FBI discounts report that Disney was possible target

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.miami.com/herald/digdocs/016995.htm

FBI discounts report that Disney was possible target

LOS ANGELES -- (AP) -- The FBI is discounting reports that Disneyland and Walt Disney World in Orlando were among possible targets canvassed by terrorists linked to Osama bin Laden.

``There are numerous stories in the media about terrorists targeting Walt Disney World or Disneyland. The FBI is not aware of any specific or credible threat against theme parks,'' the bureau said in a statement.

``If we or any other agency had specific threat information, we would immediately notify the intended target and the potentially affected public.''

Published reports in newspapers this weekend said terrorist groups studied at least five sites for possible attacks in the United States, including Disneyland and Walt Disney World, the Sears Tower in Chicago, the Mall of America in Minnesota and unspecified sports complexes. The reports cited two senior Bush administration officials speaking on condition of anonymity about internal government reports.

The published reports said there was no evidence that attacks were planned on any of the buildings or theme parks.

Representatives of the buildings and theme parks mentioned said they had no reason to think their facilities were targeted.

Disneyland has ``not received anything from the FBI'' about a threat, said spokesman Ray Gomez in Anaheim.

Cheryl Mimura, FBI spokeswoman in Los Angeles, echoed that Sunday.

``If there was something specific obviously we would let the public know,'' she said.

Tramp

The image of these murderers talking about WDW or DL as potential targets should clear up any misgivings one may have about the goals we've set out to achieve.

Scooter

Thanks for posting this Steve..you are The Man:king:

I'm sure it will make my wife breathe a little easier when she reads this. She was nervous about our trip next week to The World. Hopefully this will put her mind at ease.

Flower

Steve - YOU ROCK!!!!

Your report really makes my day. We had made the decision to keep our plans (we are leaving in 2 1/2 weeks), but now I have a sense of relief.

Thanks so much for the post!

radioandy

peanut

My wife talked with a local FBI agent yesterday, about taking her choir to WDW is December. He told her basically what the above story said. He says the FBI has obtained lists of possible terrorist targets that includes just about every tall building, stadium or tourist spot there is...and the media focused on Disney World. He says there is no specific threat to WDW, and it's in no more or less danger than any other icon in the Western World. He says he would have no problem with his kids going to WDW in December.
That said, we still may not be going. Some kids and parents are afraid, and the Board of Ed. may make the decision for us.
Either way, we hope to do our share and at least make a private trip to Disney before the year's out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom