Expanding Disney Franchises

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
This is kind of a funky thread but it's a bit of a passion idea for me. So Disney has been big on diversifying their output for a while, and while I enjoy Star Wars and Marvel I think that there's much more potential for Disney to make a 'boy' companion to the animated canon Princess franchise, along with expanding the Princess franchise to encompass more diversity and include popular characters who should be in the franchise but inexplicably are not. So let's start with the Princesses.
tumblr_o8rts3juSJ1rxqyb4o1_500.jpg

So the current line up has Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, with the occasional additions of Anna and Elsa. My plan here will focus on expanding the line up, giving a new reason to the reason these women are princesses other than royalty, and giving another redesign to certain princesses who are not faithfully represented in their art. I'll be going through this in phases.
Phase One - re-redesign
1. Ariel: My big problem with Ariel's gown is two fold, it looks like nothing she would wear and the gown is horribly ugly. Ariel will be given a new gown based on the art work below in her normal sea foam green color. It's a much classier look and fits her character much better than the very modern gown she has now.
latest

2. Mulan: Everything about Mulan's redesign has betrayed every facet of her character. We have gone from a brave woman of color who cut off her hair to take her father's place to a barbie doll with long hair, lightened skin, and blue eyes wearing a color that only Chinese royalty would be allowed to wear in her time. Mulan's redesign would take her to a much more movie and time accurate look, with darker skin, brown eyes, shortened hair, and a simple qi pao rather than the overly elaborate ball gown she has currently. The rule for Mulan would be to keep her understated.

3. Pocahontas: While not as bad as some others, Pocahontas still got the short end of the stick in the redesigns. Simplifying her dress, cutting the unnecessary ribbons and feathers, and bringing her mother's necklace back to normal would suffice.

4. Cinderella: My only qualm with Cinderella is her gown. The blue is garish, make it silver as it was in the movie and it would be perfect.

Phase Two: What Makes the Disney Princess?
So we have the line up of 11 to 13 Princesses. But why are they princesses? The idea that they're all royalty is tossed out with Mulan and Pocahontas. At that point it just becomes 'popular female Disney characters' so why don't we change the definition of Disney Princess? I propose Disney Princess to now mean 'having a character and virtue befitting of being honored with the title'. So now instead of Princess So and so, these characters represent something in the wider world. A new slogan will also be added to the line, Stand Strong, Princess.
  1. Snow White: Kindness.
  2. Cinderella: Faith.
  3. Aurora: Grace.
  4. Ariel: Curiosity.
  5. Belle: Intelligence.
  6. Jasmine: Honesty.
  7. Pocahontas: Acceptance.
  8. Mulan: Bravery.
  9. Tiana: Perseverance.
  10. Rapunzel: Resourcefulness.
  11. Merida: Ambition.
  12. Anna: Loyalty.
  13. Elsa: Love.
Phase Three: Additions
Here's where the big changes come in. There's two very glaring exclusions based on the inclusions of Pocahontas and Mulan that has always bothered me. These two lovely ladies:
latest

latest

Esmerelda and Megara will join the franchise, along with Moana and other future cinematic princesses. Their redesign will happen at the time of their coronation and they will be added to the Parks' line up of characters (Disneyland: Fantasy Faire. Disney World: Esmerelda in France rotating with Aurora, Meg at the Fairytale Hall, and Moana at the Studios. Tokyo: Esmerelda roaming Fantasyland and World Bazaar, Meg roaming Mediterranean Harbor, and Moana roaming a new Polynesian land, Paris: Roaming the parks, Hong Kong: Fantasy Garden, Shanghai: Enchanted Storybook Castle) All three will add in new virtues to the line up and diversify the line up more with the Roma Esmerelda, Greek Megara, and Polynesian Moana.

Esmerelda: Justice
Megara: Selflessness
Moana: Compassion

So that's all I have for the princesses, next time: an old franchise recreated and made new. Disney Heroes.

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Disney Heroes
I've always considered the idea for this franchise, a male equivalent to the Disney Princess franchise, a gold mine that's never been dug in right. There are so many popular and potentially popular characters to be used here such as Hercules, Prince Philip, Prince Eric, Hiro, and Peter Pan that it just feels like money that is being sat on because Disney's not willing to make the tiny risk of attempting it. So here we are, the Disney Heroes franchise is being rolled out. Mirroring the Princesses, the Heroes will be granted virtues to act as role models. Roll out includes toys, dress up wear, rereleased films, and park meet and greets. Roll out is planned after the release of Gigantic (2018)
  1. Peter Pan: Joy
  2. Prince Philip: Bravery
  3. Wart: Knowledge
  4. Bernard and Miss Bianca: Gentleness
  5. Prince Eric: Duty
  6. Beast: Love
  7. Aladdin: Honesty
  8. Quasimodo: Acceptance
  9. Hercules: Kindness
  10. Lilo and Stitch: Ohana
  11. Prince Naveen: Charm
  12. Flynn Rider: Cunning
  13. Hiro and Baymax: Comfort
  14. Kristoff: Courage
Be Brave, Hero: The slogan of the franchise, similar to Stand Strong, Princess, and centered on the less masculine themes of the line such as joy, generosity, love, and kindness.
John the Hero: A Disney Junior counterpart for Sofia the First. Centered around a knight with a magic sword that summons a member of the Hero line, similar to Sofia the First's amulet. Will start with a pilot on Sofia the First with Aurora and Philip guest staring before beginning it's own series.
Meet and Greets: Counterparts to the princess meet and greets in each park will be added. At Disneyland, Fantasy Faire will be expanded and given a hero's hall matching the princess's. At Walt Disney World, Mickey's Philharmagic at the Magic Kingdom will be torn down. Peter Pan's Flight will expand into half of the building while the other half will be made over into the Hall of Heroes, mirroring Princess Fairytale Hall across from the carousel. Disneyland Paris will receive The Hero Pavillion across the path from The Princess Pavillion in Fantasyland.
Advertisements: A large ad campaign will accompany the launch, centered around the toys, play sets, and the Be Brave, Hero campaign.

I plan to come back and talk more in depth about these more and I am hard at work with a complete redo of my Disney Dream Resort, now moved to an undetermined location.

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Coming Soon: An In Depth look at the Disney Princess
I mentioned establishing an identity and virtue for each Disney Princess outside of being royalty, so I will begin going in depth to the 15 Princesses of the franchise and what establishes them as a Disney Princess and why their virtue makes them a Princess.

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
The amount of times I've watched Snow White to get every bit of her character in trying to start this essay series: 4
How many more times I'll have to watch it: idk like 2 or 3 probably?
But the essay series and some more franchises will be coming soon.

stitchcastle

This is an interesting concept, however I'd maybe rebrand the Disney Heroes line with a different name since you could run into the issue of "why aren't the princesses heroes? girls can be heroes too!"

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
This is an interesting concept, however I'd maybe rebrand the Disney Heroes line with a different name since you could run into the issue of "why aren't the princesses heroes? girls can be heroes too!"
I actually thought about using a different name but I honestly couldn't think of one that fit and flowed as well as Disney Heroes, which ended up being the reason I included Bianca and Lilo in the franchise.

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Small edits made to the Heroes. Robin Hood has been replaced with Wart, representing the virtue of Knowledge. Jack has been replaced with Prince Naveen, representing the virtue of Charm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom