Family of 6 - Wilderness Cabins vs All Star Family Suite

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Is a one bedroom at BLT (renting points, not direct thru Disney) more than a Cabin? Maybe one of the DVC people can answer that. I assumed that they would be similar price, but I could be completely wrong.lol

If you have the shower schedule worked out, and I'm sure there is another mirror.. then I'd do the cabins over All Stars for sure!

Right now the cabins are $275 a night and I'm sure a 1 bedroom villa is $400 or more a night even with any discounts.

21stamps

Right now the cabins are $275 a night and I'm sure a 1 bedroom villa is $400 or more a night even with any discounts.
Oh wow ok. I thought the cabins were around $400...unless I'm crazy that's what they were priced at in November. I looked at so much that I may be mixing it up.

Goofyque'

When we go with 6, it is always the cabins. While it is true there is only one bathroom; the full kitchen, the fact that you are not connected to others, the ability to park right by the cabin, the quiet, the boat to MK, everything makes it just perfect. My new DIL asked to go back to FW again this year, very successful with the girls of all ages. My sons grew up with the cabins, and couldn't wait to take their families!

BASS

I have stayed at both the Cabins and AoA suite. IMO, there is no comparison between the two. The cabins are absolutely gorgeous. And the area is remarkably relaxing. When you return to the cabins from the hotel, it is so serene it feels like another world from the busy resorts. It's hard to replicate that feeling in some of the larger resorts like the All Stars. As others have said, do not downplay the convenience of being able to park right at the cabin. For me, that is worth a lot; with our small kids, we are always carrying so much crap that loading and unloading is stressful and quite a chore. At the cabin, it's a breeze.

That said, I think with 6 you'll be tight in both. We've done 6 at both Cabins and AoA (our family of 4 + my parents) and it's tight. It's manageable, but it's tight. Honestly, I likely won't do that again. In the future, I'd likely request adjoining rooms or 2 cabins. But, it's doable-as long as everyone is on board.

Edit: be sure to take the family to the campfire. It's well done. Your older kids might not be interested, but I found the entertainer very funny.

kparn

The cabins were refurbished completely this year with new hard goods, floors, and soft goods. They're gorgeous! (Stainless steel appliances, new cabinets, countertops...everything)

Last edited:

Rob Rob

I would pick the Cabins every single time. We stayed with the same size family as you and had a great time every time. At first we slept in the Queen bed and had the kids on the bunks and the bed in the living room. Eventually we started having all the kids sleep in the bedroom and we slept in the living room on the pullout bed and it was even better. We had way more privacy and basically had the place to ourselves. On top of that Fort Wilderness is amazingly beautiful and peaceful. Its nice and quiet, there are running and walking trails and plenty of things to do when you are not at the park like the BBQ, the petting zoo and the beach. Lastly, I would highly recommend you rent a golf cart there. Is it needed? Absolutely not. Is it fun? Yes it is! The kids love all piling in and driving around and looking at the campers and sights. Especially if you go around Christmas the decorations people put up are amazing. If you want a nice calm quiet trip with lots to do the Cabins is the choice for you.

TL;DR: Pick Ft Wilderness

slappy magoo

At the cabins, you'll get more amenities in the resort. You'll get a better location. You'll get the option of a sit down restaurant onsite (two if you include the hoop-de-doo revue). Your cabin will have a full kitchen if you want to save money cooking actual meals (or if you like cooking, even on vacation, seem crazy to many but some people do).

At the All Star suites, you'll have fewer on-site amenities, no sit down restaurant, a lesser location, only bus service everywhere, a kitchenette instead of a kitchen...but you'll get two bathrooms.

Kristamouse

I am a Mom to 6 kids and have stayed in both. We prefer the family Suites because of the bathroom situation. All of my kids have to poop at the same time...two potties are a must. I know that is TMI but it's true.
The Cabins are pretty but we won't stay there again.

Kristamouse

We have contemplated that, but have decided that we really love being in the Disney bubble.
Whe we had our 6th baby in 2015 we decided to stay off site. That was our 15 out of 16 stays on property. The only thing we missed was charging privileges on our Magic Bands. For $700.00 we had a full kitchen, 4 bedrooms, 3 full Bathrooms, washer and dryer, gameing area (pool/air hockey/fueball/arcade style in the garage) and private pool and hottub. The home was decorate with all Disney theming and the extra space made doing homework so much easier. I supervised homework and DH took the littles in the garage to play. We usually do homework in the laundry area of the resort to keep the kids separated. I loved tossing our clothes in the wash while the kids bathed and then chilling in the hot tub with my husband and an adult beverage while the clothes were in the dryer. Coming home with no dirty laundry after a 7 day vacation with 8 people was BLISS!
We are going back in 9 days and we are off property again:)

daisyduckie

Art of animation is very nice, much better than the all stars. and less congested too.

But they will be much more expensive too.

For me 6 people with 1 bathroom would be misery. Plus if you go with a family suite the parents would get a bedroom all to themselves. In the cabins the bedroom also has a set of bunk beds in it. And unless you are driving you need to take 2 buses to get to a park. No thanks.

daisyduckie

I would go with FW I have stayed there many time since 1972. Below are some photos I have taken on many trips.

DISNEYS FORT WILDERNESS RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-FORT-WILDERNESS-RESORT/

DISNEY'S ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-ALL-STAR-MUSIC-RESORT

DISNEY'S ART OF ANIMATION RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-ART-OF-ANIMATION-RESORT/

As an FYI those pics of the All Star are ANCIENT. The rooms look nothing like that anymore. Gah, I wouldn't want to stay there either! They have been renovated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom