1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Expedition Everest effects status watch

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by wdwmagic, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Doug Means

Doug Means Well-Known Member

how do i know what? is said IF, IF is such a big word. i was speculating on IF it is an easy fix, how funny it will be. people will lose their minds

2. ProtoProto

ProtoProto Member

The coaster is one with the mountain. For some reason, the imagineers designed it to be like that. The Yeti however, is not. That Yeti is, as Donald Trump once said, "Huge". In order to take out the Yeti, a big chunk of the ride would need to be taken out. Unfortunately It cant happen over night.

3. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

It is not. The track the mountain and the yeti are three separate systems that do not interact with each other. This has been stated in nearly every video that Disney has put out about the attraction's construction.

The Yeti has been fully removed at least once in a single evening.

4. ProtoProto

ProtoProto Member

I guess i heard the information wrong then. My bad:oops:

5. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

And just so you know I am not blowing smoke...they mention it at around 8:25 in the video below.

6. Ralphlaw

Ralphlaw Well-Known Member

If you saw it in A mode, you might not have that opinion. When EE was functioning fully, the whole pre-ride and ride led up to those 2 seconds. It was incredible. Immediately after it opened, many guests at WDW overall had it as their favorite ride anywhere. I assume very few feel as strongly now. On the contrary, it's pretty much on par with Big Thunder Bucket Railroad--a nice jostling experience, but probably not the big memory of your trip. Back then, it was. And we rode it over and over. My buddy went back the next day to AK just to ride it again--which meant at least an hour of travel time back and forth from the Beach Club, walking time, etc . . . Normally, given a week long trip, no more than a part of a day would be spent at AK. With A mode EE, we were paper fastpassing every chance we got, and he was returning to the park just to ride it again the next day. Is anyone doing that now? I doubt it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Red Sox and Master Yoda like this.
  7. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

It. Wouldn't. Have. to. Be.

8. Incomudro

Incomudro Well-Known Member

I never got to experience it in A mode. Wish I did.
    Not the big memory of one's trip however?
    For my family, even with the Yeti in disco mode - EE has always been one of the biggest and best memories of our trip.
    And while the coaster in general is little more than a runaway train, in application and theming it is so much more.

9. LizaMarie89

LizaMarie89 Member

It was absolutely incredible in A mode - even though it was only for a few seconds it totally enhanced the ride.

Incomudro and G00fyDad like this.
  10. G00fyDad

G00fyDad Well-Known Member

I agree but you have so many people getting off the ride completely satisfied that Disney is going to spend neither the time or money to fix something that most people do not realize is broken. I truly hope one day that Disney decides to go ahead and get this fixed.

11. Ralphlaw

Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, as I understand it, the sensors used to shut down EE frequently. A day rarely went by without some sensor alert closing the thing. If you stood in line for it 5 times, you were probably turned away or delayed at least once for a shutdown. We were.

I once heard that the yeti is indeed fully functional and "safe", but the ultra-sensitive sensors keep going off, thus shutting the thing down. Even if the yeti is separate from the track, a huge AA may indeed cause enough vibration to shut the thing down. We used to live 4 blocks from a printer, and sometimes the vibrations from the presses would caused clicking in our house with lampshades, mirrors and picture frames. That's 4 blocks, and the vibrations from the yeti are a heck of a lot closer to the track than that. The leading theory is that the yeti's base/foundation is not deep and/or strong enough to eliminate the vibrations that set off those sensors on the track.

Which then takes us to the best method for eliminating those vibrations, and the movable plate thing that causes the yeti's movement. Indeed, these have been discussed over and over, and I don't think anything definitive has been released for any of us to know for sure.

Either way, the disco light is a poor poor poor excuse for a replacement. Again, I and a dozen or so guys that I know could put a better band aid on it if given a week. With lights and projections, a darn good and scary replacement could have been in place for the past ten years. But no, we have Saturday Night Feeble instead. A faulty yeti is disappointing, but such is the risk with envelope-pushing innovation. Leaving a lame replacement in place for a decade is inexcusable. Stalin would have exiled those responsible: "Go and open Disneyland Yakutsk my idiotic comrade." But I digress.

12. Incomudro

Incomudro Well-Known Member

That's how good the ride is.
    EE works on you from the moment you enter the park, and get first glimpse of it.
    Much the way ToT does.

13. Ralphlaw

Sadly, I must agree. And Joe Rohde cries in his beer every night.

G00fyDad likes this.
  14. marni1971

Some people are easily pleased. IMHO.

Jones14 and G00fyDad like this.
  15. G00fyDad

G00fyDad Well-Known Member

I thoroughly agree. We get off this ride and listen to other leaving exclaiming how amazing it was with gleeful expressions. While we still enjoyed the ride we leave it wondering if they are ever going to fix it. It is shame.

16. Ralphlaw

Lost opportunities. They settle for mediocre because they know no better. Off point: I can't help but think whenever I see Will Farrel trying to do something funny that someone else could do it so much better. It's like Alladin 2. Without Robin Williams, it's not as good. The Who, without Keith Moon on drumset, is still good--but not quite.

EE without A mode yeti is good, but the poor souls who never saw it don't know what they're missing. So often we bellyache on these threads about how good things used to be. At times, I feel the same way. I never saw Tapestry of Dreams or Tapestry of Nations at Epcot, but I truly wish I had. The YouTube videos do not seem to do it justice, but I fear that the IPing of Epcot and World Showcase is a long ways from the purely beautiful and non-IPed Epcot that many of us long for. Perhaps in heaven's version of Epcot they'll all be back, and the singing Mexican birds and Norwegian princesses will be gone. Spectromagic will be back at MK. Jammin' Jungle will parade through AK. And the TTA will have a narration that won't put you to sleep.

Big time digression, but an apt comparison to the nostalgia I kind of feel for a fully functioning EE. 10 years after the yeti went into a permanent slouch, most people have no idea how amazing it once was. How many people's memories are blander because EE doesn't work as designed?

17. ProtoProto

ProtoProto Member

I find that hard to believe :(

18. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

There are large service doors on the backside of the mountain structure that are almost as big as the yeti itself. There are things inside the structure that are larger than the yeti that also may have to be removed at some point. The yeti, being a machine and not a real creature, can be disassembled, hoisted down the lift that was built next to it specifically for the purpose of servicing it, and removed.

Think about it for a second. This is like saying there was no way to get King Kong out of the old Kongfrontation ride without ripping the building open, but obviously there was a way because they didn't, and machines can be disassembled.

This is EXACTLY the same misinformation this thread keeps perpetuating. I literally just mentioned this exact false rumor on the previous page. Every few pages someone pops in without reading any previous posts and states the same misinformation, followed by several posts correcting them, then repeat a few pages later. The thread goes in circles forever, perpetuating false rumors and fanboy bitterness.

Unsticky this freaking thread already to stop enabling misinformation.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  19. ProtoProto

ProtoProto Member

I apologize. I don't have time to read 147 pages worth of posts

20. marni1971

In short it can be fixed / substituted. It's a relatively easy job. It's not happened.