Exclusive Dining Coming to All 4 Parks and Disney Springs?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OMG, Marni -- this totally gave me chills. When you mentioned the lounge, like I immediately thought of the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars Land.

2cqd4oz.jpg

2f0d151.jpg

2wpuv53.jpg

Way back in the Star Wars Land thread I expressed my concern over how Disney was going to address the massive crowds for the Star Wars lounge and restaurant. Like, I just couldn't figure it out.

So, if Disney makes these dining experiences exclusive like Club 33, obviously that would address any issues concerning crowds.

Plus, with the addition of GOTG in Epcot, they could offer something similar.

And, also an exclusive bioluminescent Avatar lounge and restaurant for AK or a safari lounge or something like that. I can't think of anything for MK, though -- of course the underground restaurant and maybe a lounge on Mainstreet above Starbucks or something.

I just don't know -- everyone said that Disney was going to charge for Fastpass+ and I never believed that for one second. So, hopefully this won't happen.

But, then again that could like anger so many Star Wars fans and regular fans, too. The more I think about it, I don't think Disney would do that.

Sure they would - because the 'Guests will come no matter WHAT we do' until they come not they will... (in Yoda voice)

Frankie The Beer

I hope this is true, I would love for better dining option at the parks and more towards the higher end of food and service like Alinea and the French Laundry. I think Disney could support such offerings and people will be willing to go there.

TP2000

I hope this is true, I would love for better dining option at the parks and more towards the higher end of food and service like Alinea and the French Laundry. I think Disney could support such offerings and people will be willing to go there.

Disney can't do French Laundry level of cuisine or service. It just can't.

That would be like asking the Darden Corporation to do French Laundry type experience and earn at least one Michelin star. Impossible and never happening.

But WDW could do Disneyland Resort level of cuisine and service in the parks, like Club 33, Carthay Circle Restaurant, and 1901 Lounge. From what our insiders here have told us, WDW will begin with a simple cocktail lounge with drinks and light snacks, and work up from there if it's popular.

This would obviously have to be in no way connected to the Dining Plan for it to work correctly.

TP2000

Yes they can, ever hear of Victoria and Alberts? Nice little high end place with food and service on par with any high end place not named Alinea.

I've both heard of it and dined there. The French Laundry has 3 Michelin stars. Victoria & Albert's has zero Michelin stars. Different level of service and quality. But for WDW, Victoria & Albert's is about as good as it gets.

Even though it can't compete with truly world-class restaurants like The French Laundry, I can't imagine TDO trying to recreate Victoria & Albert's at all four WDW parks and Disney Springs. It's a minor miracle that Victoria & Albert's even still exists in the 2010's.

Jimmy Thick

I've both heard of it and dined there. The French Laundry has 3 Michelin stars. Victoria & Albert's has zero Michelin stars. Different level of service and quality. But for WDW, Victoria & Albert's is about as good as it gets.

Even though it can't compete with truly world-class restaurants like The French Laundry, I can't imagine TDO trying to recreate Victoria & Albert's at all four WDW parks and Disney Springs. It's a minor miracle that Victoria & Albert's even still exists in the 2010's.

You do know Michelin only judges restaurants in San Francisco, Chicago and New York right?

V&A would almost surely, easily get three stars if judged, service alone would get it one star. If you have eaten at both the French Laundry and V&A you should know this. And why are you using Michelin ratings as some kind of argument? They are as corrupt as politicians.

Check out this list based on the top restaurants in the world from Tripadvisor, this is a far more accurate snapshot of what is a good fine dining establishment:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Restaurants

TP2000

You do know Michelin only judges restaurants in San Francisco, Chicago and New York right?

Currently, yes. Although they have just returned to Washington DC and Las Vegas. They left Los Angeles in 2009, but they are rumored to return in '17. They go where the foodie scene is, and they leave it when the scene dies.

V&A would almost surely, easily get three stars if judged, service alone would get it one star. If you have eaten at both the French Laundry and V&A you should know this. And why are you using Michelin ratings as some kind of argument? They are as corrupt as politicians.

Check out this list based on the top restaurants in the world from Tripadvisor, this is a far more accurate snapshot of what is a good fine dining establishment:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Restaurants

Perhaps V&A could earn a Michelin star. It's a very good restaurant, I don't think anyone is debating that. But as for a Michelin rating for V&A, thus far Disney management has not pursued it and currently Michelin has not deemed it appropriate to be rating restaurants in Florida.

The relevancy of the Michelin guide is a whole other story, and I've read several accounts of London chefs avoiding even a 1-star rating because they just don't want the pressure and drama. The entire Japanese guide is rife with scandal due to those issues, and a growing belief the guide holds native Japanese cuisine to a lower standard it does French or California cuisine.

Having even a 1-star Michelin restaurant in Orlando, the home town of the Darden Corporation, would be rich with irony. I'd love that!

Jimmy Thick

Perhaps V&A could earn a Michelin star. It's a very good restaurant, I don't think anyone is debating that.

Le what? V&A would easily get three Michelin stars, it's far and away one of the very best fine dining restaurants you can possibly eat at in the world. Rated by chefs and consumers. Seriously have you really eaten there? Its hard to understand how you stated Disney cant do French Laundry style service or cuisine yet they have a extremely comparible fine dining restaurant that some consider the second finest restaurant in the United States. I have eaten at V&A, French Laundry, Alinea, Nobu, Next, Le Bernardin and Moto, with receipts to prove it if I want to find them and dig them out. With the exception of Alinea and Le Bernardin, V&A is within those class of establishments easy. It's not something you could really debate, it just is.

But as for a Michelin rating for V&A, thus far Disney management has not pursued it and currently Michelin has not deemed it appropriate to be rating restaurants in Florida.

Michelin does not rate restaurants in Florida. Nothing anyone can do about that. But those that do rate restaurants in Florida universally give V&A it's very highest ratings on an annual basis.

AEfx

Are you missing the fact that the "Club 33" this is supposed to be based upon costs $25,000 to join and $10,000 a year in annual dues?

Oh and that's just to get in - you still pay top dollar to eat once you are in.

So even if this ends up being a smaller version, that costs even 1/5 of that - still eager for it?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I suppose there might be a very small number of Orlando folks, or corporate sponsors, who would want to pay annual dues for this privilege. But I can't work out in my mind how this could ever run in Orlando on the scale and scope of Club 33 at Disneyland, with all the perks and tours and extras Club 33 members get on top of access to the Club 33 dining room and the two in-park cocktail lounges.

Plus getting it all to pencil out without being able to charge the Club 33 initiation fees and annual dues in excess of $25,000.

well club 33 works because of the proximity of the park to the SoCal scene and all the people and businesses that encompasses. Orlando is nothing like that and I can't see any sort of 'Mickey Mouse Country Club' working there under today's expectations of PnL. I mean, look what they've done to the Cali version in the last 5+ years... to an entity that has so much legacy to protect it... yet still has been violated.

I mean... Disney struggled to make the DVC-only club at the Contemporary work.. which has great location, perks like the overlook of MK, etc. I would think tapping the DVC crowd would be the first audience to try to upsell to a new perk tier.

Unless Disney is going full corporate suite/access... I really wonder what the target demographic here is, with enough volume to make it viable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But WDW could do Disneyland Resort level of cuisine and service in the parks, like Club 33, Carthay Circle Restaurant, and 1901 Lounge. From what our insiders here have told us, WDW will begin with a simple cocktail lounge with drinks and light snacks, and work up from there if it's popular.

The cruise ships show Disney can do high end dining when they want.. but I don't know why Disney really doesn't have much of that dining anymore on land.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Of COURSE we will see "Exclusive Dining".....

Publish the menus. When there are excellent offerings, that are not all that cheap? We have REAL "Exclusive Dining" - and not yet another DDP crippled "limited Dining" Restaurant.

All personal opinion, I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
well club 33 works because of the proximity of the park to the SoCal scene and all the people and businesses that encompasses. Orlando is nothing like that and I can't see any sort of 'Mickey Mouse Country Club' working there under today's expectations of PnL. I mean, look what they've done to the Cali version in the last 5+ years... to an entity that has so much legacy to protect it... yet still has been violated.

I mean... Disney struggled to make the DVC-only club at the Contemporary work.. which has great location, perks like the overlook of MK, etc. I would think tapping the DVC crowd would be the first audience to try to upsell to a new perk tier.

Unless Disney is going full corporate suite/access... I really wonder what the target demographic here is, with enough volume to make it viable.

What Disney really wants is dining fit for TDO Executives so they don't have to mix with the Hoi Polloi at other Disney venues, But they can't justify building executive dining rooms, So Disney will build Club 33 knockoffs and magically executives will have access, Of course the Disney Moms and select bloggers will also be invited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom