'Fantasmic!' Renovation Concepts; Thoughts?

Dr.GrantSeeker

I also got to see Fantasmic on Saturday. It was awesome, much better than the old show. It 100% blows the DHS version out of the water. Is our version of Fantasmic slated to get any updating? I thought I read somewhere on these boards it was but cant remember for sure.

Jeremy P

I really like DL's new version but two things really didn't seem right to me. The first being the Pirates scene. I didn't feel like it fit because this is clearly a show about the animation world and we throw in a live action film and there's the fact that it's VERY obvious that the original special effects didn't work as intended and so they went with "plan B." The second thing is the princess scene. It's a very small gripe but at the end of the Tangled scene, they should have either scrapped the last "now that i see you" or cut the very last "tale as old as time". They both are that last little soft spot in the song but played back to back, it just feels poorly mashed. Again, small gripe and easily fixed.

tirian

I really like DL's new version but two things really didn't seem right to me. The first being the Pirates scene. I didn't feel like it fit because this is clearly a show about the animation world and we throw in a live action film and there's the fact that it's VERY obvious that the original special effects didn't work as intended and so they went with "plan B." The second thing is the princess scene. It's a very small gripe but at the end of the Tangled scene, they should have either scrapped the last "now that i see you" or cut the very last "tale as old as time". They both are that last little soft spot in the song but played back to back, it just feels poorly mashed. Again, small gripe and easily fixed.
I watched the video but will see it live in two months.

Everyone's two gripes are right: POTC doesn't fit with anything else, and Tangled shouldn't have replaced the Snow White/Evil Queen transition. Similar to Happily Ever After, Star Wars, and WOC, Disney's latest night shows have been technically astounding with amateurish narratives. Otherwise, the show looks nice and polished.

Fantasmicguy

We definitely need an improvement. It's insane we don't even have the upgraded dragon yet! I would think literally right now would be the best time to close the attraction and just make the Star Wars Fireworks and The Movie Projection show pick up the slack while we get the proper upgrades. After watching the effects of Disneylands version I can barely defend the Disney World version at all. We NEED updates at least by the time Star Wars: GE opens up.

Kman101

Everyone's two gripes are right: POTC doesn't fit with anything else, and Tangled shouldn't have replaced the Snow White/Evil Queen transition. Similar to Happily Ever After, Star Wars, and WOC, Disney's latest night shows have been technically astounding with amateurish narratives. Otherwise, the show looks nice and polished.

I liked Flynn and Rapunzel's addition but agreed that it didn't help the transition to the Evil Queen. Couldn't they afford another barge? LOL

Nmoody1

Total missed opportunity with the Tangled section not having drones to recreate the floating lanterns!

Aside from that, I loved the new show. I did find pirates a bit hard to follow... maybe it's better in person.

I was also hoping for some of the vocals from the Tokyo version to be added.

TP2000

How funny! I went over to Disneyland tonight to catch the third showing at 11:30pm and had a blast. I didn't have to put up with the bigger crowds of the first two shows, had a lobster roll and a mint julep in New Orleans Square before the show and had a fabulous view from center stage, second terrace from the river.

The show is absolutely stunning visually and audibly. It doesn't really come across well on the YouTube videos I'd seen a few days ago, but the projections and mist screens are one hundred times better and clearer, and the audio was always good but now it's crisp and booming and chest-pounding. There's so much to like about this show, and in person I even enjoyed the new Pirates segment even though I thought I would miss Peter Pan. And to twist the knife even more, the Pirates segment got the loudest and most enthusiastic response from the crowd.

On my drive home tonight I had thought "I wonder if they'll ever update the DHS version using some of this new tech?" There's certainly a lot they could do with the mountain and the amphitheater, if TDO wanted to.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Pirates music is more dramatic for that scene, I was ok with it. Also, compared to Pocahontas on a canoe, it's infinitely better.

DancingPhoenix

It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off. And it also depends on future plans for the area.

I know you can't go into specifics but future plans for the area, like update or overhaul-get-rid-of-Fantasmic! ? I could see the lack of update being because they want to replace it but I so hope that isn't the case.

peoplemover

I am in the minority here, but I saw Fantasmic at Disneyland last night, and I definitely prefer Orlando's version. Seems like there's a heavy use of water projections over physical characters than it seems in Orlando. And the story didn't seem as cohesive. Just my $.02 but I was expecting more considering all the positive things people have said about it.

admiral-ari-x

I think Fantasmic is such a classic at this point, I would certainly hope that it sticks around in the future for DHS! As for complaints with the new DL show, I could go on about Pirates but my point is the sane as everyone else's. I think that DHS has a lot more live action sequences, so losing Pocahontas is really going to bite. Aladdin, Tangled, or PatF (please, please, please) would be great replacements, as would Moana! And I just love all the goofy villain placement in the DHS show, mixing up really competent baddies like Ursula and the Evil Queen with Frollo and Hades (evil for sure, but they don't fit the tone as well) It always cracks me up seeing them all together, and I really hope that isn't lost in the future.
As for the dragon, I heard that the animatronic dragon cannot be so easily implemented in Florida because of space, is this true? And if so, could this be fixed with time?

trainplane3

As for the dragon, I heard that the animatronic dragon cannot be so easily implemented in Florida because of space, is this true? And if so, could this be fixed with time?
That's something I have a hard time believing. DHS has a dedicated stage for this show while DL sticks it in RoA and manages to have a not-torn-curtain-looking, competent moving dragon. I watched the DHS version last year thinking our dragon wasn't that bad... after seeing DL's, I was so wrong.

After seeing DL's upgraded version, that made me not even want to go see DHS's version until it gets upgraded. The lighting and projections added to their show really made it look amazing. I'm not sure about the pirates scene though, didn't hate it but it did seem awkward to follow. Just seemed like a lot of swinging around without getting anything accomplished? When I make it out to DL one day (next year possibly?), this will be show I make sure to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom