Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

VJ

Another reason why I love how Tokyo Disney Resort is run is because they focus more on other Disney films and things that are hardly attention at WDW and Disneyland instead of the same six properties. Look at "Happiness Is Here" which focuses on popular and past Disney (And Pixar) films. This also includes lesser known Disney characters from the past.

This parade from the early 2000's even featured various characters from the Silly Symphony shorts.

What does Tokyo have to do with Fantasmic! at Disneyland in California?

brb1006

What does Tokyo have to do with Fantasmic! at Disneyland in California?
Because he mentioned about the overuse of popular Disney films and how underused past Disney films are. Sure this had nothing to do with both but it sorta reminded me of how the non-US parks are able to acknowledge the older films and characters most of which are used at DL and WDW.

HMF

Yes, I have seen Third Man on the Mountain a number of times. Like all of the 50's Disney live action movies, it's not very good but does have a Disney sweetness to it. The movie is all about mountain climbing. Disney could never make a ride based on mountain climbing but a state of the art roller coaster inside a mountain is something unique and adapted well to the movie since they bobsled in Sweden. To keep the tie to movie, Disney would have mountain climbers scale Matterhorn.

Adventureland and Frountierland may not have had a real connection to the True Life Adventures but Disney sure did market them that way through the show.
If todays Disney did Third Man on the Mountain and then the Matterhorn. It would not be called the Matterhorn, It would be called "Third Man on the Mountain-Bobsled run". Push the BRAND not the ride itself.

SuddenStorm

I want to know if Disney is doing this update properly. I think it should be rerecorded, rescored, and re animated to make the show cohesive and unique, like F! 1.0, and not a clip show like WoC.

Last edited:

Phroobar

If todays Disney did Third Man on the Mountain and then the Matterhorn. It would not be called the Matterhorn, It would be called "Third Man on the Mountain-Bobsled run". Push the BRAND not the ride itself.
I agree with you on that. It would be in a mini land called Third Man on the Mountain Land.

VJ

I want to know if Disney is doing this update properly. I think it should be rerecorded, rescored, and re animated to make the show cohesive and unique, like F! 1.0, and not a clip show like WoC.
I assume they're redoing the score, considering it's having new segments put in. I just hope it lives up to the 1992 show which honestly comes as close as possible to absolute perfection.

Emmanuel

Most likely doing all the above. Especially if the transitions to the new scenes are to work properly

Figments Friend

Hoping for a lush, symphonic score....a nice nod would be to keep the Show's main theme and song present in some form in the new edition.

Really hoping for some neat live performance segments and transitions.
There were some clever things done with the staging and presentation choices in the previous incarnation(s).
I would like to assume that such cleverness will be built upon and enhanced, not diminished, in the new version of 'Fantasmic!'

-

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I wish we knew the budget on this update. Disney is spending a lot of money in DCA with the Marvel stuff and new tower, and a lot of money redoing the rivers and building SWL.

Makes me wonder how much they're willing to spend on this update.

D

Deleted member 107043

An article was published today in the LA Times outlining Disney's current plans for the inclusion of Marvel IP in its theme parks and cruise ships, but doesn't mention how many dollars are being spent. It also doesn't appear that any of the projects in the works will match the scope of the two SW Lands being built here in the US. Still, from the number of projects being worked on it looks to be a significant investment.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-disney-marvel-20170302-story.html

SuddenStorm

An article was published today in the LA Times outlining Disney's current plans for the inclusion of Marvel IP in its theme parks and cruise ships, but doesn't mention how many dollars are being spent. It also doesn't appear that any of the projects in the works will match the scope of the two SW Lands being built here in the US. Still, from the number of projects being worked on it looks to be a significant investment.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-disney-marvel-20170302-story.html

Disney is spending a ton of money on multiple ventures for their parks right now, from SWL, the rivers, Marvel, and the new parking structure.

It makes me worried that with so much money going so many different places for the parks, the budget for this Fantasmic! update won't be as high as the show deserves, and that it will be done on the cheap (like the Guardians overlay) and lower the overall quality of the show.

VJ

I wish we knew the budget on this update. Disney is spending a lot of money in DCA with the Marvel stuff and new tower, and a lot of money redoing the rivers and building SWL.

I wonder that myself. Depends on if the ROA budget is lumped in with the Star Wars construction allotment or not, I guess.

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney is spending a ton of money on multiple ventures for their parks right now, from SWL, the rivers, Marvel, and the new parking structure.

It makes me worried that with so much money going so many different places for the parks, the budget for this Fantasmic! update won't be as high as the show deserves, and that it will be done on the cheap (like the Guardians overlay) and lower the overall quality of the show.

Fantasmic!! is not a low-budget affair. TDA/WDI are both aware of the expectations going into this and that this was not the project to cheap out on.

Figments Friend

That is good to hear.....tthat hey are well aware of this being high stakes affair and 'cheapening' the new edition would be unwelcome.
Makes it sound all the more promising.

Very much looking forward to what it will entail once the new edition of the Show is finalized.
Opening Night is going to be fantastic.
:)

-

GiveMeTheMusic

That is good to hear.....tthat hey are well aware of this being high stakes affair and 'cheapening' the new edition would be unwelcome.
Makes it sound all the more promising.

Very much looking forward to what it will entail once the new edition of the Show is finalized.
Opening Night is going to be fantastic.
:)

-

The show content has been finalized - but getting anyone to blab about it has proven to be difficult! ;)

Practical Pig

Today's Mice Chat update has some rumored info on the new Fantasmic! They say, among other things, that the show will be (slightly) re-named to Fantasmic!! with two exclamation points to stand for Fantasmic 2.0, that they are have great difficulty in getting the digital mapping to work on the moving Columbia and performers in the new POTC sequence, and that in the princess segment, Snow White is being replaced by a "top secret" princess. Hmm. Do I feel a chill?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom