Expedition Everest effects status watch

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not that I'm coming to defend SGE, but we had to visit it last month. The right hand theatre had both canons working. Just no working lights on them. Nor any containment lasers.

We also had no steam on Everest but did get the bird on a stick V2.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Not that I'm coming to defend SGE, but we had to visit it last month. The right hand theatre had both canons working. Just no working lights on them. Nor any containment lasers.

We also had no steam on Everest but did get the bird on a stick V2.

Any Yeti motion? What's V2 Bird on Stick?

Tom Morrow

I know I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the steam on Everest is rarely actually broken, but is often shut off intentionally because it can make the station even hotter on very hot and humid days. If you see it on a cold day it looks awesome because a massive cloud emerges from the train.

Source: Everest CMs

mergatroid

Yeti has not moved for years.

V2 bird on a stick is the new version of the V1 bird on a stick.

I noticed that too this year, it's more to the left than it used to be. I'm one of the few who's ridden with the Yeti in both modes and who doesn't really care which mode it is. I ride more for the experience of the views and the thrills of the drops, swoops and turns etc. I know I'm in the minority but if they repaired it tomorrow my main pleasure would be that I wouldn't have to hear how terrible it is not working any longer from people. For that reason alone though, let's hope they repair it one day.

dreynolds1982

Was just at AK over the weekend. Everything is status quo on EE. All effects (except Yeti) working great, including train steam and bird on a stick. Yeti is still good ole disco yeti. However, I heard from an extremely reliable source (I know people say that, but seriously this is about as reliable as it gets) that a permanent fix for the Yeti is in the works. Didn't mention a time frame, and isn't really breaking news as many have said that WDI has been trying to work something out, but I was told that it is "happening" and could be sooner rather than later.

Tom Morrow

I know that the Yeti has not moved for years. But every know and then, someone reports motion. Just checking
If it ever actually does move again, it will blow up on the forums, Twitter, etc. It won't just be noticed and reported by one person. Every person who has ever reported it moving since 2008 (Yeti stopped moving in mid-2007) has been fooled by the strobe light and motion of the train.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Was just at AK over the weekend. Everything is status quo on EE. All effects (except Yeti) working great, including train steam and bird on a stick. Yeti is still good ole disco yeti. However, I heard from an extremely reliable source (I know people say that, but seriously this is about as reliable as it gets) that a permanent fix for the Yeti is in the works. Didn't mention a time frame, and isn't really breaking news as many have said that WDI has been trying to work something out, but I was told that it is "happening" and could be sooner rather than later.
Yeah "Good Ole Disco Yeti". But I'm hoping that Avatar-land will draw enough people away from E:E so the yeti can be fixed. When is Avatar land opening?

FettFan

Yeah "Good Ole Disco Yeti". But I'm hoping that Avatar-land will draw enough people away from E:E so the yeti can be fixed. When is Avatar land opening?

Sometime in 2017. They're hoping for early 2017, so that it can ride the wave of popularity from Avatar 2: Bioluminescent Boogaloo's December 2016 release.

Because let's face it, it's going to need all the help it can get. It's basically going to be a glow-in-the-dark version of Living With the Land and "Soarin' With Alien Dinosaurs".

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Sometime in 2017. They're hoping for early 2017, so that it can ride the wave of popularity from Avatar 2: Bioluminescent Boogaloo's December 2016 release.

Because let's face it, it's going to need all the help it can get. It's basically going to be a glow-in-the-dark version of Living With the Land and "Soarin' With Alien Dinosaurs".
I was hoping that it would open sooner 2016 so that he yeti can be fixed before E:E has its 10th B-Day

sm57co

I once saw a Discovery Channel Show on EE and showed making the Yeti, etc. It's such an amazing, detailed piece of work even paying attention to dirt under his (or her) claws. I've always wondered why they don't just put some cool theatrical lighting (non strobe) on it so you can see it clearly as you pass by. I actually miss it sometimes and think it would be just as effective if not more to have a real good look at it vs. those strobes. Still one of the best coasters I've been on.

Bairstow

I once saw a Discovery Channel Show on EE and showed making the Yeti, etc. It's such an amazing, detailed piece of work even paying attention to dirt under his (or her) claws. I've always wondered why they don't just put some cool theatrical lighting (non strobe) on it so you can see it clearly as you pass by. I actually miss it sometimes and think it would be just as effective if not more to have a real good look at it vs. those strobes. Still one of the best coasters I've been on.

Non-strobing light would highlight its immotility and be bad show.

Well, worse show, I guess.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
The main reason for the strobes is to hide the fact he's not moving. When he would move, animation was clearly seen because his paw would come right above your head! I honestly believe that they should just put a spotlight on his face and paws so they stand out so he's scarier

sm57co

Non-strobing light would highlight its immotility and be bad show.

Well, worse show, I guess.
Yea, Bairstow, I agree! I've just always admired the photos I've seen of that thing. It's an incredible piece and I think if it originally never lunged at us and was simply a very visible but static showpiece since in its inception, turning a corner in a high speed train to reveal this giant yeti standing there roaring at you would still work in my mind. Subjective opinion for sure! - like, I think the castle, in and of itself, is an impressive show that is enhanced with lights and music that people marvel at and photograph yet is a static structure. I just think the strobes detract from the wow factor and make it hard to see.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Here's what I think should happen: We have all the charchters who meet in AK dress in either yeti suits or disco suits and if Rhode arrives, follow him around:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom