Fast pass plus

jklakeview

Original Poster
Just saying what was told. I don't care about using RFID and that FP was going paperless. I don't like booking rides in advance though. He said it worked ok in trials but not great and didn't think that we'd be seeing it in full swing for a while he hated having to hold an IPAD all day and said the old system seemed better. He did say it would be ALL FREE to everyone in the park

WDW1974

This really sounds like it can be the one item that will really upset a lot of people that have remained loyal to WDW despite it's recent short comings. They have the potential to utilize RFID and electronic Fastpasses in a way that enhances guest experiences without it being a cash grab. The other option is going to be a kick in the groin to some of Disney's biggest fans.

Um ... ah ... yeah, there's a lot of things about FP+ that simply haven't been told yet and some that haven't been determined yet ... and the whole idea wasn't well thought out and will be a total disaster if implemented fully as planned (and many of Disney's OPs people have told MacPhee's team this).

But there will be NO traditional FP when this system is completely rolled out. None. Take that as you will.

Patricia Melton

I think that "Fast Pass" will be removed as a word and "Fast Pass+" will be the new entity. They are not taking away Fast Pass, they are creating a new thing that is replacing it. This new thing will be better and more magical for everyone.

Resort guests will have their bracelets they can wear and charge things to their rooms and get their fast passes that way...and then non-resort-guests will have their tickets they have to hold onto all day instead of the bracelets.

From what I understand, there will be no printed slips of paper for fast pass but it will all be electronic and if you have a smart phone you can check when your reservations for the attractions will be...but if you don't have a smart phone then you will be able to use your bracelet or ticket to check when it is on a screen somewhere.

Disney is eliminating the lost slips of paper that were printed out as fast passes. This is a good thing, because I know I've lost a lot of those things in the past!

My family is not big fast pass users and frankly if it's just my husband and me we don't even bother with them. We like to go with the flow and will line up for something if there is no big line, and we hit the rides we love first thing when we get to the parks to be able to enjoy them....and then usually swing by for one more ride on the way out at the end of the day. The whole fast pass culture is lost on us...I think it makes going to the parks too competitive.

I actually really enjoy being in the line and looking around, talking to the other people around me, having a little quiet time to just look around and see the sights from the line and get ready for the next experience. It's not my expectation in the parks to bop from one ride to the next with no waiting. I've actually been to the parks the week after Thanksgiving when Disneyland at least was totally dead and it was weird to walk from one ride to the next and jump right on. After a while, it got old and I missed being around the people.

M.rudolf

I think that "Fast Pass" will be removed as a word and "Fast Pass+" will be the new entity. They are not taking away Fast Pass, they are creating a new thing that is replacing it. This new thing will be better and more magical for everyone.

Resort guests will have their bracelets they can wear and charge things to their rooms and get their fast passes that way...and then non-resort-guests will have their tickets they have to hold onto all day instead of the bracelets.

From what I understand, there will be no printed slips of paper for fast pass but it will all be electronic and if you have a smart phone you can check when your reservations for the attractions will be...but if you don't have a smart phone then you will be able to use your bracelet or ticket to check when it is on a screen somewhere.

Disney is eliminating the lost slips of paper that were printed out as fast passes. This is a good thing, because I know I've lost a lot of those things in the past!

My family is not big fast pass users and frankly if it's just my husband and me we don't even bother with them. We like to go with the flow and will line up for something if there is no big line, and we hit the rides we love first thing when we get to the parks to be able to enjoy them....and then usually swing by for one more ride on the way out at the end of the day. The whole fast pass culture is lost on us...I think it makes going to the parks too competitive.

I actually really enjoy being in the line and looking around, talking to the other people around me, having a little quiet time to just look around and see the sights from the line and get ready for the next experience. It's not my expectation in the parks to bop from one ride to the next with no waiting. I've actually been to the parks the week after Thanksgiving when Disneyland at least was totally dead and it was weird to walk from one ride to the next and jump right on. After a while, it got old and I missed being around the people.
If what I'm told is at all accurate then this will not be magical or better, I do have to say I like your philosophy about you go about the parks though.

RSoxNo1

Regardless of the corporate spin that this post went through, I will say that making Fastpass an electronic process can work if it's only available to guests once they're in the park. I have no problem with giving extra perks to resort guests but eliminating Fastpass for non-resort guests will create a backlash.

Here's how you tier it:
Fastpass+ is available for any guest, they can schedule Fastpasses electronically and the distribution and acquisition rates will be comparable to the current system. This is what every day guest will have available.
Guests staying at Value Resorts will get one additional Fastpass+ that they can schedule in advance of entering the park
Guests staying at Moderate Resorts will get two additional Fastpass+'s that they can schedule in advance of entering the park
Guests staying at Deluxe or DVC resorts will get three additional Fastpass+'s that they can schedule in advance of entering the park

CaptainShortty

Fast pass on demand will be available at kiosks in the park. Not everyone is issued tickets for admittance. Disney has already announced that CM current "front gate" cards are being reused again next year. This pass works to get in and no other ticket is issued. To my knowledge there is no RFID in this pass at this time. Some of these cards are several years old and predate this technology. Paper tickets will still exist for a long while I think there will be an option of either media given.

Not everything is going to be virtual because many guests do not have technology to do it. Many people still do not have smart phones.

Supposedly RFID is coming in DEC to MK main gate.(The Dec date comes from what I was told while there are work last night)

It was on Channel 6 news that its starting roll out with annual passholders. I cannot find the link to the story right now.

CM maingates are used to get into the parks for gsts but when they are used the gsts are issued paper tickets to use throughout the rest of the day for park hopping, fastpasses, etc.

As far as what the CM has told you, no frontline CM has been briefed on what the opening stages of NGE are really going to entail. Of course all of it is speculated through tests and leaks (through sites like these) but none of it has been disclosed to frontline CMs. It was most recently disclosed to front line management across property in various townhall meetings this past week. Having attended that meeting I can tell you that some of what is being said on here is correct, some not so but I am sworn to secrecy until told otherwise by those who make much more than I so please do not even ask. We have not even been allowed to let any of our CMs know about any of it until we are given the greenlight by Kevin Myers and the NextGen team.

Tip Top Club

There really shouldn't be tiers based on what resort you're staying at...

Plus, like the spirit said, even though this project has been in development for YEARS, there are still a lot of important details that need to be determined. I've gotten shot down several times for trying to be a voice of reason when it comes to Fastpass+, but at the time the information I was getting was that it was no extra charge. If that changes, my voice of reason may turn into a scream.

awilliams4

This really sounds like it can be the one item that will really upset a lot of people that have remained loyal to WDW despite it's recent short comings. They have the potential to utilize RFID and electronic Fastpasses in a way that enhances guest experiences without it being a cash grab. The other option is going to be a kick in the groin to some of Disney's biggest fans.

I would suggest it could be argued that if you do not stay on site (at least for an out of town visitor) than maybe you are not meeting the loyalty threshold to being with.

SirLink

I would suggest it could be argued that if you do not stay on site (at least for an out of town visitor) than maybe you are not meeting the loyalty threshold to being with.

Or one could argue that people who are paying one day ticket prices should be offered something more than the resort guests - especially as if they want eat - you can't be spontaneous with dining reservations, after that you only have the slop they call counter service. Or if they want to buy a souvenir they are being charged 20% more for the same T-shirt you can buy in the outlets.

The whole of this plan just seems like an "AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHH" plan to stop the eroding resort room rate numbers and prices so we don't have to revalue compared to our competition of other deluxe, moderate and motels in O-town.

Instead of ya know build things that don't take 7 years from idea to being built but like the 18 month it took UC to go from idea to built for the Despicable Me attraction. To quote a film: "If you build it, they will come".

sweetpee_1993

I really don't like the vibe I'm getting on this FP+ crap. Yes, I called it crap because I feel like it is crap. A tremendous, sickening waste.

How are you eliminating paper FPs if day guests still have to carry around a paper ticket to use this system? If people couldn't avoid losing paper FPs, what makes them think day guests won't have problems losing their paper tickets???

As a girl, I can honestly say I'm in no hurry to be shackled with the RFID bracelets. In fact, I wouldn't wear it unless it coordinated in color and style with my outfit for the day. I'm sure all you boys are totally rolling your eyes but this is a facet to consider. Not everyone wants to wear those things. I'd either carry the thing in my bag or make someone else in my family wear mine.

SirLink

They could but I don't know if they would win that argument.

Well seen as there are a large number of one day tickets sold I believe the day guest is way more important than catering to your resort guests. Therefore, currently seen as there is a larger group of day guests than resort guests you should cater towards the majority not the minority.

Which is why the whole Next Gen plan is basically wanting you stay on property so they don't have to revalue room rates to be more competitive.

When Cabana Bay Beach Resort comes online and as we are entering the Golden Age of USF there will be more enticement to stay there than at Disney, especially as there most likely will be nothing new in terms of 'theme park firsts' and new things until 2017.

So if Disney wants to protect its declining room occupancy and profit:

a)They have to build exciting attractions and be innovative
b)Revaluate all the pricing of goods and services on property - to be more inline with other companies in o-town to grow their business.

awilliams4

Well seen as there are a large number of one day tickets sold I believe the day gust is way more important than catering to your resort guests.

I believe that whoever spends the most money, generally speaking, is the most catered to. Just like any other business.

CaptainShortty

All of these questions will be answered in due time, I promise. Because all of us managers had very similar questions when the plan was brought to us by the higher ups this past week. Patience young grasshoppers, patience. =)

GeneralKnowledge

Sometimes I wish that they would just get rid of Fastpass altogether and return to the glory days of just waiting in line. Honestly, since they've started really spending money on creating elaborate queues that entertain and distract guests, I think going back to the days of just having to wait wouldn't be so bad.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out though. Right now my gut feeling from the information I've heard makes it sound like this will be a train wreck.

Also, does anyone else think Fastpass or even Fastpass+ shouldn't be offered on any attractions that are continuous loaders like Buzz, HM, etc?

rudyjr13

All of these questions will be answered in due time, I promise. Because all of us managers had very similar questions when the plan was brought to us by the higher ups this past week. Patience young grasshoppers, patience. =)

Being sensitive to the secrecy you must keep, I'd love to hear from a manager in the parks your general feelings on the current state of WDW that you must be reading on here. Specifically the maintenance issues with current rides (Splash, Thunder, Imagination) and transportation (monorails).

Brian Noble

the idea of day guests paying for FP should not be overlooked.
And it should not surprise anyone. Disney is leaving a LOT of money on the table by not more directly monetizing FP. Both of the other operators that had a free virtual queueing product (Universal, Cedar Fair) abandoned it. All of the other major players (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Universal) plus at least one minor one (Herschend) have some form of paid virtual queueing and/or pay-to-cut, and all have been actively expanding it.

There is a lot of guest goodwill in a free VQ system, and Disney does pay more attention to goodwill than the other operators. But, from where I sit, it is only a matter of when, not if.

Edited to add:

When Cabana Bay Beach Resort comes online and as we are entering the Golden Age of USF
If memory serves, the new resort does not include Express. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

ParentsOf4

And it should not surprise anyone. Disney is leaving a LOT of money on the table by not more directly monetizing FP. Both of the other operators that had a free virtual queueing product (Universal, Cedar Fair) abandoned it. All of the other major players (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Universal) plus at least one minor one (Herschend) have some form of paid virtual queueing and/or pay-to-cut, and all have been actively expanding it.
It's really rather sad. At one time, WDW lead the way. Everyone else was always trying to catch up to WDW. If they move to a FP pay-to-play system then, like so many other things as of late, they will be following someone else's lead. What happened to WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom