Expedition Everest effects status watch

Incomudro

Why would they have to take the ride down? The Yeti comes out and goes in without shutting the ride down. Well, of course they cannot run the ride while they are actually removing and installing him. That would happen at night anyway. But EE can run, and has run with the Yeti out of the mountain before.
Because fixing what needs to be fixed may be more than just a matter of getting the Yeti moving again.

G00fyDad

Because fixing what needs to be fixed may be more than just a matter of getting the Yeti moving again.

Ok. If you're talking about an entire ride refurbishment then that's one thing. I thought the comment was directed toward only taking the Yeti out to fix him and put him back in. That does not require a shutdown. But to refurbish the entire ride, yes, I can see that.

Cesar R M

Ok. If you're talking about an entire ride refurbishment then that's one thing. I thought the comment was directed toward only taking the Yeti out to fix him and put him back in. That does not require a shutdown. But to refurbish the entire ride, yes, I can see that.
I actually wonder. When was the last time Everest had a full refurb?

Incomudro

Well, I'm not talking about an entire ride refurb. really.
What I'm saying is that in addition to the Yeti's function itself, there may be additional factors as was alluded to regarding safety issues, and/or legal issues concerning his movement above the train.
So, getting him going may be one thing - maybe that's the easy part.

NormC

Correct. Many have said that the Yeti himself is not broken. Many have said that the device that moves the Yeti in and out (sled, armature) may be broken. Some have said the mounting of it all is not strong enough to repeatedly take the force of the thrusting so it had to be shut down until a fix can be implemented. Some have said the foundation that it all is mounted to has cracked. No one has factually confirmed or denied any of it. It is all hearsay and rumor.

Incomudro

Correct. Many have said that the Yeti himself is not broken. Many have said that the device that moves the Yeti in and out (sled, armature) may be broken. Some have said the mounting of it all is not strong enough to repeatedly take the force of the thrusting so it had to be shut down until a fix can be implemented. Some have said the foundation that it all is mounted to has cracked. No one has factually confirmed or denied any of it. It is all hearsay and rumor.

And some has said that the safety factor of the possible structural failure of the Yeti on top of a passing train has scared the insurers.

Doug Means

it would be nice if a detailed report came out about what exactly is wrong and needs to be done (and just maybe a time frame of when it might be fixed). wouldn't that be nice, hmmm?

Incomudro

it would be nice if a detailed report came out about what exactly is wrong and needs to be done (and just maybe a time frame of when it might be fixed). wouldn't that be nice, hmmm?

I suspect, that like many things what is going on is a couple of issues.
Think; River Country where it wasn't one thing that led to its closing - but a combination of things.
I'm not saying that EE will be closing of course, but from what I've gathered here there are a couple of issues at work which has led to just leave it in disco mode for now.
I suspect, and hope that when Pandora opens and WDW can take the risk of closing the focal point of AK for a period of time to tackle them, that something will be done.

Cesar R M

I suspect, that like many things what is going on is a couple of issues.
Think; River Country where it wasn't one thing that led to its closing - but a combination of things.
I'm not saying that EE will be closing of course, but from what I've gathered here there are a couple of issues at work which has led to just leave it in disco mode for now.
I suspect, and hope that when Pandora opens and WDW can take the risk of closing the focal point of AK for a period of time to tackle them, that something will be done.
I honestly think EE will not close in the first 6 months.
The bulk of people going to see Avatar will also flock to other parts of the park.. thus EE will be needed for capacity purposes.
once the "hype" lowers down.. they might shut down EE.
But I would suspect they could close EE until Star Wars land debuts.

Ralphlaw

Just curious to see the wait times at an off peak time of year. EE is at 35 minutes, and the next longest at AK are primeval whirl and Kilimanjaro at 10 minutes.

Compare that to MK, with 6 attractions of 30 minutes or more, and another 4 with 15 minutes or more. Studios has 3 attractions at 30 minutes or more (Toy Story is at 70). At Epcot, soarin' is closed, but Test Track is at 50 minutes and Mission Space is at 20.

Which helps confirm that AK is a shell without EE, which is why they can't shut it down until something else comes along. Ergo: Any refurb will be well after Avatar opens. I also agree that the situation seems to be complicated, with malfunctioning yeti, broken sled, cracked foundation, scary arm over the coaster from an insurance standpoint, etc ,. . . By the way, although Disney is self-insured, I assume Lloyds of London is an underwriter. Safety people, whether they be from an insurance company, an outside consultant, an internal department, or government official, may indeed have nixed the yeti for its big overhead arm. Personally, I think another factor is that ultra-sensitive sensors kept shutting the ride down even though the actual safety risk was minimal.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

I hope they fix the yeti prior to Pandora opening. I think the new additions will bring many first timers to DAK, and if I were Disney I'd want GREAT word of mouth this time around.

StarWarsGirl

I hope they fix the yeti prior to Pandora opening. I think the new additions will bring many first timers to DAK, and if I were Disney I'd want GREAT word of mouth this time around.
I very much doubt that will happen. That ride needs a good six month refurb (at least) after Pandora goes up, not a bandaid refurb, and it won't get it while it's the only e-ticket in the park

Marc Davis Fan

I do hope they solve the hair-tie problem before Pandora opens. Wouldn't something like that generally be part of the regular nightly clean-up/maintenance (just like removing other trash that people left or dropped, etc.)? I assume it's a reach-ability issue, but can't that be resolved with a proper harness or cleaning tool?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I very much doubt that will happen. That ride needs a good six month refurb (at least) after Pandora goes up, not a bandaid refurb, and it won't get it while it's the only e-ticket in the park

It was the same when they messed up the turn table in the original version of Figment. They didn't ever fix it, too expensive. Though they could likely do better Imagineering to enhance the Yeti. All and all that coaster has been pretty reliable minus the Yeti with little down time over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom