Expedition Everest effects status watch

danyoung56

You're gonna hate me for this, but I'm also a little bit skeptical that the yeti has ever been pulled out. Some folks swear that he has, but I've never seen anything official talking about this. I'm willing to concede that I may indeed be wrong about this, though.

G00fyDad

You're gonna hate me for this, but I'm also a little bit skeptical that the yeti has ever been pulled out. Some folks swear that he has, but I've never seen anything official talking about this. I'm willing to concede that I may indeed be wrong about this, though.

And why would Disney "officially" announce that they're pulling the yeti out of the mountain? If you don't believe it then you don't believe it. There are people on this site who have worked closely with those on that project. That's all I'm going to say about it. If you don't want to believe it then don't believe it. Meanwhile I have some Olympics to watch. Have a good evening.

180º

Call me a skeptic. Perhaps some of the info put out has been correct. But until I see it come out of Joe Rohde's mouth, funky earring bouncing merrily away, I'm going to continue to have the opinion that no one really knows what the cause is.
I think that's a fair enough position. Still, as for me, I'll believe long-trusted insiders on this site before I believe a public statement from Disney. Sounds ridiculous, but the former is arguably more reliable than the latter.

danyoung56

I am learning, based on the comments of folks such as yourself, that some people on this site are pretty well respected. That kind of respect comes over time, and sadly I've only been around this site a year or so. As time goes on I'm sure I'll learn who to trust and who not to, but for now I remain skeptical about pretty much everything I read here and on other sites. There's just so much misinformation that's out there. It's easier for me to adopt an attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it". Makes me come across somewhat like a curmudgeon. But it's important for those kids to get off of my lawn!

Tom Morrow

Call me a skeptic. Perhaps some of the info put out has been correct. But until I see it come out of Joe Rohde's mouth, funky earring bouncing merrily away, I'm going to continue to have the opinion that no one really knows what the cause is.
You're never going to hear an official statement on what is wrong because "we know what is wrong and how to fix it/we have a plan in place to replace it or at least improve what exists in some way, but we aren't doing it because its still the most popular ride in the park so we don't really need to" isn't something that is going to go over too well.

danyoung56

....we know what is wrong and how to fix it/we have a plan in place to replace it or at least improve what exists in some way, but we aren't doing it because its still the most popular ride in the park so we don't really need to"....

I was with your statement right up to the end. I'd think they'd say something like "...it's still the most popular ride in the park and we don't want to take it down for a year to fix it."

Tom Morrow

It's been more or less confirmed that:

1. plans exist to either fix the yeti or change it out with a less demanding but more functional animatronic, or different proper show scene instead of a strobe light
2. Doing so would not require an extended shutdown of the ride, if at all
3. The only thing stopping them from doing this is $$$ because they don't really have to do it.

but I know you don't want to trust the proven insiders on this site, so you can think what you want.

danyoung56

...but I know you don't want to trust the proven insiders on this site, so you can think what you want.

Well, this is kind of a delicate thing. I don't actively mistrust what others have said, particularly those on this site that have their fans. My deal is that while you obviously trust them, I just don't know them enough to know if they're reliable or not. I can name a guy that I used to trust totally in his information about the inner workings of Disney. But he became so rabid in his disdain for the company that he lost all credibility. Many people worship Jim Hill. I find that his constant hyperbole and his use of his own colloquialisms in emails supposedly from others have combined to bring my opinion of his writing way down.

In this specific situation, many have said that the yeti fix is a relatively simple one, and Disney just doesn't want to spend the money. That may be correct, but it doesn't feel right to me. They're getting such a bad rap over this that if it were indeed as easy as some folks say, then it'd would have been done years ago. It makes more logical sense to me that the fix would require shutting down the ride for months while they spend buckets of money to do the fix.

But again, we're talking about the same company that has left the People Mover track up in DL and rotting away for years now, so who can say? All I want to say is that I mean no disrespect for others who express differing opinions here. They may indeed be right.

G00fyDad

Well, this is kind of a delicate thing. I don't actively mistrust what others have said, particularly those on this site that have their fans. My deal is that while you obviously trust them, I just don't know them enough to know if they're reliable or not. I can name a guy that I used to trust totally in his information about the inner workings of Disney. But he became so rabid in his disdain for the company that he lost all credibility. Many people worship Jim Hill. I find that his constant hyperbole and his use of his own colloquialisms in emails supposedly from others have combined to bring my opinion of his writing way down.

In this specific situation, many have said that the yeti fix is a relatively simple one, and Disney just doesn't want to spend the money. That may be correct, but it doesn't feel right to me. They're getting such a bad rap over this that if it were indeed as easy as some folks say, then it'd would have been done years ago. It makes more logical sense to me that the fix would require shutting down the ride for months while they spend buckets of money to do the fix.

But again, we're talking about the same company that has left the People Mover track up in DL and rotting away for years now, so who can say? All I want to say is that I mean no disrespect for others who express differing opinions here. They may indeed be right.

Who exactly are they getting a "bad rap" from? Us on these forums? Because honestly, 9 years later we are pretty well the only ones that know the Yeti ever moved the way it did. The general public thinks that it is as it always has been and that it is "just fine". THAT is why they don't bother with fixing it.

As for trust. Well, that is just something you're going to have to work on. I am no fan of the insiders here. By that I mean that I don't really know them well enough to like/dislike them. However, they have proven time and again how they know exactly what is happening at WDW. When one of them tells us that it has been removed already not once but twice and never required a shutdown of the ride then I will choose to believe them. The area in which the Yeti is located is rather large and "outside" of the track system. He can be "unbolted" and taken out through this large area and lowered to the ground floor where he is then taken out the back doors.

expedition-everest-from-above-big.jpg

NormC

The Yeti himself is not broken. It is the "mechanism" behind him. Sled or armature or mounting or foundation depending on which story you choose to believe. Nothing has ever been confirmed.

BasiltheBatLord

I think the reason it hasn't been fixed is because they can't justify shutting down what is considered by and large the main E-ticket in the park for the amount of time that would be required to fix it. We'll know whether that's correct or not when Pandora opens.

G00fyDad

I think the reason it hasn't been fixed is because they can't justify shutting down what is considered by and large the main E-ticket in the park for the amount of time that would be required to fix it. We'll know whether that's correct or not when Pandora opens.

Once again, he has been removed at least twice before. The ride does not need to shut down. They probably have not repaired him yet because it would either be impossible, be too expensive, or they just don't care because the majority of the public think that it has always been in its current state and are fine with it this way.

NormC

Or because it is not the yeti itself that needs repair but the structure or mechanism underneath him. The ride doesn't need to be shut down to remove him but it may need to shut down to get equipment in to fix actual problem.

G00fyDad

Or because it is not the yeti itself that needs repair but the structure or mechanism underneath him. The ride doesn't need to be shut down to remove him but it may need to shut down to get equipment in to fix actual problem.

I hadn't thought of that. If it is an issue that requires work to actually be done within the structure itself then it may need to be shut down. I was going with the assumption that the problem resided the the Yeti or the support/movement device that can be removed from the structure, worked on elsewhere, and then returned.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Who exactly are they getting a "bad rap" from? Us on these forums? Because honestly, 9 years later we are pretty well the only ones that know the Yeti ever moved the way it did. The general public thinks that it is as it always has been and that it is "just fine". THAT is why they don't bother with fixing it.

As for trust. Well, that is just something you're going to have to work on. I am no fan of the insiders here. By that I mean that I don't really know them well enough to like/dislike them. However, they have proven time and again how they know exactly what is happening at WDW. When one of them tells us that it has been removed already not once but twice and never required a shutdown of the ride then I will choose to believe them. The area in which the Yeti is located is rather large and "outside" of the track system. He can be "unbolted" and taken out through this large area and lowered to the ground floor where he is then taken out the back doors.

View attachment 155868
Where in this pic is the yeti? What part of the backstage area does he come out of?

G00fyDad

Where in this pic is the yeti? What part of the backstage area does he come out of?

He's not in the picture and I'm assuming he comes out that large red door. It looks like the only size door that they could have taken him out the two times he's already been out.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I knew he wasnt in the pic, I was asking where he was removed from. Couldn't see door bc on mobile QUOTE="G00fyDad, post: 7362724, member: 17675"]He's not in the picture and I'm assuming he comes out that large red door. It looks like the only size door that they could have taken him out the two times he's already been out.[/QUOTE]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom