Ever get ill because it's just so darn hot?

Souvenir

I do know this and I sometimes take advantage of it. However, I feel a little awkward asking for 2 free waters as much as I drink. Plus, they don't taste that great. I know Disney makes money on water and I'm OK with that.
I know exactly what you mean, almost feels cheap and cheeky asking. Perhaps we're so conditioned to paying for anything and everything in the parks that we come out of our 'comfort zone' when asking for anything 'free'. It almost feels like begging for charity at first, but after the second time I did it I learnt to live with it and do it now without a care in the world :cool:

I can't bring myself to ask for free water if I'm not buying something as well. If I'm purchasing a meal, then I'm comfortable asking for an ice water with it since I don't drink soda. The rest of the time I just buy a bottle as needed. I also get 4 cases of bottled waters with my Garden Grocer order.

correcaminos

Sometimes, I fill camelbak water bottles with ice and bottled water before we leave our resort.
We do sometimes bring it with us. That said we never go too hard in the parks so it's not a need. Usually then I bring Zephyrhill water as it is so good. They sell it in gallon containers usually at DVC marketplaces.

A few cups with snacks or meals usually is enough for me though. We travel light in the parks when we can.

SJH'72

Coming from the UK I agree that the heat can be unbearable at times. Though I love coming out of an air conditioned restaurant into the balmy heat in the evenings!

I remember feeling very unwell July 4th 1990 while visiting Sea World despite drinking gallons of water etc but as others said I just wasn't used to it coming from London.

We stayed off site in a villa last time so had the luxury of buying cheap bottles from Publix and freezing them overnight. Everyone then had their own frozen bottle each day (the kids with their own insulated bottle carriers) which slowly melted and was topped up from the fountains etc. Kept cold for ages, diluted the Disney taste and saved us heaps! Will be doing the same again this year.

jloucks

I'll be honest...if you're in decent physical shape and drink enough water, there is absolutely no way a day at the parks should get you to the point of heat exhaustion, dehydration, or heat stroke. Essentially, you're walking around the parks and spending a lot of time in A/C.

The human body can take a lot of abuse when it's properly fueled. You 100% didn't drink enough.

Orlando is really not that hot in comparison to many climates in the US. Yes, it's humid, but you're not running a marathon.

Well, true, but a huge portion are not in decent physical shape. Heck, obesity alone is over 35%. Add to that high heat and humidity and you have a nice recipe for heat stroke.

People do acclimatize to environments. So, all other things equal, some people are used to heat and others not. I am from Texas, I can handle 100 fairly well (well, until I got fat, now not as well). I cannot handle 16 very well. how your body thermoregulates and manages electrolytes changes.

So, long story short, take an Eskimo in perfect health, throw them in WDW in the middle of summer, give them lots of liquids, and there is still a much better than average chance they will heat stroke. More than even an portly guy from Texas.

jloucks

Contrary to what people like to believe (*yay, we are all different*), humans function in largely the same way...so actually, I do.

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition and/or are extremely overweight, this should not be tough for you. Remember, our species used to live and work outside 24/7/365.

Agree, but, you have to have time to acclimatize. This process takes months. Not a few hours from the airport.

WannaBWendy

I grew up and currently live in Texas and have lived with heat and humidity, taking care of animals and working outside. I am used to being out in the heat, though not as much as I used to. On our last trip, I got a terrible headache every time we hit the parks during the day. I decided that was my last visit during the summer. Think I'll try other times of the year from now on.

jloucks

Yea,
I grew up and currently live in Texas and have lived with heat and humidity, taking care of animals and working outside. I am used to being out in the heat, though not as much as I used to. On our last trip, I got a terrible headache every time we hit the parks during the day. I decided that was my last visit during the summer. Think I'll try other times of the year from now on.
I hear you. DFW guy here. I could used to do SixFlags @ 100 degrees. We went last week at 92 and I was not handling it very well. I never passed out, but I did get a little light headed and clammy. I drank tons, so that wasn't it. Approaching 50 physically, approaching 28 mentally, and those two don't work together well sometimes. :p

wendysue

Yep...passed out at Oh Canada just last week. (Well, I felt it coming on and managed to get just outside of Oh Canada before I kinda slid down the wall). Didn't see it coming as I always drink 80 to 100 oz of water a day, at least. Got off the plane and drove to my doctor, who informed me I had a really bad bronchitis, which was probably aggravated by the heat.
Glad I didn't get that sick BEFORE those fabulous fireworks on the 3rd. :)

Huggups

Yes, being overweight and/or out of shape can affect one's ability to tolerate heat. But so can certain other changes in physiology - menopause, hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems, cancer, medications, etc. To make a blanket statement that most people having problems tolerating Florida's temperatures is because they are overweight or sedentary when you have no idea is wrong. One of the posters indicated he has a medical condition that cause problems with heat regulation. Some people can tolerate heat better than others simply because their unique physiology provides that, while others cannot - and it has nothing to do with body weight or activity - it's genetics.

I'm a runner, I like to think I'm in decent shape. But I've found since menopause, my thermostat seems to be set higher and I get hot faster. My A/C now runs several degrees lower in order for me to be comfortable.

And it is getting warmer. 2016 was hotter than 2015; 2015 was hotter than 2014. 2017 is on pace to be hotter than 2016. We've seen scorching, record temperatures everywhere. Spring comes earlier, hell, it hardly shows up at all now. January used to be the coldest month. Now we get maybe 4-5 days of cold weather. Summer lasts until November.

And yes, to answer the OP's thread title, people get sick when it's hot...and not just because they are overweight or sedentary...

You are right there! Although I'm not a big person but I could stand to lose 15-20 lbs. Of course, I've battled weight problems all my life but the only time the heat in FL really bothered me was when I was going through menopause. Never passed out though. I would just feel it more and would have to take lots of a/c breaks. I also now have issues with motion sickness. So for me it's more age and possibly medications rather than weight.

Last edited:

drizgirl

You are right there! Although I'm not a big person but I could stand to lose 15-20 lbs. Of course, I've battled weight problems all my life but the only time the heat in FL really bothered me was when I was going through menopause. Never passed out though. I would just feel it more and would have to take lots of a/c breaks. I also now have issues with motion sickness. So for me it's more age and possibly medications rather than weight.
I'm guessing Chef Mickey probably doesn't know the impact menopause would have on the situation.

Huggups

We used to go to WDW many years ago in the Summer months and we never had bottled water and we never got sick. Hmm...I always drink Dasani in WDW and I think it's OK.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

LOL...don't get your too feathers ruffled there big guy. This is a friendly discussion. I just pointed out to you that it's objectively worse in Dallas on that day. Dallas and Houston are humid too, particularly Houston. To say Orlando is "much more" unbearable than Dallas is just laughable...it's probably because you're rarely outside in Dallas because WDW isn't there. You make it sound like Orlando is on a different planet. It doesn't even get over 100 there. Dallas was over 100 40 days in a row in 2011 and it's not 0% humidity. It's routinely 60% so the "feels like" is 115.

Currently...Dallas is 95, feels like 105.
Currently...Orlando is 88, feels like 94.

Anyway, you think Florida is hotter...good. Drink some water and you'll be fine.
Just a weather update.

Currently:
Dallas is 98, feels like 104 with 45% humidity.
Orlando is 88, feels like 97 with 61% humidity.

danyoung56

You can throw up all the stats you want - it don't impress me. I've been far hotter, consistently, in Florida than I ever have been in Dallas. Today that may not be the case, but over the years it's been a noticeable difference.

Raineman

I have lived all of my life in Canada, most of it in the southernmost area of the country, where the temp in the summer routinely hits the mid 80's and up into the low 90's, with 60-70%+ humidity on top of it (we are surrounded by 3 of the 5 Great Lakes), so I can handle the heat pretty well, but there is no way I am ever going to WDW in the summer. I went to Nashville last July, and every day I was there, the temperature with the humidity felt well over 100, and it was extremely uncomfortable, so having heat like that and walking miles and miles each day around the parks would most likely cause me heat stroke. I have only ever been to WDW in March, where the days were pleasantly hot, and the nights were cool. Going this year on the first week of November, so I am hoping for similar temperatures.

jaklgreen

OK, my 2 cents. I think some people handle heat better then others. I am not obese but do have a few extra pounds on me, I am always hot. I have my air conditioning set to 67 and still wake up sweating, but I am pretty sure that is pre-menopause hormone crap. I work in a bakery and have 2 325 degree ovens running right behind me all day. I sweat my tooshie off every single day. Now, at WDW the heat does not bother me at all. I actually love it. I love being outside and can spend all day out there enjoying the sun and feel fine, of course I drink plenty and I know my body and the signs it gives me if I need food or water, etc. My husband on the other hand, does not do well in the heat, and he is skinny. He hates being in the sun and would never go to WDW if it didn't make me so happy. But like I said, we know out limits and make sure to frequent breaks and keep hydrated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom