External flash - tell me I gotta have it in the bag

KeithVH

Original Poster
How many of you take a flash on your visit? If so, do you really end up using it that much? Have a long trip coming up (EBPC cruise and the World) and it is just me and the wife so I don't have to worry about taking family shots, etc. Trying to talk myself out of taking yet another piece of gear that I may use twice considering the way my shot list looks like right now. It's bad enough I have to remind myself to NOT pack the macro - gotta draw the line somewhere?

Pinoke76

I have never felt the need for a large external flash in WDW, but my camera will cope well in most light conditions.
If I was on a cruise and wanted great family portraits I would probably find somewhere to pack it. They aren't that heavy and don't take up that much room ;)

thomas998

How many of you take a flash on your visit? If so, do you really end up using it that much? Have a long trip coming up (EBPC cruise and the World) and it is just me and the wife so I don't have to worry about taking family shots, etc. Trying to talk myself out of taking yet another piece of gear that I may use twice considering the way my shot list looks like right now. It's bad enough I have to remind myself to NOT pack the macro - gotta draw the line somewhere?

I used to use one all the time on trips... but that was when I was trying to capture young kids meeting characters when you were certain that they wouldn't stand still and you needed to take multiple shots as fast as possible in the hope of getting the right one.

I've still taken one on occasion but carry it with me everyday, only when I know I'm going to be inside and need it. Normally I don't really think I need it much anymore.... Mostly because my camera way back when had a usable ISO of 400... The one I have now is really decent up to about 3200... In the end you are going to be the best judge of whether you need it or not. Part of it will depend on the speed of your lens along with the usable ISO of your camera.

On a cruise about the only thing I can think of it being handy for would be if you wanted some photos of your wife outside at night when there isn't going to be much light to work with... but day shots its pointless... probably pointless inside as well. Course my little voice always says it is better to take and not need than to need and not have.

Brian DeGroat

If you want well lit foreground and subject, with a well exposed background, take the flash! Use it! You wont be disappointed if you know how to use it. I am still just learning how to use my flash and im so impressed with the outcome so far.

Think about it, you ar eon your cruise and take a pic of a family member outside. Its a bright sunny day and the sun is behind you. You expose for the backgound which is exquisite, but your subject is dark. So you expose for your subject and not the background is blown out! Sure you can merge the two pics in post, if they are straight, but why not just carry a small flash and fix it on the spot!!

Just my 2 cents! Good luck and have fun!

Kungaloosh!

B-

KeithVH

Original Poster
Valid points, I guess. I have to admit I never use on-board flash, just not pleasing results. If I don't take the macro and the heavy glass, adding the strobe won't be that much more weight. You just know, if I don't take it, I'm gonna need it the first day out.

PhotoDave219

Uh.

I generally don't use flash much except in studio settings, but thats just my style. I prefer working with the existing light.

That being said, its extremely useful to fill in the shadows of someone's face during midday sun, especially if they're wearing a hat.

Overall, it cant hurt to toss it in the bag.

NowInc

Camera flash
Uh.

I generally don't use flash much except in studio settings, but thats just my style. I prefer working with the existing light.

That being said, its extremely useful to fill in the shadows of someone's face during midday sun, especially if they're wearing a hat.

Overall, it cant hurt to toss it in the bag.

I will add to this and point out that in darker settings, without something to bounce the flash off of, it will be usually incredibly unflattering to your subject (this puts your on camera flash on the "no use" list).

KeithVH

Original Poster
Well, I hate onboard flash. I'd have to be really desperate to use it. Lack of control basically. I also tend to shoot wider and the lens may be in the way.

Adjusting the output is easy and I'll throw the Sto-Fen in the bag too, I guess. But I draw the line at the packing my Custom Brackets unit.

But now, I'm like, "well, if I have extra light, why not take the macro . . ." <sigh>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom