Expedition Everest effects status watch

Cesar R M

The back of that thing is massive. A huge "sled" that his back is attached to is damaged. That would need to be fixed. Unfortunately, TDO doesn't know how to fix him and keep him fixed. If they replaced the parts then his weight would just cause the same damage again.
solution.. redo the thing with better newer tech.
Pretty sure the 2010's has better lighter materials for animatronics that do not need to weight 30 tons.

G00fyDad

Pretty sure the 2010's has better lighter materials for animatronics that do not need to weight 30 tons.

See. That's what I thought. I was thinking more of something like Carbon Fiber, but someone on here said that would not work. :(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
See. That's what I thought. I was thinking more of something like Carbon Fiber, but someone on here said that would not work. :(
Carbon fiber is not the end all be all material most people make it out to be. It can be very strong and very light, but stress can typically only be applied in one particular direction. Stress it in the other direction and crumbles like tissue paper.

G00fyDad

Carbon fiber is not the end all be all material most people make it out to be. It can be very strong and very light, but stress can typically only be applied in one particular direction. Stress it in the other direction and crumbles like tissue paper.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Yeti himself. Make his skeleton out of carbon fiber. Or is that the same thing you're talking about?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was thinking more along the lines of the Yeti himself. Make his skeleton out of carbon fiber. Or is that the same thing you're talking about?
Same thing.

Carbon fiber is unbelievably awesome in replacing sheet steel for things like body panels in cars or even the entire uni-body chassis. You can even use it in something like a drive shaft where the majority of the forces go in one direction (the twisting motion of the shaft), but you will most likely never be able to make something like a crank shaft, rods or pistons out of it.

For something as large, heavy and with such a large range of very fast movement as the Yeti, steel is still going to be the material of choice for the actual mechanics.

Now what might be possible is an overall reduction in weight by using different materials for the non-structural or low stress structural elements of the yeti, but I can not imagine them not doing that when it was initially designed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tell me about it. Hurts when you get a carbon splinter too.

Carbon fibre is light and strong, but does fracture, crack and split.

Bairstow

I don't think it's a question of technology, but of design approach.
Somewhere there's a clip of Bob Gurr fielding a question about the Yeti and what he thought about it and his reply was that the Kong he built for Universal 20 years earlier weighed a fraction of what the yeti would end up weighing, and that he didn't understand why the Yeti team was determined to go with such a heavy, powerful figure when something just as big but far lighter could have worked.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Not really. There's a lot of complaining, and more complaining, and even more complaining, but they keep going anyway. :)
I actually wonder how many people are 1st time travellers who didn't know that the Yeti worked.. or how Pirates was on its prime.
Me for example, I dont care much about the Yeti because I'm not a coaster fan, but worry that it is a fine example of Disney not giving a carp about maintenance on the "show" side.

G00fyDad

I think that there are those at Disney who do care about show and want to fix this stuff, but there are also people at Disney who don't care and get their way more often than not. I think that Disney is starting to turn themselves around slowly but surely and we're going to see more of this in the years to come. I just think that as a rabid fan base most forums like this have a habit of expecting far too much. We base our expectations on a perceived notion of how fast other entities in the same business work and operate. Then we apply that inflated idea of what we think Disney should be doing to what they actually are doing and it doesn't match up. That's when people get upset and believe that Disney is not performing at the level in which they should. Yes, I do believe that Disney could do more but maybe not that much more. Before Universal created the Harry Potter area when was the last time that they actually added anything major to the park? Disney is really starting to pick up the pace with additions and upkeep. Time will tell if they keep up with it or allow apathy back in.

Ztonyg

I think that there are those at Disney who do care about show and want to fix this stuff, but there are also people at Disney who don't care and get their way more often than not. I think that Disney is starting to turn themselves around slowly but surely and we're going to see more of this in the years to come. I just think that as a rabid fan base most forums like this have a habit of expecting far too much. We base our expectations on a perceived notion of how fast other entities in the same business work and operate. Then we apply that inflated idea of what we think Disney should be doing to what they actually are doing and it doesn't match up. That's when people get upset and believe that Disney is not performing at the level in which they should. Yes, I do believe that Disney could do more but maybe not that much more. Before Universal created the Harry Potter area when was the last time that they actually added anything major to the park? Disney is really starting to pick up the pace with additions and upkeep. Time will tell if they keep up with it or allow apathy back in.

What's kind of funny is the difference in directions that WDW and DLR have taken over the past 15 years or so.

Part of the complaining is that Disney has basically spent the vast majority of it's domestic capital in California at, what seems like, the expense of WDW.

Look at DLR in 2000 and compare it to 2015. Even taking into account the failure of DCA version 1.0 they've already corrected that problem (and corrected it within 11 years) before rolling out DCA version 2.0 in 2012.

DLR has gotten a brand new theme park with arguably 5 new signature attractions (TOT, RSR, GRR, Soarin', Screamin', and TSMM) plus all of the other attractions at DCA. RSR is the signature new attraction for Disney as a whole right now. In addition, they've had 2 other E tickets significantly refurbished (SM and BTMRR) and brought back the subs (which were filled in at WDW).

By comparison, WDW in that time frame park wise has closed up significant parts of Future World at EPCOT and also closed several attractions at DHS and opened a rehabbed Test Track at EPCOT and added a Dumbo carousel, a "dark" ride, and a relatively short "family" coaster to MK which replaced another dark ride.

WDW has also implemented MyMagic+ (which DLR doesn't have yet).

Disney had plenty of money to invest in the domestic theme parks and they did spend it, they just spent the VAST majority of theme park capital spending in California.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Thank you so much for posting this. Even when Pandora opens I'm highly doubting we'll ever see it look like this again but I still remember it from '06. So glad I was able to ride it in pristine working order.
yes, Riding with A Mode yeti was so scary!

The Tuna

What's kind of funny is the difference in directions that WDW and DLR have taken over the past 15 years or so.

Part of the complaining is that Disney has basically spent the vast majority of it's domestic capital in California at, what seems like, the expense of WDW.

Look at DLR in 2000 and compare it to 2015. Even taking into account the failure of DCA version 1.0 they've already corrected that problem (and corrected it within 11 years) before rolling out DCA version 2.0 in 2012.

DLR has gotten a brand new theme park with arguably 5 new signature attractions (TOT, RSR, GRR, Soarin', Screamin', and TSMM) plus all of the other attractions at DCA. RSR is the signature new attraction for Disney as a whole right now. In addition, they've had 2 other E tickets significantly refurbished (SM and BTMRR) and brought back the subs (which were filled in at WDW).

By comparison, WDW in that time frame park wise has closed up significant parts of Future World at EPCOT and also closed several attractions at DHS and opened a rehabbed Test Track at EPCOT and added a Dumbo carousel, a "dark" ride, and a relatively short "family" coaster to MK which replaced another dark ride.

WDW has also implemented MyMagic+ (which DLR doesn't have yet).

Disney had plenty of money to invest in the domestic theme parks and they did spend it, they just spent the VAST majority of theme park capital spending in California.
If you go back to the late 90's early 2000's people in California sounded exactly like WDW fans do now. They complained of how all the money was being spent in Florida and not California. They complained that it was in such terrible shape the same way everyone is complaining now about WDW. I don't understand why they can't update and maintain their parks on both coasts at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom