Express Monorail Beam Closed Today for TCS(Automation) testing with Monorail Coral.

MonorailLover

Original Poster
You sure it was a poster?
Could it have been the back cover of a manual of some kind?

I can't tell what those pieces of paper on the windows say. The first one looks like an image of a giraffe and the other one looks to be the same but at the resolution posted it kinda looks like parchment paper.

It definitely is a poster. I'm going back to MK and will wait to take a close up picture. Worst case I'll recite the type.

The giraffes that @Jahona talked about are crossed monorails. That is something I can guarantee...

MonorailLover

Original Poster
image.jpg
Here's the photo of the century.... No, just kidding. It is two crossed Mark I's with Walt, stating: train control system project team.

So yes, it is Monorail Coral Testing the Automation system.

You may, or may not be able to tell that this picture was taken at the Polynesian. Even though it was on the express beam, it was testing its load/unload service at the stop.

Last edited:

IMFearless

Perhaps they're running monorail coral in front of peach on the loop, I know the aim is to dispatch trains closer together at peak times, does anyone know whether it is only peach that has received the upgrade or have a number of the trains now been overhauled to have the added equipment.

From previous threads, I think I've seen it posted that the trains are relatively straightforward to upgrade and the track beams are the more laborious part of the works.

MonorailLover

Original Poster
I mean I could be going crazy.

View attachment 103805
Haha, I see the resemblance... I tried to take it while going the other way..... Didn't work.
Perhaps they're running monorail coral in front of peach on the loop, I know the aim is to dispatch trains closer together at peak times, does anyone know whether it is only peach that has received the upgrade or have a number of the trains now been overhauled to have the added equipment.

From previous threads, I think I've seen it posted that the trains are relatively straightforward to upgrade and the track beams are the more laborious part of the works.
I was wrong with my first post, monorail coral is by itself on the express beam. The poster has been described by me with the latest post of mine.

IMFearless

Haha, I see the resemblance... I tried to take it while going the other way..... Didn't work.

I was wrong with my first post, monorail coral is by itself on the express beam. The poster has been described by me with the latest post of mine.

Sorry I saw the picture but somehow missed your description, thanks for the update, it's interesting.

The monorail is such a great part of the experience. It will be great if the upgrade improves efficiency even further as the crowds coming out of MK can be very busy these days, particularly after rain, fireworks, parades etc.

Jahona

Yeah the other image you posted is clearer on what the actual image is. I just figured I would post my insanity online.

Biff215

The monorail automation does seem to be going on for a long time.

Does anyone know the expected completion date or if they are currently behind schedule?

I'm sure I heard they were behind with it but haven't heard much recently.

A CM told me last year that the completion date was 2016. I thought he was crazy and didn't believe him, but here we are more than halfway through 2015. He was also the first person I heard claim that the bungalows would have the pools on the deck, so maybe he actually had real information.

MonorailLover

Original Poster
A CM told me last year that the completion date was 2016. I thought he was crazy and didn't believe him, but here we are more than halfway through 2015. He was also the first person I heard claim that the bungalows would have the pools on the deck, so maybe he actually had real information.
Hahaha, maybe.... From the info I got from two very informative Monorail CM's today was that Teal and Coral are the only two that have been converted, and apparently teal is working poorly, as it was the prototype of the two. I guess, now that coral was the second to be done, it has been having better luck, and it's the one they're using to test basically the whole system.

Honestly, I don't seeing it being complete next year, but I guess 17 months from now is still considered 2016.....

Last edited:

Unplugged

Once the functionality of the system is set, the upgrades to the remaining trains should be relatively easy and not take this level of time. The whole system will/should use the same sensors and automation on each train, so it becomes a matter of cloning the fully functional (approved) train. Based on what I saw a few months back (only one instance) and what we see now, I'd say there is no justification not to have the system operational by end of 2016.

MonorailLover

Original Poster
Coral and Teal are the two trains actively being tested. Gold will be the next online as soon as the installation is completed.
For some reason, gold has always been my favourite. I would love to see it back in use. Has anyone really been able to determine the amount of time it takes for a monorail to have tcs installed?

I have high hopes for this system... But I know it won't really actively improve the consumers experience, except for a little bit more efficiency, and, you know... The safety part...

MonorailLover

Original Poster
Once the functionality of the system is set, the upgrades to the remaining trains should be relatively easy and not take this level of time. The whole system will/should use the same sensors and automation on each train, so it becomes a matter of cloning the fully functional (approved) train. Based on what I saw a few months back (only one instance) and what we see now, I'd say there is no justification not to have the system operational by end of 2016.

Agreed. As I said previously, the 4 CM's I talked to all said that teal had a hard time upgrading, since it was the first one. Now, each should be quick and relatively painless.

MaryJaneP

... It will be great if the upgrade improves efficiency even further....

We join the crowd that doubts the automation is primarily being pursued to increase efficiency and/or to enhance safety. We suspect the primary motivation is to reduce personnel expense. If they really wanted to improve efficiency, simply adding newer, more, or higher capacity trains would provide a higher throughput. Here's hoping for an actual improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom