Expedition Everest effects status watch

speck76

Thanks for the info.

At load, was the full steam effect going? There seems to be one mode where there is just a small amount of steam (almost misable), and there is the full effect where there is a LOT of steam.

at what point does it tend to not matter?

Is the ride ruined by a lack of steam, or less steam, or are we just being a bit too picky?

CTXRover

at what point does it tend to not matter?

Is the ride ruined by a lack of steam, or less steam, or are we just being a bit too picky?

I certainly believe the experience of Everest is enhanced when the steam is operational, which is why it was included in the ride's effects to begin with. If missing, I don't believe it negatively affects the ride experience, but when present it adds another level of authenticity to the experience and is a perfect example of attention to detail that Disney is famous for. The amount of steam doesn't matter too much to me personally, as long as there is enough that a good majority of guests would note its presence. There has been times when the steam effect is barely noticeable as Steve stated, which in those cases does little to enhance the experience, so it was a legitimate question imo.

sillykid

To me wht matters is that Rhode and others spent time and money creating a ride as an experience. If they felt that a waterfall on the backside was needed, then there was purpose. They do not pay thses people to create blue sky ideas, make them, and then cut corners after they were built. I myself agree with others, how do you let something go, when it's this new. I have 2 bathrooms in my house, just cause I don't use one and no one see's it, does that mean if it doesn't work that it should not be a priority. This is the icon of the park. Get it right for Walt...Get it right for the stock holders, there is a budget, but if I want broken, non themed rides I can go to Six Flags.
OFF MY BOX....:fork:

AlishaMisha

Is there a C-Mode or was it just broken? Here's why I ask.

I was there Feb-March (I think this happend in February). It was my boyfriend's first time on it and I wanted the experiance to be perfect...
The train stops just before we enter the mountain to see the actual yeti and we waited for about 10 mins. then the train went into the mountain at about 15 mph and the yeti was fully lit up, not moving but had audio.

Oh yeah and that tacky bird wasn't working.

:king: ~Leash

Rob562

I was there Feb-March (I think this happend in February). It was my boyfriend's first time on it and I wanted the experiance to be perfect...
The train stops just before we enter the mountain to see the actual yeti and we waited for about 10 mins. then the train went into the mountain at about 15 mph and the yeti was fully lit up, not moving but had audio.

If you sat on the brake between the helix and the Yeti for that long, you were stopped in a cascade stop. The brake zone in front of your train wasn't clear for some reason (either because of a mechanical problem, or a Guest situation at the unload zone that prevented them from advancing the trains). You more than likely saw the Yeti cave with some type of worklights turned on. (Which is a common occurrance during an extended E-stop situation on Disney attractions)

-Rob

speck76

To me wht matters is that Rhode and others spent time and money creating a ride as an experience. If they felt that a waterfall on the backside was needed, then there was purpose. They do not pay thses people to create blue sky ideas, make them, and then cut corners after they were built. I myself agree with others, how do you let something go, when it's this new. I have 2 bathrooms in my house, just cause I don't use one and no one see's it, does that mean if it doesn't work that it should not be a priority. This is the icon of the park. Get it right for Walt...Get it right for the stock holders, there is a budget, but if I want broken, non themed rides I can go to Six Flags.
OFF MY BOX....:fork:

That being said, DAK is open 365 days each year (unless we get hurricanes) and EE is really no more than a very complex rail system with hundreds (or thousands) of different individual pieces of equipment, most made by different manufactuers, and most with moving parts. Anything with moving parts (no matter how well maintained) is subject to break, or at least wear out upon occasion.

DAK is a park that has an annual attendence of about 8.5million people, which (I know attendence peaks and valleys throughout the year) averages about 23,250 people per day.....EVERYDAY.

Now, EE is a very complex rail system that can handle 1,600 - 1,800 guests per hour, and if the park is open 10 hours, that would be 16,000-18,000 people that ride EE every day of the year.

Now, I don't work for Disney, I don't have access to any of their guest research, but I can assume with a great deal of confidence that the average guests has the following priorities:

1. The ride is safe
2. The ride is open
3. The ride is "fun"

So, being that it is probably impossible (or financially irresponsible) to ensure every single aspect of the attraction is fully operational on a 365-day per year basis, I tend to believe that more people would gladly have a lack of steam (which 90% of the people, if not more, do not even notice) than a lack of attraction (even if not 100% cosmetically operational)

sillykid

Speck...all great points. Yes ride open, safe, and fun is priority 1, yet when a waterfall insn't working and it needs to be fixed you have someone look at it and eventually fix it. If you wait...then the next thing break....such as the steam....big deal.....then the bird. All i am saying is if you are on top of it and don't neglect it, it would be closer to the vision created. The comment that this piece of equipment has 18000 people a day is probably right on, yet that is what it was built to do. Yes it's open year round everyday, but they also have the teams and should have the backing to get it back up to snuff ASAP.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi guys, remember this is the status thread. We're just trying to keep track of the effects that are operational in this thread. If you want to discuss the merits of having rides 100% working, create another thread for it. Many thanks. :)

MythBuster

They don't like to call it a "C" mode, but they do have a B1 and B2 mode.

MythBuster

Speck...all great points. Yes ride open, safe, and fun is priority 1, yet when a waterfall insn't working and it needs to be fixed you have someone look at it and eventually fix it. If you wait...then the next thing break....such as the steam....big deal.....then the bird. All i am saying is if you are on top of it and don't neglect it, it would be closer to the vision created. The comment that this piece of equipment has 18000 people a day is probably right on, yet that is what it was built to do. Yes it's open year round everyday, but they also have the teams and should have the backing to get it back up to snuff ASAP.

Exactly, that is why they have a 3rd shift for, to fix things when the ride is not operating

speck76

Exactly, that is why they have a 3rd shift for, to fix things when the ride is not operating
not everything can be fixed overnight...

and don't make the assumption that there is so much extra labor in the Orlando market that 3rd shift people are vast..........

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
I do know in Nov of 2006 (rode 3 times in a matter of 20 min) - all effects were working. Steam, bird, Yeti roar, and water falls (the only one that wasn't working was the cold mist as you crest the lift hill and travel "into" the mountain before the tracks are torn apart).

As for fixing the effects - it's as been stated before - if they don't fix them in a timely matter, then 'no one' misses them eventually. And if you don't miss that one element, then you surely won't miss another one (snow ball effect here folks - yes pun intended!) :p

Being that EE is sooooo very detailed, from the que - to the paint - to the snow - to the buildings - to the plant life - to the colors of everything you can see with EE, etc etc, it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't want all the elemets to work and pack the full punch.

WDWSEARCHER

EE Status

Rode EE last Thursday
We had steam, a whistle toot, water and a fully working Yeti. Did not see the bird, but this could have been because we were in the last car.

I3olTz

rode saturday i saw 1 of 2 waterfalls working, there was steam at the load area........and no bird(hawk..w/e) at the top of the MT. :animwink:

IROC it

Just remembered...

I just remembered that this thread was/is here...

When we rode it on May 27th, I saw everything working. Fog/steam, waterfalls, toot, Yeti roar and arm "swipe" -

I did note that the bird at the top of the tracks came up very late, as we were just beginning to drift backward, but I saw it pop up there.

WED10IA

I JUST got back (14th-21) and I only saw one waterfall and didn't notice the bird but the steam and Yeti were working. The steam vanished after a couple of rides though so I don't know.

Excuse me while I go into Disney Depression and wait another few years until the next trip.

dancin_in_epcot

i rode EE about a year or so after it open and i do not remember any steam, or a bird. the loading dock made the steam noise but there was no steam, the bird was i don't know:shrug: . I do remember the waterfall working though!

CaptainTomC

I rode Everest 4 times in the last two weeks, and there was no steam effect when the Train arrived at the station on any occation. Also there was no mist at the top or the Mountain on any of the times i rode. Plus other effects where not working either. Kinda strange for WDW to not have there ride's special effects working for such a long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom