Fall/Winter 2015

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Sorry - I have been away from this part of WDW Magic for a few months. I **WAS** going to go to Cirque Week in Vegas in December 2015 but they have announced that there will be "No Cirque Week activities in 2014" so I have a feeling Cirque week is done for 2015 as well. I need a back-up plan.

So in honor of DL's 60th next year my back-up plan is going back to CA & DL for a week. What time of year is "better" in your opinion? Halloween/Fall time or Christmas/Winter time? What are crowd levels like during this time? Are the hard ticket events 'worth it' compared to WDWs?

Not sure if I'll be going solo or bringing my Disney sisters along...not that it matters!

Also - when is Harry Potter West Coast going to be done?

Travel Junkie

All the way around, I recommend Christmas time. DLR goes big during Christmas (bigger than WDW.) Attraction overlays include Haunted Mansion Holiday, Small World Holiday (yes Small World Characters dress up for the holidays) , and last year they started Jingle Cruise (I’m not sure they have confirmed Jingle Cruise returning.) DL has its holiday parade that’s long in the tooth but still nice. WOC Winter Dreams is a great show that debuted last year along with Feliz Navidad, a wonderful little production in DCA. Of course both parks go all out on decorations. Also, there is currently no hard ticket Christmas party at DLR unlike WDW. All included in the price of admission.

For Halloween the prevailing view is the WDW hard ticket event is better than DLR’s. The main draws of Halloween are Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (spooky music and a projected ghost that chases you around the track) and the pumpkin carving back in Big Thunder Ranch along with Haunted Mansion Holliday which is also around during Christmas. You do not need to attend the hard ticket to see these.

Crowds for both Halloween and Christmas are like any other time at Disneyland. Avoid times when the locals and AP’s come out, which means weekends and holidays. Friday nights and Sundays when all AP’s are unblocked the parks are packed. The closer you get to Christmas the busier it gets. Early December is a great time to come.

West Coast Potter is slated to open in 2016.

GiveMeTheMusic

Definitely Christmas - it's truly the best time of year at DLR, and it beats the crap out of WDW's now pathetic Christmas celebrations. Note that the Believe...In Holiday Magic fireworks show will probably not be playing during the 60th celebration, as the new fireworks show will likely be showcased through the entire celebration (this isn't a big loss, and they'll probably add a snowfall finale like they did during the 50th).

It would not surprise me in the slightest if Potter was open by Christmas 2015. It's the fastest moving construction project I've seen in a loooong time.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thanks everyone! When do the decorations for Christmas go up? When do the Christmas "festivities" begin at DL? They start right after Halloween in FL which IMO is too early.

Recommendations on the best week to go?

Californian Elitist

Thanks everyone! When do the decorations for Christmas go up? When do the Christmas "festivities" begin at DL? They start right after Halloween in FL which IMO is too early.

Recommendations on the best week to go?

The castle starts getting its decorations in October, believe it or not. Usually towards the very end of October. The park decorations go up right after Halloween, too. The festivities start Nov. 13th, a little later than usual, it seems.

I would go either any time in November or early December. The later in December, the worse the crowds. I remember going maybe a week before Christmas just to buy something from a store in the park one year, and it was so crowded, they forced people entering the park to walk backstage. It was RIDICULOUS. I've also been at the beginning of December, and it was very pleasant. Go early December or sometime in November.

westie

I always recommend going mid-week. Mon-tue-wed are great. Thurs-on crowds pick up. Weekends start on friday.

GiveMeTheMusic

Halloween starts pretty consistently in the Sept 12 -15 area each year. HMH always opens on the first day of HalloweenTime.

The Halloween parties don't kick in until closer to the end of September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom