Expedition Everest Challenge

Mickey1984

I haven't ran this race and have no immediate plans to but it does interest me, can somebody who has done it give a quick run down (get it run down ... ok nevermind) of what happens, how it is run and what you do while running it? You never know it might interest me enough to think about doing it another year.

Mad Stitch

I ran in it last year. The Expedition Everest Challenge is a 5k (3.1 miles) race, obstacle course, and scavenger hunt all in one event. You receive a bib with timing chip, running shirt, and goody bag prior to the start just like any other running event. The starting line is in the AK parking lot. The first mile runs around the perimeter of the parking lot. At the second mile you run into AK, along the west side of the park, and up a service road to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. The third mile is a return trip back down the service road, along the east side of the park, and back into the parking lot to finish nearly where you started. About every mile into the run you encounter the obstacles. In my race they were hay bales to jump over, tires to high step through, and a cargo net to climb over. The event is timed in two portions, the run/obstacles and the scavenger hunt. Once you cross the finish line for the run your time is recorded and you are given your first clue. The scavenger hunt takes place in the Oasis, Camp Mickey Minnie, Africa sections of the park. Last year all the clues were word puzzles that you had to figure out before moving onto the next clue, about 4 clues/puzzles in total. Each stage of the scavenger hunt had a few different variants of the puzzle so the person next to you may not have the same answer as you. Once you complete all the puzzles you are permitted to cross the final finish line into Asia and receive your medal (that doubles as a compass) and goodies. Your final time is the combined times of the run and scavenger hunt. The after party consists of Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, a DJ dance party, the midway games, and character photo opps.

Katherine

Mad Stitch - Thanks for the info! I've been trying to figure out what this event is and your description is great! I think I'm signing up with a friend and doing it as a team challenge.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thanks for the run down Mad Stitch. One question: When you get done with your run, and you get your first clue, you head to Camp Minnie Mickey from what it sounds like, is there any way any of the really fast runners would encounter traffic from other still on the course? I guess the second mile is the only part they would have a hard time crossing with traffic heading to CMM, but I would imagine even the slowest corral would be past this part.

Thoughts?

Mad Stitch

Yes, there would have been a little bit of that. I don’t know how they managed the traffic situation though because all the runners were through by the time I got to the CMM clue. I did the race in 2011. I think in 2012 they moved the clues into the running portion of the race course as well, so you would run one mile and stop to solve the clue before continuing with the race.

joel_maxwell

Yes, there would have been a little bit of that. I don’t know how they managed the traffic situation though because all the runners were through by the time I got to the CMM clue. I did the race in 2011. I think in 2012 they moved the clues into the running portion of the race course as well, so you would run one mile and stop to solve the clue before continuing with the race.
Interesting. I cant decide which version I like best.

I gotta run this one day.

wiigirl

Interesting. I cant decide which version I like best.

I gotta run this one day.

Me too....someday. :p
75.gif

joel_maxwell

because of the deal I got my tickets cannot be changed and I will not arrive in Orlando until 10.30
Im flying into MCO at 2:30 on the 29th of this month... and the event is that night. Anything is possible. Just have to have a little luck and help from friends on these boards.

phllymouse

I ran in it last year. The Expedition Everest Challenge is a 5k (3.1 miles) race, obstacle course, and scavenger hunt all in one event. You receive a bib with timing chip, running shirt, and goody bag prior to the start just like any other running event. The starting line is in the AK parking lot. The first mile runs around the perimeter of the parking lot. At the second mile you run into AK, along the west side of the park, and up a service road to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. The third mile is a return trip back down the service road, along the east side of the park, and back into the parking lot to finish nearly where you started. About every mile into the run you encounter the obstacles. In my race they were hay bales to jump over, tires to high step through, and a cargo net to climb over. The event is timed in two portions, the run/obstacles and the scavenger hunt. Once you cross the finish line for the run your time is recorded and you are given your first clue. The scavenger hunt takes place in the Oasis, Camp Mickey Minnie, Africa sections of the park. Last year all the clues were word puzzles that you had to figure out before moving onto the next clue, about 4 clues/puzzles in total. Each stage of the scavenger hunt had a few different variants of the puzzle so the person next to you may not have the same answer as you. Once you complete all the puzzles you are permitted to cross the final finish line into Asia and receive your medal (that doubles as a compass) and goodies. Your final time is the combined times of the run and scavenger hunt. The after party consists of Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, a DJ dance party, the midway games, and character photo opps.

How many months in advance do they start taking reservations? Do you remember?
I am thinking about trying it..not a good puzzle person but I am willing.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I was so excited about making this my first Disney event but I wasn't expecting the registration fee to pratically double and jump from $55 to $105:eek: plus hotel plus gas and food...I can't swing that. I'm out.

dreamfinder

I was so excited about making this my first Disney event but I wasn't expecting the registration fee to pratically double and jump from $55 to $105:eek: plus hotel plus gas and food...I can't swing that. I'm out.

What? That is beyond ridiculous. At least when the first 5k at the F&W 1/2 was that price, it included a ticket to MNSSHP, so it was the same price in the end. And it doesn't look like that $105 includes any sort of park ticket. I thought in the past they did offer a 1 day park ticket as part of the cost, but the FAQ says you get your shirt, iGiftBag, and bib. Nothing else. Yikes. Wonder what that means for the longer races.

Mad Stitch

Wow, that's too expensive for a 5k. The after party has only three attractions open, so I couldn't justify the cost that way. I'm glad I have already done this one.

Bug715

It is the most expensive 5k Disney has but it isn't just a race. I'm sure the obstacles & scavenger hunt add more expenses. I hadn't thought about doing it before because of the cost and it falls on the same day as the Kentucky Derby every year. But this year I'm doing all the Disney 5ks so I'm doing it. I can't wait!

Registration opens December 11th.

joel_maxwell

Wow. That is about $30 more that i think it should be (from what i have seen). Now, my wife and I have always wanted to do this event, and if it were a once in a lifetime thing, I might go ahead and pay that to get the bling, but I wouldnt make it a yearly event. $105 for a 5k is steep. I bet they raised the prices with the recent popularity of the Tough Mudders and Warrior Dashes, since this is mildly similar with the challenges and obstacles (sans mud)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom