Express Transportation starting Dec 7th

flynnibus

Premium Member
For the record, Disney has been offering this for YEARS for people who want to pay hundreds of dollars an hour for a VIP guide, where they will shuttle you from park to park, unlimited Fastpass access and premium viewing for shows/parades. Why is nobody complaining about this if people are so indiginant about Disney tapping into consumer's desires?

Because we can comprehend the difference when someone is buying personal touring... which is offered in limited quantities as a premium service at a level that isnt trying to replace or compete with the normal consumer.... and paid upsells targeted at the normal customer

gdrj

I really dislike this idea. Every time one of these little money making schemes comes out it makes me less and less excited for my next trip. Having a two-tier transportation system just doesn't feel right. If it works, they will reallocate more buses and drivers to the paid system from the complementary system (or rather, the system that we are already paying for in our tickets and room rates). If it doesn't work, then they'll probably do the same to make the paid system look more attractive. Or at least, that's what the perception will be when you're waiting in long lines for the complementary buses - it will make people feel like they were losing out because Disney thought they were being too cheap, even after paying thousands of dollars for their vacations.

Also, guests shouldn't routinely go backstage (unless on a backstage tour). Whatever happened to Disney's focus on 'show'?

I pay enough for a Disney vacation. Transatlantic flights, hotels, tickets, food, drinks, events, merchandise, tips. I don't like the idea of paying all that cash and then constantly feeling like I'm losing out and having a second-tier experience unless I pay twice for everything. All of Disney's latest "initiatives" just make the experience a little less magical for me. Others disagree, of course, but that's how I feel.

I mentioned this to my family and their first reaction wasn't "oh we'll pay for that" but rather "maybe we should just rent a car next time then". And if we're renting a car, then you can bet we're going to check out WWOHP.

Not that Walt was against making money, but he started by wanting build a place that Parents could enjoy with their children. Your "second tier" comment I think is right on target. Speaking of Transatlantic the Titanic had first class passengers and steerage passengers. OK maybe a bit of an extreme example but when you start to devalue the regular guests I think it is detrimental to the business.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can tell you from personal experience, not what I can find on my keyboard, that in the past 9 nights that I have been at WDW there has been high crowds and semi reasonable crowds. There has not been "low crowds". I did follow the TP crowd calendars for the most part though.. so unless everyone else did the same, then I don't know where this "slow time" is. We even waited 35 minutes for mini golf today. WS was PACKED Thursday night, but I think Future World was not very busy. So does that mean Epcot was dead?

It wouldn't have anything to do with Neil Patrick Harris doing two Candlelight Processionals that night... nah... My wife was there on Thursday night for one of them.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The griping about this is crazy. Disney obviously did a study and found out X number of guests were utilizing Uber on property. They want a piece of that pie. Resort to park transportation isn't workable for any cheaper or quicker than Uber can provide such a service. What can they offer, around the same price point, that would make guests choose Disney's service instead? Expedited park to park transportation. It's a simple solution that brings some of those dollars back to Disney's pocket.

People also have to understand times have changed. Uber and Lyft have revolutionized the transportation industry. No longer must you stand in the rain or wait in a line to hail a cab, simply order a vehicle and a car is there within minutes. Disney has to keep up with the times, too.

For the record, Disney has been offering this for YEARS for people who want to pay hundreds of dollars an hour for a VIP guide, where they will shuttle you from park to park, unlimited Fastpass access and premium viewing for shows/parades. Why is nobody complaining about this if people are so indiginant about Disney tapping into consumer's desires?

How many people are paying for VIP tours each day?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And, a resort fee is coming, have no doubt. I wouldn't expect to see it until Disney "feels the need" (*Cough*ProppingUpQuarterlyRevenueNumbers*Cough*) to implement it. Monetizing MDE is, I think, still a ways away, but it really depends on how badly TDO needs the revenue to keep their bonus gravy train a-rollin'.

21stamps

It wouldn't have anything to do with Neil Patrick Harris doing two Candlelight Processionals that night... nah... My wife was there on Thursday night for one of them.
It had everything to do with it. We had a 5pm dining package and barely any choices of where to eat to do the CP pack. Which is why you can't just google a crowd prediction and say "The park will be slow on this date".

Luxe

:hilarious:

VIP Tour vs bus service upcharge.

TrojanUSC

How many people are paying for VIP tours each day?

Well considering you can have up to ten people on a tour, well into the hundreds. However, it doesn't change the fact that it is a premium experience offered to anyone willing to pay. In 2016 where you can get chauffeurs on demand for a few dollars via Uber, Disney HAS to do something to compete with that.

Bandini

Well considering you can have up to ten people on a tour, well into the hundreds. However, it doesn't change the fact that it is a premium experience offered to anyone willing to pay. In 2016 where you can get chauffeurs on demand for a few dollars via Uber, Disney HAS to do something to compete with that.
How much is a park to park Uber? I use the service in various cities and found them to be 40-60% less than cabs and the cars are a lot cleaner and better maintained.

So I would assume the average family will park hop once per day. If it's 4 people the express bus would cost $ 60 for 1 day and $96 for length of stay. Uber might still be a better deal at $20 a ride.

I don't think circumventing the security is the big time saver, especially after the parks open. The big time waster is waiting on Disney's transportation. Offering an express service that comes every 30 minutes is not going to substantially improve the situation.

FigmentForver96

Weird seeing people say Disney needs to charge for an extra experience when Disney use to BE the experience. If Disney had a reliable system of transportation that was clean and efficient they wouldn't have to worry about people picking an uber or taxi because they could use the free system that was free and clean. I guess those are just standards that are impossible to match nowadays.

21stamps

Weird seeing people say Disney needs to charge for an extra experience when Disney use to BE the experience. If Disney had a reliable system of transportation that was clean and efficient they wouldn't have to worry about people picking an uber or taxi because they could use the free system that was free and clean. I guess those are just standards that are impossible to match nowadays.
Food for thought-

Are "we" the ones changing? Which is why Disney (and almost every other company) offers so many upcharges, options, and 'premium' experiences now?

When I was a kid we waited in line for a ride or attraction. Now people pay $80+ for fast lane passes.
We can pre order Chipotle, Starbucks, etc etc, so we can avoid waiting in line.
We can order something online - dress, toy, whatever, and pick it up at the store on the same day..now being able to get in and get out and go about our daily activities, making a more efficient use of time.

So in all of this newish trend of searching for convenience, then doesn't it make sense that companies would provide options for that lifestyle?

I realize a lot of people view this as doom and gloom, I just look at it as one more offering in a changing world. Good for those who want it, not impacting those who don't.

NearTheEars

With all the outrage over this, I wonder if folks want Uber and Taxis banned from property as well, since clearly they are unnecessary.

That's all I see this as, WDW getting a piece of that business.

But we always have our car, so we wouldn't be interested.

Goofyernmost

Food for thought-

Are "we" the ones changing? Which is why Disney (and almost every other company) offers so many upcharges, options, and 'premium' experiences now?

When I was a kid we waited in line for a ride or attraction. Now people pay $80+ for fast lane passes.
We can pre order Chipotle, Starbucks, etc etc, so we can avoid waiting in line.
We can order something online - dress, toy, whatever, and pick it up at the store on the same day..now being able to get in and get out and go about our daily activities, making a more efficient use of time.

So in all of this newish trend of searching for convenience, then doesn't it make sense that companies would provide options for that lifestyle?

I realize a lot of people view this as doom and gloom, I just look at it as one more offering in a changing world. Good for those who want it, not impacting those who don't.
Oh, heck no... It's never our fault. It is the Disney greed. After all we all know that if there was no demand then they would send in the national guard to force us into the up-charges. Damn Disney. Our laziness and lack of patience has no influence at all.

Everything talked about so far is an extra, not something that was provided before and now is extra except the ones that no one is talking about like the Halloween parties and the Christmas parties. Those used to be just part of the package, when and if they had them. That changed a long time ago. The busing thing has an alternative. Take the regular bus or drive a car, stop being so completely needy, do somethings for yourselves. Or pay for the extra service... your choice.

Goofyernmost

Next thing you know, they'll be an upcharge just to park at Disney!!
Since I refuse to pay a Kings ransom to stay in a average hotel room on Disney, I always stay off-site and have a car. I can get to my car and practically to the next place well before the "special" buses or Uber will even get there. And considering what it cost to park there... it is getting to be more and more of a deal. Even at $20.00 a day, the fact that I have transportation the instant I want it, is way more valuable then paying them room rates or special up-charge rates for it. I feel better about my choices every single time they come up with this crap. And the savings from not being a Disney captive more then pay for the parking and the car if I need to rent one. (don't anymore)

NearTheEars

Since I refuse to pay a Kings ransom to stay in a average hotel room on Disney, I always stay off-site and have a car. I can get to my car and practically to the next place well before the "special" buses or Uber will even get there. And considering what it cost to park there... it is getting to be more and more of a deal. Even at $20.00 a day, the fact that I have transportation the instant I want it, is way more valuable then paying them room rates or special up-charge rates for it. I feel better about my choices every single time they come up with this crap. And the savings from not being a Disney captive more then pay for the parking and the car if I need to rent one. (don't anymore)

Living nearby, we rarely stay in the area, except for a couple staycation weekends a year. And those have all shifted off property. At first, we did a few All-Star stays, but quickly found that we missed just driving around in our own car, and that we could stay in a much nicer Disney Springs-area hotel for the same price. And I advise people that visit to do the same. Having your own car is definitely worth it, even with the $20 parking fee if you don't have an AP.

And if you're doing it right (getting to the park at rope drop) your car will be within walking distance of the gate and you can even bypass the trams. Makes hopping very easy. Obviously if you're at the MK, you still have a ferry or monorail trip first.

Goofyernmost

Living nearby, we rarely stay in the area, except for a couple staycation weekends a year. And those have all shifted off property. At first, we did a few All-Star stays, but quickly found that we missed just driving around in our own car, and that we could stay in a much nicer Disney Springs-area hotel for the same price. And I advise people that visit to do the same. Having your own car is definitely worth it, even with the $20 parking fee if you don't have an AP.

And if you're doing it right (getting to the park at rope drop) your car will be within walking distance of the gate and you can even bypass the trams. Makes hopping very easy. Obviously if you're at the MK, you still have a ferry or monorail trip first.
Which I find to be as important as any of the attractions. The ferry ride and/or the monorail are an attraction in and of themselves with a buildup to the MK. Not to mention what a pleasant ride the ferry is on a clear bright day or night leaving the park. A tremendous build up and wind down at the end of the day. You don't get to smell the roses from a bus.

AgeEight-E

It's the use of backstage areas that bothers me most about this. Seems like every scheme like this that they come up with involves new cracks in show quality and the illusion of the parks.

The continued splintering of paying park-goers into haves and have-nots based on spending even more money doesn't sit right with me, either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom