Expedition Everest effects status watch

Ralphlaw

Walt settled on many things that were less than great.
We just weren't in on the decision making process.
Now we watch every step of the way

True, but he never allowed an embarrassment to be exposed to the public for a long time. Things happened that he didn't like, but he generally had the power to force a change when bad publicity and/or embarrassment took hold. That's what's so utterly odd about the yeti. It was a huge chunk of publicity that was talked about in Disney "documentaries". The whole attraction from queue to giftshop glorify it. Yet it slumps over broken for nearly a decade.

Coke got rid of New Coke after a couple years. Pontiac dumped the Aztec very quickly. Ford dumped the Edsel after 3 years. John Carter bombed and wasn't pushed beyond the initial release. Good companies make mistakes and move beyond them. The oops gets fixed or replaced. The yeti is an example of complete, embarrassing, avoidable paralysis. No, you can't easily replace the New Imagination pavilion, but some kids like it. Stitch's Great Escape is not good, but replacing it would be expensive, and it still has its share of riders. EE has huge ridership, but they're only getting a shadow of what they're supposed. Sad. Shameful. And sad again.

NormC

No but as the video in a previous post shows the new lighting scheme works very well to show off the immense although immobile animatronic.

Incomudro

True, but he never allowed an embarrassment to be exposed to the public for a long time. Things happened that he didn't like, but he generally had the power to force a change when bad publicity and/or embarrassment took hold. That's what's so utterly odd about the yeti. It was a huge chunk of publicity that was talked about in Disney "documentaries". The whole attraction from queue to giftshop glorify it. Yet it slumps over broken for nearly a decade.

Coke got rid of New Coke after a couple years. Pontiac dumped the Aztec very quickly. Ford dumped the Edsel after 3 years. John Carter bombed and wasn't pushed beyond the initial release. Good companies make mistakes and move beyond them. The oops gets fixed or replaced. The yeti is an example of complete, embarrassing, avoidable paralysis. No, you can't easily replace the New Imagination pavilion, but some kids like it. Stitch's Great Escape is not good, but replacing it would be expensive, and it still has its share of riders. EE has huge ridership, but they're only getting a shadow of what they're supposed. Sad. Shameful. And sad again.

Oh, I agree it should be fixed or replaced.
With all the money, Disney's got - even if the original Yeti can't perform in his original way due to some legal and safety issues as has been said - construct another one with a different range of motion.
they could still use the original Yeti skins (certainly the face) and hang them on a new moving skeleton.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
It's easy to be an armchair imagineer, but let's face it; yeti won't be fixed. Look at IJ in DL with the ice falling effect. Some things can't be fixed without a huge effort and taking the ride offline for a long time. No way would they do that to an E Ticket that has such a high capacity.

Incomudro

It's easy to be an armchair imagineer, but let's face it; yeti won't be fixed. Look at IJ in DL with the ice falling effect. Some things can't be fixed without a huge effort and taking the ride offline for a long time. No way would they do that to an E Ticket that has such a high capacity.

I don't consider it armchair engineering to say that a broken effect should be fixed or replaced.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Look at IJ in DL with the ice falling effect. Some things can't be fixed without a huge effort and taking the ride offline for a long time. No way would they do that to an E Ticket that has such a high capacity.

One could argue that the falling ice effect in Indiana Jones is/was not crucial (or even necessary) in the story telling narrative of the ride. Those who never experienced it (which is probably >99.9999% of the people who have ridden it) would never know it was missing unless you told them. On the other hand, the final encounter with the Yeti is the main narrative of Expedition Everest. The Yeti being broken on Everest is equivalent (in story telling impact at least... in my opinion) to the rolling boulder effect in Indiana Jones being broken.

Last edited:

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
One could argue that the falling ice effect in Indiana Jones is/was not crucial (or even necessary) in the story telling narrative of the ride. Those who never experienced it (which is probably >99.9999% of the people who have ridden it) would never know it was missing unless you told them. On the other hand, the final encounter with the Yeti is the main narrative of Expedition Everest. The Yeti being broken on Everest is equivalent (in story telling impact at least... in my opinion) to the rolling boulder effect in Indiana Jones being broken.
Very true. A lot has been said too that aside from the minority who saw A-mode, Disco Yeti WAS the final encounter.

Ralphlaw

But that's the point of much of the discussion. Many on this thread are asserting that a fix would be relatively easy and would only take the ride offline for a few days. I find that perplexing because if it truly was easy, a good company would have done it already. The only logical conclusion is that the fix would indeed be hard, expensive, and time-consuming OR Disney is an inept company. Given Disney's overall track record, I have a hard time believing the latter. A hard and time-consuming fix scenario would explain why it hasn't happened in nearly a decade. It sounds like you may be agreeing with me on this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Some things can't be fixed without a huge effort and taking the ride offline for a long time.

That may be true of some rides, but that's not the situation with the Yeti. They need to build a new one. Once it's built, the swap of old and new is relatively easy and quick. But building a new Yeti is neither easy nor quick and it very expensive.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But that's the point of much of the discussion. Many on this thread are asserting that a fix would be relatively easy and would only take the ride offline for a few days. I find that perplexing because if it truly was easy, a good company would have done it already. The only logical conclusion is that the fix would indeed be hard, expensive, and time-consuming OR Disney is an inept company. Given Disney's overall track record, I have a hard time believing the latter. A hard and time-consuming fix scenario would explain why it hasn't happened in nearly a decade. It sounds like you may be agreeing with me on this.
I feel like I am going in circles...

Easy, but expensive fix. Disney does not want to shell out 7+ figures to fix a single effect that most guests do not even know is broken.

If your check engine light came on in your car due to a minor evap leak that would not negatively affect your car in any measurable way and it was going to cost $20k to fix it, would you?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I agree. There must be information about the inner workings of the AA and how it is incorporated into structural assembly of the moutain that has not been disclosed, which would make it very expensive and take a long time to do. I can't blame them for holding off.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree. There must be information about the inner workings of the AA and how it is incorporated into structural assembly of the moutain that has not been disclosed, which would make it very expensive and take a long time to do. I can't blame them for holding off.

I has been disclosed by our insiders here. The inner workings of the Yeti was unbalanced as it moved and jammed up one of it's important structural actuators. It can't be fixed with a replacement of a new arm or actuator because the unbalanced nature is still present. Plus, fixing it requires bringing it up to higher safety codes. It has nothing to do with the structural element of the mountain's frame.

The solution is a new Yeti. Which takes time and money. And different departments are at war over who has to fix it and whose budget will be used. If they ever do it, switching the old for the new would be easy and would not require any lengthy downtime for the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom