Family of 6 - Wilderness Cabins vs All Star Family Suite

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Hello All... Looking for some advice for my family of 6 - Me, DH, DS17, DD15, DD3, DD6 months

Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly about the resorts and what you would do...

Thanks a bunch!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I can't compare to the cabins as I've never stayed there, but I quite liked our stay in the All Star Family Suite. It has two bathrooms which is a major plus for getting ready in the morning. It was spacious and the sofa bed was comfortable. If memory serves, there is a microwave in addition to the fridge. I'd certainly stay there again if I were traveling with a larger group. Whatever you decide, have fun!

MySmallWorldof4

My family has stayed in the Cabins the last bunch of times we have went. We are 6 also with 3 girls and a boy. We have no problem staying there because my DD15 and DD9 can share the bed in the bedroom and my DS13 and DD6, each get a bunk. Putting a 3 year old with an older girl would work in the big bed assuming your teen wouldn't mind sharing, but teens can be touchy. I would talk to the oldest kids and if the pricing is similar let them help decide. My family just so you know absolutely LOVE the Cabins. We love it's seclusion and golf carts.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I can't compare to the cabins as I've never stayed there, but I quite liked our stay in the All Star Family Suite. It has two bathrooms which is a major plus for getting ready in the morning. It was spacious and the sofa bed was comfortable. If memory serves, there is a microwave in addition to the fridge. I'd certainly stay there again if I were traveling with a larger group. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it! How did you find the bus services?

19FW72

TiggerDad

you may find that two regular rooms at All Stars are cheaper than the suites. They won't guarantee connecting rooms, but you can normally get them.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it! How did you find the bus services?

I'm probably not the best person to ask about the bus services because given a choice I will use public transportation over driving even in my daily life, which means I am most likely more "accepting" of what others may find inconvenient. And as much as I love boats in general, as a mode of transportation at Disney I'd rather use a bus.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I would go with FW I have stayed there many time since 1972. Below are some photos I have taken on many trips.

DISNEYS FORT WILDERNESS RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-FORT-WILDERNESS-RESORT/

DISNEY'S ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-ALL-STAR-MUSIC-RESORT

DISNEY'S ART OF ANIMATION RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-ART-OF-ANIMATION-RESORT/

Wow!!! Your pictures are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. We are leaning towards the Cabins (hubby is pretty much against staying at All Star- plus even their pics of the suite look rundown and old).

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I'm probably not the best person to ask about the bus services because given a choice I will use public transportation over driving even in my daily life, which means I am most likely more "accepting" of what others may find inconvenient. And as much as I love boats in general, as a mode of transportation at Disney I'd rather use a bus.

I appreciate your honesty lol :)

21stamps

I appreciate your honesty lol :)
For us the boats are our fave transport mode at Disney. Pretty ride and typically you don't have to wait long for one.

I grew up in a family of 5 going to Disney. My parents did 2 adjoining rooms once they had 3 kids. The door stayed open at all times, I think the main reason was for the 2 bathrooms. Back then there wasn't many options though. I'm talking all of the 80s thru the early 90s.

I've never stayed at FW, but we just took a bike ride there last month. The cabins looked neat from the outside and the entire place was so pretty!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
For us the boats are our fave transport mode at Disney. Pretty ride and typically you don't have to wait long for one.

I grew up in a family of 5 going to Disney. My parents did 2 adjoining rooms once they had 3 kids. The door stayed open at all times, I think the main reason was for the 2 bathrooms. Back then there wasn't many options though. I'm talking all of the 80s thru the early 90s.

I've never stayed at FW, but we just took a bike ride there last month. The cabins looked neat from the outside and the entire place was so pretty!

We went a lot in the 80s too. My parents were obsessed with Yacht Club so we stayed there. We were a family of 5 too and I remember sleeping on the daybed in those rooms. I guess that's where my snobbery of Deluxe resorts come from :D

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I would go with FW I have stayed there many time since 1972. Below are some photos I have taken on many trips.

DISNEYS FORT WILDERNESS RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-FORT-WILDERNESS-RESORT/

DISNEY'S ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-ALL-STAR-MUSIC-RESORT

DISNEY'S ART OF ANIMATION RESORT https://michaelsphotos.smugmug.com/THEME-PARKS/WALT-DISNEY-WORLD/DISNEYS-ART-OF-ANIMATION-RESORT/

So, I've looked at all your pics from Fort Wilderness and I have decided that it's sooooo beautiful there!!!! The fireworks that you took pictures of are from where? MK?? Thanks again for sharing!

21stamps

We went a lot in the 80s too. My parents were obsessed with Yacht Club so we stayed there. We were a family of 5 too and I remember sleeping on the daybed in those rooms. I guess that's where my snobbery of Deluxe resorts come from :D
lol I can see why you don't want to stay at All Stars! We never stayed at Yacht Club as a family, I definitely did on my adult trips though!
My mom liked the Poly the best and my dad liked the Contemporary..usually my mom won, but we did switch it up sometimes.lol

You have a tough decision, I think you just really need to decide if you can survive a week with one restroom. That would be the hardest part for me.

Have you thought about renting points for a 1 bedroom villa somewhere? The price point may be similar to the cabins.

If you are dead set on your dates and 100% sure that you won't change, then I would check out david's rental site! I would love to rent points but am afraid of the commitment.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
lol I can see why you don't want to stay at All Stars! We never stayed at Yacht Club as a family, I definitely did on my adult trips though!
My mom liked the Poly the best and my dad liked the Contemporary..usually my mom won, but we did switch it up sometimes.lol

You have a tough decision, I think you just really need to decide if you can survive a week with one restroom. That would be the hardest part for me.

Have you thought about renting points for a 1 bedroom villa somewhere? The price point may be similar to the cabins.

If you are dead set on your dates and 100% sure that you won't change, then I would check out david's rental site! I would love to rent points but am afraid of the commitment.

We have stayed at the Boardwalk in a 1 bedroom but it only sleeps 4 adults! Not big enough. Only the Bay Lake Tower 1 bedrooms can accommodate our family size. I would LOVE to stay at Boardwalk though. It's just not in our budget this year. My hubby and I were discussing the 1 bathroom dibacle and have decided that it wouldn't be that bad and here's why: hubby is a morning showerer, big kids shower at night and I usually shower at night or while the babies are napping mid-day... So, we wouldn't all be showering at the same time (like all of us in the am). Getting ready is another story, but I am sure we could figure it out... There has to be another mirror in the place lol

21stamps

We have stayed at the Boardwalk in a 1 bedroom but it only sleeps 4 adults! Not big enough. Only the Bay Lake Tower 1 bedrooms can accommodate our family size. I would LOVE to stay at Boardwalk though. It's just not in our budget this year. My hubby and I were discussing the 1 bathroom dibacle and have decided that it wouldn't be that bad and here's why: hubby is a morning showerer, big kids shower at night and I usually shower at night or while the babies are napping mid-day... So, we wouldn't all be showering at the same time (like all of us in the am). Getting ready is another story, but I am sure we could figure it out... There has to be another mirror in the place lol

Is a one bedroom at BLT (renting points, not direct thru Disney) more than a Cabin? Maybe one of the DVC people can answer that. I assumed that they would be similar price, but I could be completely wrong.lol

If you have the shower schedule worked out, and I'm sure there is another mirror.. then I'd do the cabins over All Stars for sure!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Yacht and Beach Club Resorts opened in 1990. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom