1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Expanded viewing areas coming to the Tree of Life Awakenings

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Apr 14, 2017.

1. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

2. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

They are actually going to add projection to the back of Tree Of Life? This sounds interesting.

Captain Barbossa and flyerjab like this.
  3. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

Isn't this the type of deforestation they warned us about on Kali.

TBH this is the problem with choosing to go with a number of low-capacity nighttime offerings that guests need to choose from rather than one large-scale, large-capacity show. I hope this doesn't negatively impact the charm of that back walkway.

Sonconato, Lucky, George and 6 others like this.
  4. MansionButler84

As different as "the backside of water."

Magicart87 likes this.
  5. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Glad to see them doing this. The park still has plenty of trees. Always finding a complaint in something ...

6. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

No complaint from me. But I expect AK to be packed from opening of Pandora for the next year.

7. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Original Poster Administrator Moderator

Yes

George, EricsBiscuit, brb1006 and 3 others like this.
  8. JustInTime

JustInTime Well-Known Member

This is much needed.

brb1006 and Kman101 like this.
  9. MansionButler84

Me? Constantly complaining? I bring tons of good news here. And I agree this is necessary because of a flawed approach to nighttime entertainment. But here we are.

10. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Yes, you do bring tons of good news and I appreciate the information you share.

11. Macca250

Macca250 Well-Known Member

Keen to see this and Rivers of Light during my next visit in October. Currently DAK park hours are showing a closing time of 1900 in Oct. Do we think this is accurate or is it likely that park hours will be updated to show later closing times? Would be a shame to miss the new offerings after sunset, especially Pandora.

12. David2319

David2319 Well-Known Member

I actually think it's good that there's not one Epic scaled show like Illuminations. It diversifies the line-up. And also Animal Kingdom has always been more quaint and laid back than the other parks, so it it works nicely.

Though Rivers of Light should have had a larger arena I think it still works great.

13. Bolt

Bolt Well-Known Member

Inaccurate. It'll be changed.

14. Otterhead

Otterhead Well-Known Member

Just a note that the linked video on the news page is no longer working.

15. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Will the projections now be 360 degrees (Covering all sides of the tree) or just front and back?

21stamps and egg like this.
  16. MickeyMario

MickeyMario Well-Known Member

Because a large scale / large capacity show wouldn't need trees to be cut down to make room for all the people?

17. MansionButler84

It might unless and existing, appropriate space already exists. If not, a new build works. Hopefully in one space. Custom built. Not affecting the existing bark. Blessing of size, and all that.

Ever seen Fantasmic?

Fantasmicguy, WildcatDen and WDW1974 like this.
  18. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

It's also a park that wasn't initially designed with any of these shows in mind. Not saying I love trees being removed or charm being taken away, but they're adjusting as they go along.

I think the park has done a terrific job overall. They have great entertainment and a lot of it lasts past 5, unlike the other parks. They've kept IPs mostly out of the park and those used fit well. The Harambe expansion was needed and well done. Pandora will be beautiful (the rides remain to be seen but I have hope and they needed a boat ride and another simulator fills out the roster, not what everyone desired, me included, but it's hopefully a better more immersive version of Soarin') ...

19. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

I'd sooner call that WDW's curse of size. Nighttime offerings lose a lot of their charm if held in a stadium or parking lot near a park rather than in a park. As F! is. Or with a custom build parking lot within a park, as for the MK castle clips shows.

One could project Awakenings on a big canvas in the DAK parking lot, and all logistical issues are solved. But what's the point in that? The charm is seeing the tree come alive, the magic is the dense park.

SpectroMan93, George, BrianLo and 7 others like this.
  20. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member

I do worry about how many trees (naturally!) have been removed. I noticed this with a friend when up for wogwog's funeral when we spent a few hours at DAK one night. We thought the trees had been cleared for something on the water this summer (assuming that Pandora will cause the park to be slammed) ... I guess we know what the clearing and the equipment installed were for.

But, yeah, I don't want DAK becoming the concrete wasteland that the MK has. Again, anyone who was there last century, knows that it was PARK like.