Our Guest) - even though we do 2 days at MK usually.

AND - at counter services you can share credits and spread things out to get more meals. Counter service credits are NOT child/adult different, so you can use your children's credits for an adult counter service meal. Our family of 3 usually can get pretty full on 2 counter service meals (esp since you get dessert) - do that a couple times and you have one more meal of credits to use another time. :)

Most rooms also have mini-fridges if you want to eat goodies later; nearly every QS spot I've been to will provide a to-go container upon request.

crispy

We usually do an early dinner at one of the MK resorts and then head back to the park. It's a nice break from the crowds, and a way to get recharged. I would suggest Kona Café or Grand Floridian Café. The food is great at both of them and they usually have availability. I have never eaten at The Wave at the Contemporary, but you will also likely find availability there, too.

SDisney90

Depends on where you eat. There's a good variety of options available and many don't fall into what I'd categorize as "fast food". Granted most of the best QS choices that I can think of like this are all in Epcot, but there are other good spots as well that have more than burgers and fries and chicken

With the sole exception of Epcot, quick services for me are the same thing everywhere. Yes you have an abundant variety of food in Epcot (world showcase) but in the other three parks 9/10 times you will find the same dishes with different names and maybe an ingredient added. Again, that's just my opinion on my experience and why I would not get the QS DP

crispy

With the sole exception of Epcot, quick services for me are the same thing everywhere. Yes you have an abundant variety of food in Epcot (world showcase) but in the other three parks 9/10 times you will find the same dishes with different names and maybe an ingredient added. Again, that's just my opinion on my experience and why I would not get the QS DP

I don't find that at all. In AK, you can get ribs and other smoked meats at Flametree, a variety of Asian inspired dishes like Korean BBQ and teriyaki bowls at Yak & Yeti, samosas and falafel at Mr. Kamal's, and a variety of curry dishes at TamuTamu. The QS DHS may be a bit more pedestrian, but there is still some decent variety there. For example, Fairfax Faire has ribs and chicken and Starring Rolls as great sandwiches. At MK, you have places like Be Our Guest and Columbia Harbor House that offer a lot of variety grilled salmon, braised pork, quiche and quinoa salad. On top of that, many of the resorts have wonderful food court offerings like the Tandoori station at Art of Animation.

Certainly, QS dining at WDW is not going to be a gourmet affair, but I think there is a lot of variety beyond the standard burgers, hotdogs and chicken fingers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom