1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Express Transportation starting Dec 7th

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by imkrazy182, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Clamman73

Clamman73 Well-Known Member

This was the MK to Epcot Express bus today.
    IMG_1136.JPG

2. DisneyJeff

DisneyJeff Well-Known Member

The more that I think about this, I believe that this could be a good idea. However, it should be free. The basic premise of this is to allow guests to move from one secure security zone to another without having to pass through a security checkpoint. It would obviously save time for those guests, but also make the security screening less crowded for the guests going through security at the parks.

The actual implementation of this wasn't done very well. It should not be in a remote, back-stage area. There should be a dedicated spot at the front of each park, that is within the secure zone where these buses can load and unload. This should be the only option for busing between parks. This would actually replace the "regular" park to park buses. Therefore, there would be no effect on "existing" service because they would be using the same number of buses (and drivers) as normal.

Obviously, to actually implement this, major work would need to be done in order to place a bus stop within the secure zone at the front of each park. Whether this kind of investment would be worth it or not, is debatable.

Just my $0.02. :)

MissM, jt04, Shinji4u and 1 other person like this.
  3. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

This seems to be a test more than anything at this point. And there are certainly ways to make this free for most guests depending on how it is configured. But it wouldn't be cheap to implement. Time will tell. Seems Hogwarts Express has stirred up some creative possibilities elsewhere.

LongLiveTheKing likes this.
  4. LongLiveTheKing

LongLiveTheKing Well-Known Member

Interesting take on it. I hadn't even considered that it's probably most people's routine to just go to one park per day both because of hopper prices and more importantly travel time, so for those people this service really doesn't have value. This service seems to have even more problems than we realized initially, even with its low promotion amount. It is definitely weird that there's no hotel to park express bus, especially in the morning when it would be most valuable.

vershine likes this.
  5. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

This program has nothing to do with going from resorts directly into the parks. That would be logistically impossible.

vershine likes this.
  6. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine New Member

This is idiotic and frankly terrifying. Not only are they breaching security (which they are, because although they are taking ticketed guests from park to park, they are also traveling outside the parks, and anyone who WANTED to get in to do harm has a great way to get in), but they are providing what has now been identified as the perfect terrorist weapon: a truck or bus in a crowded place with high emotional, cultural, or symbolic value. What were they thinking?

7. creathir

creathir Well-Known Member

How do you suggest someone getting on the bus between parks? It doesn't stop anywhere and let people on/off...

Hop on the roof?
    I'm going to guess this has been thought of... what would stop someone from hopping on the roof of a food delivery truck?

drizgirl likes this.
  8. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

I did see a small table top display on the check-in desk at the Grand a couple nights ago. Not sure if this is the case at other resorts. I also seem to recall a blurb on the times guide, for Epcot, I believe when this first rolled out.

9. Bolt

Bolt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you know how this works. The bus doesn't pick you up from your house, it picks you up after you've been in a park (and after going through Security).

10. drizgirl

drizgirl Well-Known Member

Serioulsy..... that's the funniest post I've seen in a long time! :joyfull:

11. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine New Member

Not legally, certainly. The buses have to stop at traffic lights and stop signs. In past attacks, the trucks have been hijacked and the driver killed. It's obviously a nightmare scenario, but you'd think with recent horrific events in the news, Disney would be tightening security, not loosening it. And don't food delivery trucks remain backstage? You don't exactly see them parading through the park. I thought that was the whole point of the backstage area--to maintain the magic. I just think if they want to implement an express system, they can do with without letting buses into the park by adding express lines for people with a special pass. Heck, add a dedicated bus if it makes them feel special. They can even have a second dropoff point at the backstage area. All of this can be done without bringing buses into the actual park. Ah well.

12. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

The busses are a quick way to test demand. If demand is sufficient than I would imagine they might make more elaborate modes available. I think Uni might pioneer some concepts due to what will be very dispersed facilities.

As for the bus system as it is currently being run at wdw representing any sort of threat, that is just ridiculous.

Finally, if it isn't something you care about then don't utilize it. It isn't mandatory.

21stamps likes this.
  13. drizgirl

drizgirl Well-Known Member

And you don't think security at the park would know about the hijacked bus before it got there?

I agree there's likely some offstage vulnerability in the security system of the parks, but the express buses are not the concern.

LongLiveTheKing, Bandini and jt04 like this.
  14. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

You have never taken a vehicle backstage have you....

15. GeneralZod

GeneralZod Well-Known Member

I couldn't decide between a snowflake or Chicken Little pic for my reply, so I just decided neither.

Calm down...sheesh.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    awilliams4, StevieRay and JoeCamel like this.
  16. JAtheFourth

JAtheFourth Member

Having used it when I was there over marathon weekend, it was very handy, especially getting to MK without having to get on the boat or monorail to go over. I was able to get to rope drop at MK, grab a ADR for Be Our Guest B'fast, do a few rides, hop over to Epcot where I had a Frozen fastpass, go to HS, and then back to MK to pick up my car. I figure that the $24 cost was more than made up for by the few hours that I would have had to wait for regular transportation to get it done. I do hope that it continues, because it made Disney World feel more cohesive, and probably gave me 2-3 hours more in the parks, instead of sitting on line for a bus, or driving the park to reposition my car.

Thunder Fan, jt04, ParentsOf4 and 2 others like this.
  17. trojanjustin

trojanjustin Active Member

Yes, delivery vehicles remain "backstage" at the park but they have to get to the park somehow - by using the same public roads as everyone else. There are literally hundreds of vans, private vehicles, trucks and busses that traverse the resort and enter secure areas every day. Safety is a concern but a bus that is constantly monitored taking guests from one secured area to another secured area is simply not an issue.

18. Disorbust

Disorbust Active Member

But if this is a test how accurate is it if they are trying to figure out demand for the service if they are charging for it? We never used it because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of figuring out would we use it one or our whole stay, was the price worth it and how/where do I pay. I think Disney should offer it for free to ease up the congestion at the parks main gate security.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  19. Rteetz

Rteetz Well-Known Member

I used it two weeks ago. We bought the 7 days and used it about 4-5 days out of the week. For the current price it's worth it in my opinion. If the price goes up, my opinion could very well change.

Thunder Fan likes this.
  20. Thunder Fan

Thunder Fan Member

Is there any way to reserve this ahead of time or can you only do this at the park/resort?