Favorite Board Games

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Anyone here play board games while growing up? Do you still play them now? What were your favorites? Did you enjoy making people go bankrupt in Monopoly? Always touched the sides in Operation? List away!

I always liked Trouble and Guess Who, those were the games I played the most...oh and Splat or whatever it was called, lol.

prberk

Monopoly, if you have all night to play.

Apples to Apples if you have a fun crowd who will participate. (If you have people who don't get it and just want to read the word without the funny description, you are already in for a dreadful time.)

Password, the home edition of the classic game show, is currently out of print but only recently. It has always been a funny family favorite of ours.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've played board games all my life.

Childhood: Chutes & Ladders, some game that had apples and buckets (actual little plastic apples, cannot remember the name!--would have been late 60s early 70s), Uncle Wiggly, Life, Battleship. Parcheesi!

Later on: Scrabble, Clue, Mastermind (does that count as a board game?), Trivial Pursuit (so many card sets, including Disney!) Monopoly after I met my now husband, we never played it but his family did, Pictionary.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
In my last semester of high school, many of us started playing a game called One Night: Ultimate Werewolf. It's a logical deduction game where a team of villagers each with a unique role/action try to figure out which players are werewolves and expose them while the wolves trick the other players into voting for villagers. There's not really a board, but there are role cards.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Monopoly is a classic, but I also like this one too! :joyfull:

dog-opoly-monopoly-like-board-game-100-complete-late-for-the-sky_2053813.JPG

prberk

I've played board games all my life.

Childhood: Chutes & Ladders, some game that had apples and buckets (actual little plastic apples, cannot remember the name!--would have been late 60s early 70s), Uncle Wiggly, Life, Battleship. Parcheesi!

Later on: Scrabble, Clue, Mastermind (does that count as a board game?), Trivial Pursuit (so many card sets, including Disney!) Monopoly after I met my now husband, we never played it but his family did, Pictionary.

I forgot about Pictionary. That was fun. Remember "Win, Lose, or Draw"? That was, in effect, the TV version of Pictionary, and was hosted by Skippy himself (the best friend from "Family Ties," I think). I wonder whatever happened to that actor.

I also had forgotten about Trivial Pursuit. I went to college from 1984-'88, and I remember it being the biggest rage when I first started. Everyone played that. And I remember some people calling the "Genus Edition" the "Genius Edition," and of course we college geeks had to correct them. But many people probably (a) had never heard of "genus," and (b) thought you had a be a "genius" to play it.

By the way, if you like Parcheesi, you should watch the movie, On Golden Pond. It is featured in a pivotal scene. That is my favorite movie, and I will always associate Parcheesi with that movie, even though I did play it as a child.

And I think I remember a childhood game with apples and buckets, too. I was born in 1966, so we came along about the same time.

Thanks for the memories.

Nemo14

I think the apples game you're remembering was actually cherries. (Hi Ho Cherry-O) I remember it vaguely. We played Parcheesi a lot, and every summer there was always a long-term game of monopoly going on.

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I forgot about Pictionary. That was fun. Remember "Win, Lose, or Draw"? That was, in effect, the TV version of Pictionary, and was hosted by Skippy himself (the best friend from "Family Ties," I think). I wonder whatever happened to that actor.

I also had forgotten about Trivial Pursuit. I went to college from 1984-'88, and I remember it being the biggest rage when I first started. Everyone played that. And I remember some people calling the "Genus Edition" the "Genius Edition," and of course we college geeks had to correct them. But many people probably (a) had never heard of "genus," and (b) thought you had a be a "genius" to play it.

By the way, if you like Parcheesi, you should watch the movie, On Golden Pond. It is featured in a pivotal scene. That is my favorite movie, and I will always associate Parcheesi with that movie, even though I did play it as a child.

And I think I remember a childhood game with apples and buckets, too. I was born in 1966, so we came along about the same time.

Thanks for the memories.

Glad to supply them!!

I do remember Win, Lose or Draw, but I don't think I watched it often. I was more of a Match Game fan--or Hollywood Squares. That was a fun show!

My in-laws hated to play Trivial Pursuit because I always won. They collaborated to "stump" me and keep me from winning (or at least slow me down) one particular game, and I will never forget that particular bit of trivia. The question was "what is the name of the body of water that separates the US and Canada at their westernmost border?". It's the Strait of San Juan de Fuca, which I did not know then.

Incredibly for someone my age (got 3 years on you), I've never seen On Golden Pond. I will make a point of watching it. (I've never seen Forrest Gump, either :eek:)

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Monopoly. I got very competitive LOL. My cousins used to say, "When Anthony stands up towards the end of the game, you know it's good."

Candyland was a younger staple. Backgammon. Uno. Trouble. Scrabble. Sorry. Yahtzee. Boggle!! Parcheesi.

Once at a yard sale, another kid and myself found a board game called Pass Out. We ended up drinking a lot of soda, but could not understand the point of the game lol.

Then came Atari 2600 and it was pretty much all over.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Monopoly. I got very competitive LOL. My cousins used to say, "When Anthony stands up towards the end of the game, you know it's good."

Candyland was a younger staple. Backgammon. Uno. Trouble. Scrabble. Sorry. Yahtzee. Boggle!! Parcheesi.

Once at a yard sale, another kid and myself found a board game called Pass Out. We ended up drinking a lot of soda, but could not understand the point of the game lol.

Then came Atari 2600 and it was pretty much all over.

I'd forgotten about Candyland! Spent a lot of time at that one, too.

Was Trouble the one with the "hopper" in the middle?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom