Fate of Backlot Express?

Cmdr_Crimson

Am I the only one who puts Backlot Express on my itinerary because of the SW food offerings?lol

And yet they could make some crazy food for Indy like at Jock's...But, more exotic...Like A Monkey Brain's Cherry Slush...
331311.jpg

Robbiemoo

Although I'd be sad to see it go (many memories of eating here since I first visited in 1989) backlot express doesn't fit the new theme of the park.

I think it could easily be rethemed to Indy as some sort of dig site / artefact storage place., especially if we end up with an Indy land which think would be a good fit for the park

doctornick

Although I'd be sad to see it go (many memories of eating here since I first visited in 1989) backlot express doesn't fit the new theme of the park.

I think it could easily be rethemed to Indy as some sort of dig site / artefact storage place., especially if we end up with an Indy land which think would be a good fit for the park

I keep feeling that replacing the stunt show (and Backlot Express) with an Indy themed area would be a great idea, especially with a new movie on the horizon (2019). I can understand not working on anything now due to so much being shuttered already, but I'd like to see them put up some walls when TSL opens.

Kman101

I keep feeling that replacing the stunt show (and Backlot Express) with an Indy themed area would be a great idea, especially with a new movie on the horizon (2019). I can understand not working on anything now due to so much being shuttered already, but I'd like to see them put up some walls when TSL opens.

It also leaves the Star Tours ride next door open as well. A vast space. If Star Tours is definitely being replaced (and it sounds like it will), they could even shove Indy in there, though I can't picture a scenario that it works at the moment. Guardians would have been perfect for the Star Tours ride system. I'd prefer a new build for Indy at the stunt show, personally I'd like a water ride.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Star Tours is definitely being replaced (and it sounds like it will)

Well, that's a plan. I've posted elsewhere that I believe Disney inertia will leave Star Tours alone until they have a new "Land" to build adjacent to Muppet Courtyard.

But now, seeing the success of Rogue One, I'm wondering if any of the other SW stuff will actually leave the rest of the park once SWL is built. Will the new Land have a viewing area for a SW fireworks/projection show? Will it have a stage for trotting out the characters or for a First Order show of Force? Will it have a place for SW props and museums and M&G like Launch Bay?

If SW continues to be this popular for the next 6 to 8 years, I don't see anything SW being pulled back or yanked just because there's a dedicated land for it. We're all assuming it will, and the execs may be currently planning on it. But when the time comes and Star Tours and the M&Gs still have long lines... there may be little appetite to pull the plug on them (unless there's a new Land to make way for).

Magic Feather

Well, that's a plan. I've posted elsewhere that I believe Disney inertia will leave Star Tours alone until they have a new "Land" to build adjacent to Muppet Courtyard.

But now, seeing the success of Rogue One, I'm wondering if any of the other SW stuff will actually leave the rest of the park once SWL is built. Will the new Land have a viewing area for a SW fireworks/projection show? Will it have a stage for trotting out the characters or for a First Order show of Force? Will it have a place for SW props and museums and M&G like Launch Bay?

If SW continues to be this popular for the next 6 to 8 years, I don't see anything SW being pulled back or yanked just because there's a dedicated land for it. We're all assuming it will, and the execs may be currently planning on it. But when the time comes and Star Tours and the M&Gs still have long lines... there may be little appetite to pull the plug on them (unless there's a new Land to make way for).
The thing is, WDI wants 100% immersion contained in SW areas. I know that The SW processionals and fashion shows get the axe once SWE opens. Lots and lots of streetmosphere will be present there. No spectaculars will be in SWE, although one was considered and is prone to being reconsidered. Nightly fireworks may be visible from SWE, but barely. LB is still back and forth as to whether it stays open, with TDO's biggest problem being "what next" which they can't seem to answer (within a penny pinching range of course). No variation of LB will be in SWE, but a few props will be littered about.

DinoInstitute

It also leaves the Star Tours ride next door open as well. A vast space. If Star Tours is definitely being replaced (and it sounds like it will), they could even shove Indy in there, though I can't picture a scenario that it works at the moment. Guardians would have been perfect for the Star Tours ride system. I'd prefer a new build for Indy at the stunt show, personally I'd like a water ride.
If it were up to me, I'd make the whole south-east part of Echo Lake (with ST/Indy) a new land that's basically a Sci-fi adventure movie type land. It works with what's there now, as you can keep the Indy show and Star Tours for the time being, as well as SciFi drive in and Backlot Express (preferably rethemed somehow). The first big expansion could be towards the parking lots with maybe something Marvel, one ride that would be grander and high capacity and another smaller C ticket, and have it open before SWE. Then over time once crowds die down, ST can get the retheme along with the stunt show plot being replaced for a new Indy e-ticket.

There is still the fairly sizable expansion plot right next to SWE, so I would imagine that would be used for future SW development (as I'm sure there will be like you said).

doctornick

My idea for the Echo Lake would be to create a variation of the infamous Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition plans.... Do a huge combo show building that has a calm boat ride on the ground level and a second ride (either a roller coaster or preferable EMV) above and the rides "interact" and share some scenes. Heck, go all out and convert Backlot Express into a restaurant that overlooks part of the ride (i.e. like Blue Bayou in DL). I think that adding a water ride would be a good compliment to the existing/planned offerings at DHS and another thrill ride can cement the park as the more adventurous park in WDW's docket.

TJJohn12

For me, I'm looking at Hong Kong as a harbinger for what might be coming for Echo Lake. The ride system for the Iron Man Experience is almost a direct clone of Star Tours. With GotG potentially finding a home in Epcot (and thereby unnecessary for DHS), I could easily see ST being a Stark Research facility and Backlot Express being a Stark "employee cafeteria," with an Avengers Land stretching across where Indy is now and eating into the parking lot.

I know, east coast Marvel restrictions... but Spider-Man is in the MCU now. These contracts can get renegotiated, even when they seem impossible.

Princess Leia

For me, I'm looking at Hong Kong as a harbinger for what might be coming for Echo Lake. The ride system for the Iron Man Experience is almost a direct clone of Star Tours. With GotG potentially finding a home in Epcot (and thereby unnecessary for DHS), I could easily see ST being a Stark Research facility and Backlot Express being a Stark "employee cafeteria," with an Avengers Land stretching across where Indy is now and eating into the parking lot.

I know, east coast Marvel restrictions... but Spider-Man is in the MCU now. These contracts can get renegotiated, even when they seem impossible.
Maybe switch out 'Stark Research facility' and turn it into SHIELD, and 'employee cafeteria' with 'SHIELD cafeteria'. What's the licensing status on SHIELD on the East Coast? I know that the show isn't uber popular (I'm currently a couple episodes behind), but the ride could focus on fighting bad Inhumans with a quinjet.

Robbiemoo

My idea for the Echo Lake would be to create a variation of the infamous Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition plans.... Do a huge combo show building that has a calm boat ride on the ground level and a second ride (either a roller coaster or preferable EMV) above and the rides "interact" and share some scenes. Heck, go all out and convert Backlot Express into a restaurant that overlooks part of the ride (i.e. like Blue Bayou in DL). I think that adding a water ride would be a good compliment to the existing/planned offerings at DHS and another thrill ride can cement the park as the more adventurous park in WDW's docket.

I love this idea - you are so right that the studio needs a calm boat ride. A combination of this and an EMV ride would be a great addition to the park

Pam Hates Penguins

Has anyone heard of future plans for the Backlot Express area? With all the discussion lately on the fate of Star Tours, it's got me thinking.. If Star Tours building/ride mechanics are to be kept and eventually overlayed with a new IP, is there a chance we could see something happen to the BLE area before the new ST IP overlay happens? Or, is it the opposite.. If ST is to remain open until 2020ish, can we to expect BLE to remain closed up until 2020 as well; perhaps with the expectation that both could be combined into a new attraction or mini land? Also around that time I'm sure the fate of IJSS may be on the line. Combine IJSS, BLE and ST and you have a pretty decent chunk of real estate for another full size "land".
View attachment 180743

Well they want to get rid of the behind-the-scenes theme so...

HauntedMansionFLA

How many people can the INdy stunt show hold each showing? They will have to keep some people eating shows on that part of the park when SWL opens. Also, how many people does Frozen sing along (new movie 2019) and Muppets 3D hold?

MagicHappens1971

How many people can the INdy stunt show hold each showing? They will have to keep some people eating shows on that part of the park when SWL opens. Also, how many people does Frozen sing along (new movie 2019) and Muppets 3D hold?
I'm not sure how much Indy holds but frozen probably in the 300-500s, maybe more but the new theatre is much bigger than the one on SOA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom