Fast Furious delayed till 2018

Animaniac93-98

The last two FF movies made over $1.2 billion worldwide. You don't make that kind of box office appealing only to white, male, American "trash". Redgardless of what you think of their quality, they appeal to a range of demographics and markets.

Regarding demographics on the last two movie's USA opening weekends from BOM:

"The movie's audience was split evenly between men (51 percent) and women, and skewed a bit older (56 percent over the age of 25). According to Universal's exit polls, Hispanic moviegoers made up a whopping 37 percent of the audience this weekend." [Furious 7]

"The film scored an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences which were 58% male vs. 42% female. Of that audience, 50% were under the age of 25 and further demographics show the opening weekend audience was made up of 41% Caucasian moviegoers, 26% Hispanic, 19% African American and 11% Asian." [Fate of the Furious]

Disneyhead'71

Really?

I thinking this was you 9 years ago from Doz Boards. Vilified for this post
"I am in Orlando for 9 days for my kid's school vacation week. We have been to Disney a few times, and unless you are brain dead (or working with a double digit IQ), how many times can you go to the same park? So, to change things up, my family and I went to Universal for the first time yesterday, 4/12/08. All I can ask is; who gave out the free passes to the trailer park and is there anyone in Orlando under 250 lbs, with all their teeth and who doesn't have a tattoo?

The morning started easily enough, we arrived at 10:00 AM and lucked out getting a parking spot at the top of the garage right in front of the escalator. We chose to start out in Universal Studios, had our pictures taken with Lisa Simpson, and in we went. As it turns out, my first interaction with anyone was in line for meal bracelets with a gentleman from England. He was intelligent, well rounded, and we had a nice conversation about world events and politics. (He doesn't think Gordon Brown is any better than Tony Blair, and we both agreed Bush is a moron)

The first thing we noticed was how many adults were there without children. The second thing we noticed was how many of those adults were morbidly obese. I have never seen so many overweight people together since, well, Disney World. It must be the never ending parade of crappy chain and fast food restaurants that litter every road in Orlando. I swear, the people in Orlando wouldn't know good food if they over ate it since their taste buds must have been destroyed by all the processed food they've ingested over the years.

Speaking of food (if you want to call it food), the fare offered through the meal plan is terrible at best, and disgusting at worst. Pizza, hamburgers, fried food, fat, sodium, cholesterol and chemicals, all part of a typical American's diet. But the ultimate in gross food, the giant turkey leg. Are you kidding me? There is nothing like seeing a 450 lb. woman in a motorized cart because she is too obese to walk, stuffing her fat face with a huge turkey leg while she has a huge soft pretzel and a bag of candy in her cart basket. Nice.

While I am on the subject, for those of you who are not particularly intelligent, I would like to point out the universally accepted signs of ignorance (in no particular order). Tattoos, wife beaters or tank tops, jean shorts, cigarettes, chewing gum, stretch pants, T-shirts with stupid slogans on them, missing teeth, don't wash your hands after using the bathroom, wear your baseball cap sideways or backwards, have your child on a leash, wear tight shorts and a bikini top while you are over weight, don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and mullets. All of which were in tremendous supply at Universal. If you fall into any of these categories then you are a disgusting, ignorant loser, and a proud typical American. Congratulations.

Next topic, beer and cigarettes. As much as I was blown away by the amount of people smoking cigarettes anywhere they wanted, which was confirmed by the amount of cigarette butts on the ground everywhere, I was more disgusted by the amount of beer being sold on every corner. People were walking around with their children, sucking on beer bottles at very attraction. Incredibly, they were actually selling beer in the line to Disaster! I saw empty beer bottles everywhere; on the street, on benches, in bushes, in plants. And where were the park employees to clean up the mess? Either they were invisible, they were disguised as trees, or they didn't exist. There was litter all over the park. And what's with the parents drinking at the bar at Finnegan's while their children waited for them at the table?

Ironically, the best attraction at Universal was Disaster. The volunteer "actors" and filming were entertaining, the ride was good, and the film and Christopher Walken were very funny. I would have liked to see Jaws, but it broke down and never re-opened. Twister was very good, as was Shrek. Men in Black was dated and a waste of time.

We went to Islands of Adventure and really enjoyed the coasters, but enjoyed watching all the thug kids and their outfits better. You have to love the oversized, gaudy jewelry and gold teeth. And what's with the girls and their ridiculously tight shorts and bikini tops? If you have a great body then that's one thing, but needless to say, that was few and far between.

We passed through Riverwalk on our way out and were surprised to see how many bars and drinking you had to pass through with your children. I also saw that a school was having their prom there and that some "lucky" couple actually got married at Universal and was having their reception at the Hard Rock Hotel. I swear I am not making that up.

I could go on, but you get the drift. Although there was one thought my wife and I asked ourselves once we left, "how can all these people afford to come here?"

Troy1288, Apr 13, 2008"

Might want to read the replies
https://www.disboards.com/threads/universal-white-trash-is-disney-next.1790350/
This is a Hard Rock Hotel wedding set up. It screams classless white trash. I'm putting it in spoilers because there may be kids viewing this thread and I wouldn't want to expose them to such horrors.
Copy_of_keisha078_1.JPG
And we can talk class all we want. But this is the stereotypical Disney demo:
ccc.jpg

JT3000

That's not me. Look, for years I didn't want to believe it but when you spend lots of time at both resorts and look at them both objectively, it's not to hard to see that the clientele is trashier than at Disney. It is of course a very small percentage overall. A big reason is that the local trash doesn't get Disney AP's, they get Universal. I'm also not saying that all of central Floridians are trashy people but the trash that does exist is rarely seen at Disney.

Just to be fair, Disney has the higher percentage of coddled, entitled types that get angry at everything.

I'm almost laughing too hard to even respond to this, but using your logic regarding AP holders, that would make Disney the trashier of the two, as tourists are far worse on average than the "local trash" could ever hope to be. In my experience, the locals are usually the most well behaved people in the entire park! And dear god, the things I've seen at Disney...

What the heck is "the trashy demographic" as it concerns moviegoers anyway? I didn't know it was trashy to like action flicks. What must I do to redeem myself? Will watching a bunch of chick flicks starring Meryl Streep make me a classy person? I must know.

Tom Morrow

I'm almost laughing too hard to even respond to this, but using your logic regarding AP holders, that would make Disney the trashier of the two, as tourists are far worse on average than the "local trash" could ever hope to be. In my experience, the locals are usually the most well behaved people in the entire park! And dear god, the things I've seen at Disney...

What the heck is "the trashy demographic" as it concerns moviegoers anyway? I didn't know it was trashy to like action flicks. What must I do to redeem myself? Will watching a bunch of chick flicks starring Meryl Streep make me a classy person? I must know.
Let me put it another way: I see more "Florida mans" at Universal than Disney. Again it's a small percentage of their clientele but it's enough that I noticed after years of convincing myself it wasn't true because WWoHP raised the bar so much for the industry.

Or to put it yet another way. I think we can all agree that Halloween Horror Nights attracts a lot of trashy folks who wouldn't normally go to a theme park. There are times when the normal crowds at Universal feel like this. On Saturdays particularly.

You all can stop freaking out as if I said "all Universal guests are trash" now.

"U not like macho movie??? U must like chick flick then!! Lol!!!!"

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Let me put it another way: I see more "Florida mans" at Universal than Disney. Also Pine Hills' finest, trashy teens, etc. Again it's a small percentage of their clientele but it's enough that I noticed after years of convincing myself it wasn't true because WWoHP raised the bar so much for the industry.

"U not like macho movie??? U must like chick flick then!! Lol!!!!"
I believe what you may be perceiving is simply that Universal's demo is less ummm, there is no politic way to say it, but "White Conservative" dominated than Disney's. Some people find that discomforting.

How much crossover do you think there is in the F&F demo and Dunkirk's.

My guess is not much even though Dunkirk has action out the wazoo. And not even many big confusing words, you'ld think they would eat it up.

Tom Morrow

I believe what you may be perceiving is simply that Universal's demo is less ummm, there is no politic way to say it, but "White Conservative" dominated than Disney's. Some people find that discomforting.
Rednecks. I'm mainly talking about rednecks. And I see more of them at Universal.

I'm as liberal as they come and would prefer to never see ultra conservatives.

Disneyhead'71

Rednecks. I'm mainly talking about rednecks. And I see more of them at Universal.

I'm as liberal as they come.
Oh, with the Pine Hills reference I was confused. Most of the Pine Hills youths are not Universal AP holders. If they are lucky they have a parent that works there and can walk them in.

Now, as far as local Rednecks, I do see Universal appealing to them more than Disney. But they aren't the trailer park trash Rednecks from Bithlo. They are the well to do rural folks from West Orange/Winter Garden. And they showed up in an $80K Harley-Davidson Edition Yukon.

But then WDW has a large base in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. So it probably works out.

Tom Morrow

This is touchy because I know somebody is going to interpret this as "you don't like seeing black people at your theme park" and that isn't what I mean at all. I'm referring to the legit gang activity and thugs from places like Pine Hills. Riff-raff like this being the reason Universal has to increase their security five-fold for Halloween Horror Nights, Mardi Gras, and other major events in addition to having a heavy presence of Orange County police.

Disneyhead'71

This is touchy because I know somebody is going to interpret this as "you don't like seeing black people at your theme park" and that isn't what I mean at all. I'm referring to the legit gang activity and thugs from places like Pine Hills. Riff-raff like this being the reason Universal has to increase their security five-fold for Halloween Horror Nights, Mardi Gras, and other major events in addition to having a heavy presence of Orange County police.
The problems at HHN and Mardi Grad aren't gang activity it is young adults and alcohol. And I won't argue that things don't get crazy sometimes at alcohol oriented events. But these are the same folks that in 10 years will be doing the exact same thing at Food and Wine after they grow up.....a little.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Any time you get a bunch of people together with many 16-26 year olds you will get lively behavior. Nature of the beast. They had a real gang problem at the Savannah coaster fair and people were shot several years in a row, many real fights etc. etc. The fair doesn't exist any more for that reason.
Here is a story all those that call me a UniTard/Wand Waver don't know. I was banned from Universal for a year not so long ago because I got into a physical altercation with one of those Rednecks @Tom Morrow was referring too. Before I even got into HHNs on the first night in 2014. This drunk guy made a comment about my daughters posterior. I said, "Dude, she's my daughter and she's 13." I won't say what he said. But my response was "Go home, you're drunk, your sister is waiting for you in the barn." He decided he wanted to dance, and took a swing at me. I dislocated his shoulder as I took him down. And as we were rolling around security showed up. I got a year ban. He got life. Apparently Security saw him swing on me.

So no. I'm on the "No Hire" list. Not that I've tried being a professional news photog in a top 20 market. But it was a pain being in local media. During that year I couldn't cover anything at Uni. I was the morning show guy, anytime Uni had a morning press event my station had to adjust. Frowns from superiors.

I grew up with Disney. I was enraptured by Walt on TV in '60s and reruns into the '70s. I was blown away with staying at the Poly for my 8th birthday Dec. '71. EPCOT Center '82 was jaw dropping. Sadly, after EPCOT Center, I never wanted to be slowly dragged through a Madam Tussaud's again. Dazzle me with Screenz! Just please God, don't show me a mannequin dressed like Indiana Jones swinging from a rope.

af127229e312c318147815e2de8545df--indiana-jones-adventure-disneyland-trip.jpg

(PS: The comment before about me dislocating some drunk redneck's shoulder as I took him down is totally true. He took a ridiculous roundhouse swing at me. And in an awesome Jean Claude Van Damme move, I grabbed his arm and tried to shove him down, he resisted. I used my weight and what I imagine looked more like Paul Blart: Mall Cop than Jean Claude Van Damme, I fell on his shoulder area with my belly totally blowing out his shoulder. It was the famous Po's Belly Blow Out Ninga move. Totally planned.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Here is a story all those that call me a UniTard/Wand Waver don't know. I was banned from Universal for a year not so long ago because I got into a physical altercation with one of those Rednecks @Tom Morrow was referring too. Before I even got into HHNs on the first night in 2014. This drunk guy made a comment about my daughters posterior. I said, "Dude, she's my daughter and she's 13." I won't say what he said. But my response was "Go home, you're drunk, your sister is waiting for you in the barn." He decided he wanted to dance, and took a swing at me. I dislocated his shoulder as I took him down. And as we were rolling around security showed up. I got a year ban. He got life. Apparently Security saw him swing on me.

So no. I'm on the "No Hire" list. Not that I've tried being a professional news photog in a top 20 market. But it was a pain being in local media. During that year I couldn't cover anything at Uni. I was the morning show guy, anytime Uni had a morning press event my station had to adjust. Frowns from superiors.

I grew up with Disney. I was enraptured by Walt on TV in '60s and reruns into the '70s. I was blown away with staying at the Poly for my 8th birthday Dec. '71. EPCOT Center '82 was jaw dropping. Sadly, after EPCOT Center, I never wanted to be slowly dragged through a Madam Tussaud's again. Dazzle me with Screenz! Just please God, don't show me a mannequin dressed like Indiana Jones swinging from a rope.

af127229e312c318147815e2de8545df--indiana-jones-adventure-disneyland-trip.jpg

(PS: The comment before about me dislocating some drunk redneck's shoulder as I took him down is totally true. He took a ridiculous roundhouse swing at me. And in an awesome Jean Claude Van Damme move, I grabbed his arm and tried to shove him down, he resisted. I used my weight and what I imagine looked more like Paul Blart: Mall Cop than Jean Claude Van Damme, I fell on his shoulder area with my belly totally blowing out his shoulder. It was the famous Po's Belly Blow Out Ninga move. Totally planned.

Dude. I kicked your a** and you know it.

:cautious:

[/QUOTE] I'm referring to the legit gang activity and thugs from places like Pine Hills. Riff-raff like this being the reason Universal has to increase their security five-fold for Halloween Horror Nights, Mardi Gras, and other major events in addition to having a heavy presence of Orange County police.[/QUOTE]

Are you for real? Halloween Horror Nights and other events are their biggest and busiest night of the year. I work in the Amusement industry and for every big event i organise i up the security not due to riff raff as you call them but due to the fact we are a lot busier and for safety reasons. Here in the UK we are also required and I imagine you guys in the states to provide adequate security for the number of guests attending your event.

JT3000

Uh, well, at least a few arrests are made every night of the event it seems.

It's more than a few. But it's also a moot point unless you're attending HHN, because the clientele and their behavior is drastically different from normal. And even then, with so many people in the park, you're not too likely to have any run-ins with the troublemakers yourself. I've been attending HHN several times a year for the past 16 years and I've rarely seen any unusal hijinks, much less felt uncomfortable because of the other guests.

misterID

I went to HHN two years ago and will never go again, specifically because of the crowd. A bunch of douchey drunks, wannabe thugs, loud teens and a pretty much a miserable group of people I really don't want to be around. And the later it gets the worse the behavior is.

The drunken hipster douches were the worst. The WORST.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Yeah, see, while you may not see too many of these people on a typical day at Universal, they are indeed part of Universal's demographic.

misterID

Yeah, see, while you may not see too many of these people on a typical day at Universal, they are indeed part of Universal's demographic.
I don't think that's totally fair. Although you don't have the amount of families with small kids as WDW, I think the crowds are from the same basic spectrum. The day crowd was totally different than the HHN crowd and the vibe is completely different. HHN is way more adult, the tickets aren't as expensive and the atmosphere is more alcohol fueled and crass. That's not representative of UNI's regular crowds, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom