Everything "Old" is gone

danpam1024

Original Poster
Been a watching movies kind of day- on a Hitchcock streak. I wish the studios side would somehow incorporate Universal Films from the beginning, like when we had the Psycho house and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. ET is really the only thing that's left (and it's not THAT old). I wonder why they decided to get fid of the history???

danpam1024

Original Poster
History wasn't bringing people through the turnstiles. Same reason it took a popular remake just to get a ride based on one of the classic monsters, one of the most quintessentially Universal things. No one would have cared otherwise.
aren't they re-making The Mummy again?

JT3000

aren't they re-making The Mummy again?

Yes. And so I suspect even that isn't long for this world.

On an ironic note, I suppose it's somewhat reassuring (not to mention surprising) that we're finally getting another ride based on a very old film icon, Kong, despite even Universal's version being over 10 years old.

Last edited:

danpam1024

Original Poster
Heard they were making separate movies based on old monsters- like Mummy, Dracula, etc, then bringing them together in an "Avengers-style" movie. Any truth to that rumor?

Disneyhead'71

Heard they were making separate movies based on old monsters- like Mummy, Dracula, etc, then bringing them together in an "Avengers-style" movie. Any truth to that rumor?
Yes. That was/is the plan. Dracula Untold was supposed to be the first. Unfortunately it didn't do well at the box office. Mummy, with Tom Cruise is the second.

JT3000

Reboots tend not to work if even the young viewers have seen the old movies. I can't think of one rebooted movie that I liked?

I can think of a few. King Kong, Batman, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, and James Bond have all received reboots where I've seen the older films and still enjoy the newer ones, even preferring some of them.

Reboots can serve several purposes if they're well done, such as reviving previously dead franchises with new ideas, or even just reintroducing a long dead franchise to a more modern audience in a form they can more easily appreciate. Just don't pull a Spider-Man and retell the same origin story repeatedly.

PinnySmart

i am SOOO with you, DanPam !! I think he just plays "Tom Cruise" in everything. Just the clothes change...
Me too. I enjoyed the first 2 and some of the 3rd(loved the Yeti's). Back to the original post, I really wish Alfred Hitchcock was represented in the parks. His movies are such an important piece of the history of movies IMO.

danpam1024

Original Poster
Me too. I enjoyed the first 2 and some of the 3rd(loved the Yeti's). Back to the original post, I really wish Alfred Hitchcock was represented in the parks. His movies are such an important piece of the history of movies IMO.
Watching the Bate's Motel series makes miss the Alfred Hitchcock Presents :(

DarthMileZ

I can think of a few. King Kong, Batman, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, and James Bond have all received reboots where I've seen the older films and still enjoy the newer ones, even preferring some of them.

Reboots can serve several purposes if they're well done, such as reviving previously dead franchises with new ideas, or even just reintroducing a long dead franchise to a more modern audience in a form they can more easily appreciate. Just don't pull a Spider-Man and retell the same origin story repeatedly.

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes isn't a reboot its a prequel btw, unless your refering that terrible tim burton remake !

mvieguy

I have to say that my days at Universal and Disney MGM Studios were because of the idea that they were working studios. they gave you a behind the scenes peek at how things were done. But my Generation was an educated generation, that didnt rely on Video games and the Internet for social activity. the new Generation, which I deemed Generation ADHD. cannot handle any rides that are below D ticket. Jaws, King Kong, and Earthquake would have been too slow for them (Sooner or later, its the same fate as ET). The tounge in cheek comedy of Back to the future was "eye rolling" according to an 18 year old i spoke to. I mean heck they put the RRR in the middle of New York street. which is just ugly. Days of I love lucy the tribute, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twister, Backdraft, and Shows like The Wild West stunt show or Animal Actors just do not have the same appeal to this generation as it did to us. we liked to be educated and discover the magic. this generation just wants attention and mindless thrills. BTTF is a far superior film and ride compared to the Simpsons. but its not in theis generations mindset. Jaws was replaced by the over popular Harry Potter because of Money. If you look at Universal now. MITB is a sony property, Simpsons Fox, Harry Potter Warner bros, Terminator Warner/paramount, Shrek Dreamworks. Transformers Paramount. techically Mummy, KingKong, ET, Minions, and jurassic park are the only brands they own. outside of some smaller ones.

Its just the time we live in

JT3000

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes isn't a reboot its a prequel btw, unless your refering that terrible tim burton remake !

It was a reboot. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was its sequel, and they're making another one.

I have to say that my days at Universal and Disney MGM Studios were because of the idea that they were working studios. they gave you a behind the scenes peek at how things were done. But my Generation was an educated generation, that didnt rely on Video games and the Internet for social activity. the new Generation, which I deemed Generation ADHD.

The original studio park concept doesn't work anymore, not because of a so-called ADHD generation, but because you can easily find that stuff on a blu-ray. For the most part, they weren't telling us anything we didn't already know.

If you look at Universal now. MITB is a sony property, Simpsons Fox, Harry Potter Warner bros, Terminator Warner/paramount, Shrek Dreamworks. Transformers Paramount. techically Mummy, KingKong, ET, Minions, and jurassic park are the only brands they own. outside of some smaller ones.

I've never understood why this matters to people, but most of their upcoming attractions are things they own. They also just bought Shrek and the Jay Ward properties.

Last edited:

danpam1024

Original Poster
I have to say that my days at Universal and Disney MGM Studios were because of the idea that they were working studios. they gave you a behind the scenes peek at how things were done. But my Generation was an educated generation, that didnt rely on Video games and the Internet for social activity. the new Generation, which I deemed Generation ADHD. cannot handle any rides that are below D ticket. Jaws, King Kong, and Earthquake would have been too slow for them (Sooner or later, its the same fate as ET). The tounge in cheek comedy of Back to the future was "eye rolling" according to an 18 year old i spoke to. I mean heck they put the RRR in the middle of New York street. which is just ugly. Days of I love lucy the tribute, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twister, Backdraft, and Shows like The Wild West stunt show or Animal Actors just do not have the same appeal to this generation as it did to us. we liked to be educated and discover the magic. this generation just wants attention and mindless thrills. BTTF is a far superior film and ride compared to the Simpsons. but its not in theis generations mindset. Jaws was replaced by the over popular Harry Potter because of Money. If you look at Universal now. MITB is a sony property, Simpsons Fox, Harry Potter Warner bros, Terminator Warner/paramount, Shrek Dreamworks. Transformers Paramount. techically Mummy, KingKong, ET, Minions, and jurassic park are the only brands they own. outside of some smaller ones.

Its just the time we live in
I agree with this mostly, however, I have a 14 year old. He DOES play video games, but he also reads, watches (and enjoys) old movies, is interested in how they were made, does NOT have ADHD or (insert other diagnosis here). His generation does kind of suck. They are kind of lazy. But WE are the ones that created them (not me, I know how to say "no"). But the ones that aren't, the ones like my son, they are the innovators and creators of tomorrow. They are hard working, brilliant, respectful, and empathetic. They want to change the world despite how their peers act or behave. He seeks out truth and information in a world that's full of complete BS. Harry Potter, to them, isn't a "money maker". It is a world from books they poured themselves into as children come to life! It is every thought they had while reading right there in front of them- how amazing they live in a time where this is possible. Please don't give up on them, some of them are trying, against all odds, and we need them :) Now let me step off my soap box.

DarthMileZ

It was a reboot. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was its sequel, and they're making another one.

Nope, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is set just as the spaceship from the original is leaving earth, you see it on a TV screen during the film. the terrible tim burton remake has a slightly different story line and twist at the end (that didnt make sense) so yeah Rise is a prequel.

Dawn is the follow up and War will most likely finish where the original POTA picks up.

Hence why caesar is considered the first ape in the original set of movies and is worshipped like a god etc.

Timekeeper

Jaws continues to show up in pop culture, even in fashion:

2285875.jpg

OliveMcFly

I first went to Universal in 1990, I was 8 years old. This was my first introduction to Hitchcock,I started with "Psycho" after I saw the scene recreated in the attraction although"Vertigo" is my favorite Hitch film. It really was a great piece of USF and also got me interested in film making. The first film I wrote and directed had a strong Hitchcock tone to it.

deere839

im surprise they haven't closed Men In Black yet but alot of stuff i liked at Univerisal is closed like twister i missed Jaws and Back to the Future even though im 19 i like the old franchises like Back to the future i hope with Kong Opening they go back to the former IPs like Kong and re take a look at them and bring them back in new form

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom