Favorite shoe choice for the parks?

DJ7203

I think sneakers would be the best choice because of comfort & support. I am just worried about going on a water ride or it raining & being stuck sloshing around in wet shoes. I don't think flip flops would be the best choice either, because they give no support at all & they could fly off on a ride. I sandals are also an option, but I worry about them hurting my feet after a few hours. Those are my only 3 options & I'm not sure which is best lol! What do you all prefer?

Weather_Lady

I think sneakers would be the best choice because of comfort & support. I am just worried about going on a water ride or it raining & being stuck sloshing around in wet shoes. I don't think flip flops would be the best choice either, because they give no support at all & they could fly off on a ride. I sandals are also an option, but I worry about them hurting my feet after a few hours. Those are my only 3 options & I'm not sure which is best lol! What do you all prefer?

Our days are typically split into two halves: a pavement-pounding morning with a rope drop arrival, and a more relaxed evening with a sit-down dinner and a more meandering touring plan. As a result, we like to wear good sneakers in the morning (typically running shoes rather than cross-trainers or walking shoes, because they offer better cushioning and breathability, and with moisture-wicking ankle socks). After our afternoon break, we change into comfy sandals (hiking sandals like Tevas - these are mine and I got lots of compliments on them at WDW, in some cases from other women wearing the same "model"!: http://www.teva.com/women-sandals/tirra/4266.html?dwvar_4266_color=SITA#start=1&cgid=) for the evening. Changing shoes mid-day also helps keep our feet from getting blisters. (Hiking sandals can be expensive, so I look for bargains online. I bought mine on eBay, brand new with tags, for less than half of the retail price.)

The exception to this rule is if we visit the Animal Kingdom and plan to ride Kali River Rapids, or if the forecast calls for a downpour: in that case, we skip the sneakers and wear our Tevas! I particularly recommend a hiking-style sandal in those situations because, unlike flip-flops or Crocs, which become dangerously slick and slippery when wet, hiking sandals offer stability and support in all conditions, and dry out in no time. Also, because they tend to be fully adjustable in just about every dimension, you can fit them to your feet and avoid any chafing that might lead to a blister. Knock on wood, using this little "system," no one in my family has ever had a blister or other "foot issue" on any of our trips to Disney World.

Whatever you decide to wear, be sure to break it in well before you go! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DJ7203

Original Poster
Our days are typically split into two halves: a pavement-pounding morning with a rope drop arrival, and a more relaxed evening with a sit-down dinner and a more meandering touring plan. As a result, we like to wear good sneakers in the morning (typically running shoes rather than cross-trainers or walking shoes, because they offer better cushioning and breathability, and with moisture-wicking ankle socks). After our afternoon break, we change into comfy sandals (hiking sandals like Tevas) for the evening. Changing shoes mid-day also helps keep our feet from getting blisters.

The exception to this rule is if we visit the Animal Kingdom and plan to ride Kali River Rapids, or if the forecast calls for a downpour: in that case, we skip the sneakers and wear our Tevas! I particularly recommend a hiking-style sandal in those situations because, unlike flip-flops or Crocs, which become dangerously slick and slippery when wet, hiking sandals offer stability and support in all conditions, and dry out in no time. Also, because they tend to be fully adjustable in just about every dimension, you can fit them to your feet and avoid any chafing that might lead to a blister. Knock on wood, using this little "system," no one in my family has ever had a blister or other "foot issue" on any of our trips to Disney World.

Whatever you decide to wear, be sure to break it in well before you go! :)

Thanks for the great suggestions! If we do decide to invest in any new shoes for the trip, we will be sure to break them in! I'm praying for nice weather, but we all know how FL summers are!

Upvote 0

PineapplePrincess

I'm a big fan of Fit Flops. I have several pairs. They are supportive like a sneaker, but IMO more comfortable. If you get some, make sure not to get the suede ones...they will color your feet if they get wet!

Upvote 0

ZachS

Bring at least two pairs. A pair of flip flops or crocs isn't a bad idea to give your feet a break from tennis shoes plus they are easy on a wet day but only if you can handle walking around in them for long periods.

Upvote 0

ZachS

We bought Adidas climacool shoes at Epcot on our last trip while it was raining heavily one day. They worked out great. Light weight, comfortable and the holes in them allowed the water to drain out quickly.

Upvote 0

Figaro928

My vote goes to Sketchers Gowalks. Comfy and lightweight. If they get wet, they dry easily. Wore them with no sock and never got stinky feet nor any blisters. I had bought two pair for my previous trip for myself. My mom - who doesn't do a lot of walking to begin with - brought flipflops. she was in agony until i gave her my second pair (thank goodness we have the same size feet) She was much happier with the Gowalks.

Not a bad price either - about $40 a pair.

Upvote 0

allgiggles

Nike Air Fingertrap Max!!!

In regards to getting wet on rides....while most people bring ponchos for their body, I bring one to wrap around my feet and lower legs. Yes I know it sounds "stoopid" but I hate when my feet are wet so I wrap the poncho around my feet (from knee down) and under so my feet are then on the lower rail on Kali. Four times with this method and zero moisture on my feet.

I also bring my Nike tennis shoes (Air Ballistics) and two other pair to rotate so I don't wear the same shoes on back to back days. If that's an option for you...do it. It makes a world of difference.

I'm the same way on Kali. I wear a poncho over my body and I bring a small plastic garbage/grocery bag that will fit over my shoes. I've done this for years. One year I had a not-so-friendly CM at Kali see me putting on my poncho and she said, "You know you're still going to get soaked. A rain poncho isn't going to do anything for you." I looked at her and said, "I've done this for years. I guarantee you I will be dry when I get off this ride even if I'm in the "seat of doom" when we go down the hill." Of course that CM was nowhere to be found when we got off the ride so she couldn't see that I was indeed dry.

Anyway, I always wear sneakers with moisture wicking socks at the parks. I take 2 different pair of sneakers and alternate them each day. I've never gotten a blister -- not even the year it rained constantly during our stay. Our shoes would be so wet by the end of the day that it would literally take 36 hours for them to dry out. While I don't enjoy wearing wet shoes, after a day or so of rain, I didn't notice the wet shoes anymore. :)

I can't wear flip flops at all -- not even at home -- so those aren't even option. I have flat feet and a low instep so keeping any kind of slip-on shoe on my foot is extremely fatiguing to my legs and feet. I also have a bad lower back and my hips and knees tend to get achy if not properly supported and aligned, so good athletic shoes are my footwear of choice most days. I do have a pair of Ecco sandals and a pair of LL Bean sandals that are supportive and I can wear for a few hours at a time. I take those along to Disney to wear around the resort at night or when going back and forth to the pool.

The best shoes to wear at Disney are the ones that feel best on your feet and keep you most comfortable. Just make sure to bring at least 2 or 3 pair so you can alternate and make sure they're somewhat broken in before you arrive.

Upvote 0

draybook

Has anyone ever worn the Jesus sandals? I always thought that they looked comfortable but hesitated at wearing sandals to a place with that much walking involved.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Has anyone ever worn the Jesus sandals? I always thought that they looked comfortable but hesitated at wearing sandals to a place with that much walking involved.
Are you talking about the plastic ones or more Birkenstocks?

I think a well broken in pair of Birkenstocks would wore great.

My HS kids I teach are obsessed with those plastic jandals( Jesus/sandals). I think it's more of a trend than comfort.

Upvote 0

draybook

Are you talking about the plastic ones or more Birkenstocks?

I think a well broken in pair of Birkenstocks would wore great.

My HS kids I teach are obsessed with those plastic jandals( Jesus/sandals). I think it's more of a trend than comfort.

The leather kind. Or faux leather or something. I've never owned a pair but I used to see dudes rocking them. Much like the ones here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naot-Lappla...2588255?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item46253edfdf

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

The leather kind. Or faux leather or something. I've never owned a pair but I used to see dudes rocking them. Much like the ones here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naot-Lappla...2588255?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item46253edfdf
I'd think a well worn in pair could be great since it's moulded to your foot. I'm on my feet most of the day anyways so I don't need a lot of extra support. My body is used to it.

I thought you were talking about these plastic things. The reviews say they are comfy! I just worry about blisters since the ones my kiddos wear look like $5 gas station shoes.
f0nrpf.jpg

Upvote 0

cfry06

I wear either my Reef flip flops or my Croc flip flops practically the entire time. I always pack sneakers for the trip, however I find my flops to be what I wear most of the time. We are big time walkers too - usually find we will walk about 10 miles on our Disney days.

The only time I developed blisters was when I had a pedicure the day before I left. With all of the fresh skin exposed, my feet rubbed and it wasn't pretty. So now I just plan my vacation pedi a few days prior to departure.

The new croc flops I just bought are amazing - feel like I'm walking on air. So light, and if it rains it will be a non-event. I also think that the reef and croc flops work week b/c the piece that goes between your toes is firmly attached to the base. It doesn't "pop" through the base and move up and down (not sure if that makes sense?) which I think can cause additional rubs.
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-chawaii-flip/15963,default,pd.html?cid=6HQ&cgid=women-footwear-sandals

My husband usually alternates days between his croc flops (look like leather flops but have the croc base) and his sneakers.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Merrells. Mr. CBS and I both wore Merrell sneakers with Champion Double Dry socks every day and never had a single blister. The shoes dried super fast whenever they got wet, were lightweight on our feet and can be thrown into the washing machine at need. If you can find an outlet store, you can get some great deals, but either way they're worth every penny.

MERRELLS on every trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom