Feedback on new style

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The more I'm digging into this the more neat features I'm discovering with the new website, good stuff! Just a random suggestion but is there any way to put individual picture icons for every different section of the forums instead of just the chat bubbles? For some reason the different locations are blending together for me more than the old forum and I think that could help differentiate things.
The old forum was extremely tabular, with very distinct boxes for everything. This new layout is a much more modern approach, with more space, and no use of tables. There is also an emphasis on trying to remove clutter, and hiding away some of the things that aren't absolutely necessary in every day use. With all this though, there is a learning curve for the user, and it does take a bit of getting used to.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't post in 'light grey', does my text look light grey to you! :D there are several things that are light grey such as the time of the post and the page numbers along the top for example!

I was just kidding with you.

Darn light gray!

rsoxguy

I don't know how the majority of the members feel, but I'm liking this new system with every day of use. I'm very basic in my computer knowledge, and this is the only forum that I use, but I think this new format is far and above better than the old style. I find my self logging on more often as a result. Time is proving this new system to be a winner for me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't know how the majority of the members feel, but I'm liking this new system with every day of use. I'm very basic in my computer knowledge, and this is the only forum that I use, but I think this new format is far and above better than the old style. I find my self logging on more often as a result. Time is proving this new system to be a winner for me.
That is really good to hear! Thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just found the live button that is pretty neat. Was like taking a speed reading course when it loads. :D
Yeah that works really well if you want to leave a window open while you do something else, and just kinda of keep an eye on posts as they come in.

Tom

Beta Return
@wdwmagic - Is there a place to change the default font for the boards for users, or is that done on the Admin side when designing a style?

Serif fonts tend to be harder on the eyes when read on a screen, which is why Verdana and Arial are used so often for web. The member mentioning above about the difficulty reading may not just be due to his font display settings, but because this new site uses Times (a serif font) for post content.

Any way to make it Verdana again?

wannab@dis

Awesome job with the new forum software Steve! Everything from the navigation to the speed of the site is very good. But the BEST part is I no longer ignore the forums using my iPhone. So much better now.

Serif fonts tend to be harder on the eyes when read on a screen, which is why Verdana and Arial are used so often for web. The member mentioning above about the difficulty reading may not just be due to his font display settings, but because this new site uses Times (a serif font) for post content.

If there is one thing that I agree that would make this 100% perfect upgrade would be changing the default font to a sans-serif font. I've used Trebuchet / Helvetica for many sites lately and IMO look better and fresher than Verdana/Arial. But, any sans-serif would be nice. :D

Overall, Great job! Thanks for your hard work.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If there is one thing that I agree that would make this 100% perfect upgrade would be changing the default font to a sans-serif font. I've used Trebuchet / Helvetica for many sites lately and IMO look better and fresher than Verdana/Arial. But, any sans-serif would be nice. :D

Overall, Great job! Thanks for your hard work.

The forum is indeed in Trebuchet / Helvetica - you should be seeing that if that font family is installed. Verdana/Arial are the fall back.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
@wdwmagic - Is there a place to change the default font for the boards for users, or is that done on the Admin side when designing a style?

Font is set specifically for a style.

wannab@dis

The forum is indeed in Trebuchet / Helvetica - you should be seeing that if that font family is installed. Verdana/Arial are the fall back.
Yes, I noticed the member information on left, nav, headers, etc appeared to be Trebuchet, but the actual post font is set to serifs in the messageText style. Not a big deal at all, just a personal preference. Be nice if the settings allowed users to select their base font. LOL

css.php:576
.message .messageText, .message .signature {
font-size: 11pt;
font-family: Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;
line-height: 1.4;
}

Love the element inspector in Firefox!

Uponastar

I've been in and out of Magic over the past few days, and I'm amazed at how quickly I've adapted to the changes. lol I actually like the new look now and love all the new perks. My only wish is that the background color was something other than white. (I am using Liquid Dimmed.) No real reason why...I just was used to the blue, I guess. Still, that's a minor detail. All in all, I like it!
P.S. > I did miss our old smilies, too. But I found them all and saved them to copy and paste.
crown.gif

I'm a happy camper!
hurray.gif

The Mom

Premium Member
I've been in and out of Magic over the past few days, and I'm amazed at how quickly I've adapted to the changes. lol I actually like the new look now and love all the new perks. My only wish is that the background color was something other than white. (I am using Liquid Dimmed.) No real reason why...I just was used to the blue, I guess. Still, that's a minor detail. All in all, I like it!
P.S. > I did miss our old smilies, too. But I found them all and saved them to copy and paste.
crown.gif

I'm a happy camper!
hurray.gif

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Hit the dark blue band, and you can choose WDWMagic Classic, or WDWMagic Classic Liquid. Voila! Blue background.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom