Extra Magic Hours

Manchese

Original Poster
On my recent visit to the theme parks, it has become apparent the most FP queues are not fast at all. Also stayed for EMH one evening at the Magic Kingdon for a few quick rides but found most to be at least 50 minutes long! Me and my son came to the same conclusion ... too many resorts! Any thoughts on this.

epcotisbest

There are 30 resorts on property from which guests can take advantage of EMH. If 15,000 guests attend EMH would it make any difference if there were only 20 resorts? No, there would still be 15,000 there.
Of course, there may be less guests who would take advantage of EMH with only 20 resorts, but maybe not.

Indianajonze

The MK needs to be open later in the evening - :(

funny you say that. we've been going annually for 10 or so years and over the past 2 trips we've noticed a reduction in the extra magic hours. not the 3 hours down to 2, i'm talking about how the parks used to stay open til much later overall. hollywood studios with emh used to stay open until midnight or 1 am. magic kingdom with emh was open until 1 or 2 am. this past week we were lucky to see midnight once during the entire 8 days. everything else was 930 or 10pm.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
They actually need more resorts...
I disagree, the park is near saturation 12 months of the year, there is no longer any slow periods. Adding more resorts will only cause the parks to be even more crowded.

I love Disney, and have gone so many times, I've lost count, but now there's so many months I cross off because the parks are so full, its not worth spending the several thousand dollars. Do I really want to spend 2 hours in the FLA sun waiting for a ride, only to go to the next ride and wait in the sun? Perhaps my opinion is counter to the majority but I work hard for my money and I want to get value for that.

Chef Mickey

I disagree, the park is near saturation 12 months of the year, there is no longer any slow periods. Adding more resorts will only cause the parks to be even more crowded.

I love Disney, and have gone so many times, I've lost count, but now there's so many months I cross off because the parks are so full, its not worth spending the several thousand dollars. Do I really want to spend 2 hours in the FLA sun waiting for a ride, only to go to the next ride and wait in the sun? Perhaps my opinion is counter to the majority but I work hard for my money and I want to get value for that.
More Disney resorts doesn't necessarily mean more total guests because Disney can squeeze out non Disney hotel guests. Eventually, Disney can get to a point where they restrict access to guests outside of the Disney bubble. There is already some of that today with EMH.

As you said, Disney is already crowded. To combat the crowds, they need to increase prices. Disney has to constantly balance crowds with guest experience and maximizing revenues. I think prices should be about double where they are today.

NickMaio

funny you say that. we've been going annually for 10 or so years and over the past 2 trips we've noticed a reduction in the extra magic hours. not the 3 hours down to 2, i'm talking about how the parks used to stay open til much later overall.
hollywood studios with emh used to stay open until midnight or 1 am. magic kingdom with emh was open until 1 or 2 am. this past week we were lucky to see midnight once
during the entire 8 days. everything else was 930 or 10pm.
We also remember the good times.
This is our first summer in 12 years we have not gone to Wdw. These cuts are too cheap. We also stay in the parks 1 hour after close. 10am in Aug heat is just not acceptable to us.
We shared our comments with Dis, as we often do.

I am Timmy

They keep building more resorts, but the parks only hold so many people. How about another park? Universal just cranked out a water park onsite - Disney has the money and the creativity to go bigger. Instead of cramming Marvel in every nook and cranny of existing parks, why not a park for Marvel? Or Pixar? Ideas?

matt9112

More Disney resorts doesn't necessarily mean more total guests because Disney can squeeze out non Disney hotel guests. Eventually, Disney can get to a point where they restrict access to guests outside of the Disney bubble. There is already some of that today with EMH.

As you said, Disney is already crowded. To combat the crowds, they need to increase prices. Disney has to constantly balance crowds with guest experience and maximizing revenues. I think prices should be about double where they are today.

or build more rides.....

also need to kill the special European tickets. let them go to Paris. dump the 14 day ticket.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Not necessarily. They'd have to provide enticements that give advantages to those who stay on property and right now, other then EMH there are few.

As you said, Disney is already crowded. To combat the crowds, they need to increase prices. Disney has to constantly balance crowds with guest experience and maximizing revenues.
That doesn't make sense. Add more resorts to increase park population, but increase price to decrease park population.

I think prices should be about double where they are today.
Doubling the prices would be disastrous. I can't speak for everyone but I for one would stop going, and tbh, I know of others who would rethink their plans. Doubling the price will certainly cut down on crowds, but it will also make put Disney out of reach for many families. As a for instance, Disney has value resorts for a reason, they're catering to people who cannot (or choose not) to spend 600 dollars a night for a bed. Many people have limited funds and are very price sensitive, doubling the price will only hurt Disney.

Chef Mickey

Not necessarily. They'd have to provide enticements that give advantages to those who stay on property and right now, other then EMH there are few.

That doesn't make sense. Add more resorts to increase park population, but increase price to decrease park population.

Doubling the prices would be disastrous. I can't speak for everyone but I for one would stop going, and tbh, I know of others who would rethink their plans. Doubling the price will certainly cut down on crowds, but it will also make put Disney out of reach for many families. As a for instance, Disney has value resorts for a reason, they're catering to people who cannot (or choose not) to spend 600 dollars a night for a bed. Many people have limited funds and are very price sensitive, doubling the price will only hurt Disney.
You kind of missed my evil master plan.

Increasing Disney hotels is not an effort necessarily to increase park guest count. The idea is for them to get more people in their control and in the Disney bubble. I believe the master plan for Disney is to completely close off Disney from the outside world (Within reason) by having as many Disney hotels needed to fill the parks. Why would they want you staying at the Hilton when you could be staying at their resort? Once they dial this in, they could charge premiums for "outside" guests to visit and offer more exclusive benefits for people inside their bubble. They already do it somewhat, but they don't have enough hotels to go all out.

The fact you'd stop going with double prices is the whole idea. They can control pricing and everything else if they have enough hotels to fill the parks and meet revenue plans. I believe they can do it long term. A guest staying on property is worth much more to Disney than one staying outside and driving in for a couple days. It only makes sense that they'll expand hotels and keep doing so until it's a super majority of their visitors. They aren't there yet. Once that happens, you'll see pricing power really take hold.

More revenue per guest and full control over that guest means they can dial back crowds to increase guest satisfaction. I think too many guests has decreased overall customer satisifaction (long lines, crowded, not enough seating, difficult to get reservations, etc). Demand based pricing is something that already exists to combat overcrowding.

It's a very touchy subject because some people literally think WDW should charge 50% what they do today, but it's just not going to happen due to the huge demand. If anything, they are headed down the path of my plan. The only difference is, they probably will be greedy and cram the parks full even when they have enough Disney hotels to support "maxed out" parks. Their definition of Maxed Out might be too high for my liking (as it is today).

Bender123

Its already past the point on returning for many people...Family of five is dropping $2500 on a week before you even have a hotel, food and flights. The prices are just getting to the point that average people cant go anymore...

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Its already past the point on returning for many people...Family of five is dropping $2500 on a week before you even have a hotel, food and flights. The prices are just getting to the point that average people cant go anymore...
No question, in total I'll have saved up for 3 years for our trip. This past year as I scrimp, sacrifice and save my pennies I've been asking myself if its worth it. We used to love staying on property and to be fair the value resorts offer a great way to enjoy the experience on a budget. Still, you can easily spend 5,000 to 10,000 for a Disney vacation without going all out.

We haven't even mentioned air fare, which for me has been closer to 2,000 then it is 1,000 for a family of 4.

Bender123

No question, in total I'll have saved up for 3 years for our trip. This past year as I scrimp, sacrifice and save my pennies I've been asking myself if its worth it. We used to love staying on property and to be fair the value resorts offer a great way to enjoy the experience on a budget. Still, you can easily spend 5,000 to 10,000 for a Disney vacation without going all out.

We haven't even mentioned air fare, which for me has been closer to 2,000 then it is 1,000 for a family of 4.

We used to do an annual, then we did every other year...now it was five years between trips and I have no plan to go back until the 50th. This was the first time I have ever locked down merch spending and cut it off.

The worst part of this year was we were a group of 12, so you get the mandatory 18% tip added on at every restaurant. No problem in a normal restaurant, but when you are basically doing buffets every day and your server is responsible for filling a soda twice during a meal and taking away a few plates, the idea of dropping $60 on a tip seems insane. We aren't talking table service, which I am completely fine with, we are talking a group of 12 dropping a $140 tip at Boma, when our server just dropped a pitcher of diet coke and one of regular cke on our table and never returned.

Everything was just out of hand with price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom