Family vacation 2019!

Andy_0410

Hi guys

Just starting to put together a large family vacation for 2019
I am an experienced Walt Disney worlder so I know all about dining plans which hotel offers what but never done this for more than 2 people
So any advice for 5 adults and 3 kids?
Thanks in advance

correcaminos

My advice for kids is just to enjoy the trip. Follow their schedules and stay at resorts that suit your family's needs. We have a list of 'must do' things for everyone and we try to get those in. Otherwise we just go with it and see where we land.

Upvote 0

Andy_0410

Original Poster
It's brother in law and his 3 kids and grandma so 3 generations
Looking at 3 separate rooms in pop century at the moment
We think the kids will like that resort while not being too much for the adults first time either
Also it doesn't break the bank

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

We think the kids will like that resort while not being too much for the adults first time either

It should be a blast. I was at WDW in 2012 for a 3 generation family trip (6 adults and 3 kids). I have some great memories (and much different than with just adults) of that visit. My advice is to have a general plan of which parks on which days, but don't have too many expectations of what you will do at each park ... the kids will guide a lot of that by what they see and want to do.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Plan out your time so you will have things to do as a group and then time where you can split up and have alone time. Vacationing with others can be enjoyable as long as you get to enjoy the things you want to do and dont allow another person or couple to dictate or monopolize the entire trip. With Grandma, depending on health and ability, make sure she isnt pushed too hard or longer than what she can do. Before going, have a family meeting to set ground rules ahead of time as well as finding out what each person is expecting, wants to accomplish, dining desires and when and where to meet up each day. Nothing says you must start out each day as a group or stay together every minute of every day. Also arrange time where there can be some kid free time built into the trip for the adults to enjoy too. Make sure its a trip where everyone has a great time, comes back happy and still loves one another.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

With Grandma, depending on health and ability, make sure she isnt pushed too hard or longer than what she can do.

This made me laugh ... my 72 year old yoga practicing mother (who is in better shape than anyone else in my extended family no matter the age) would be highly offended if I ever even hinted that a WDW activity might be pushing grandma too hard. One day during our 2012 family trip, she went park hopping with some of us from rope drop at AK to midnight EMH at DHS.

Upvote 0

Courtney6682

This made me laugh ... my 72 year old yoga practicing mother (who is in better shape than anyone else in my extended family no matter the age) would be highly offended if I ever even hinted that a WDW activity might be pushing grandma too hard. One day during our 2012 family trip, she went park hopping with some of us from rope drop at AK to midnight EMH at DHS.

NICE LOL!! My gram went on RnRC into her 70's lol

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yaaaay for her. :D:D:D Glad she could give you a good run on your trip and reminds me of Jack LaLanne telling everyone that age didnt have to hold anyone back as long as they moved, exercised ate properly and lived a healthy lifestyle. Ive met many young guys that cant keep up the pace with an older person at Disney. Ive turned the 60 page and my DS has to hurry up to keep pace with me at WDW. But not knowing the OP's grandma, its wise to know her abilities and limitations and plan accordingly.

Upvote 0

rob0519

I'm in awe of people who can start to plan for 2019. Our life is such that I can't plan anything even 6 months out. All our Disney trips, with the exception of our only DCL cruise get booked less than 180 days out.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

We've done 3 generations as well. I agree with others saying to plan some time together but don't feel like you have to be together all the time either. A meal a day is a nice thing to do just to sit down and catch up on things if you do part ways to do your own things.

Upvote 0

Andy_0410

Original Poster
Thanks guys
It has been on and off the table for the last few years (and may still not happen) but just managed to get everyone agreed as brother in law wife about to have baby number 3 so he/she will be two but the two girls will be 8 and 5 so it seems a good time
Grandma is prob the most active one of all lol works in the day still ( now over 60) and still has a bar job in the evening
She will def take all the kids away so we can have adult time as well
Coming from the uk have to book about 12 months in advance to get the free dining but yes I agree I have never started something so early ( though I know I am def going in 2019... Star Wars baby!!)
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom