Ever get ill because it's just so darn hot?

Chef Mickey

Our visit this past February was wonderful-not super hot or humid and cooler nights

We usually visit in late September, so still get that stifling hot and humid weather. We have also been going to Arizona in the summer the last few years.

I agree with @Chef Mickey in that a lot of folks do not realize how much water you need to drink! Bottles of water are expensive and they are pretty heavy to drag in your bag, so guests may be hesitant to keep buying a drink. However use those snack credits and free water drinks from counter service places to supplement your intake. Drink water and once and a while choose something with electrolytes to replenish. For adults we know when we are thirsty, but young children and the elderly do not always get enough fluids daily. I know some folks do not like to drink a lot because then they will have to go to the restroom frequently too.

I am pooh sized, but I play soccer and walk almost every day to (try) to keep in shape. Most importantly I know my own and my family's limitations. Mom needs a nap or rest every day and getting out of the mid day heat is a great time. We can't tour the parks from dawn to night.

A WDW trip is well planned out, but make sure you have some flexibility for a break or two in the ac during the day, especially if you are not used to the climate.
Agreed. The $3 water is probably a deterrent for some and they don't realize they've had too much Coke, not enough water.

I just looked at my last trip. I spent around $300 on bottled water between 2 people. That means we had around 100 bottles of water during a 10 day trip. That still wasn't enough, but it rained a couple times during the afternoon (felt great) and it doesn't include our drinks at eating time where we always had water along with the Coke.

$300 seems like a lot for water and it is, but we do it as a precaution to getting sick from the heat. Small price to pay if you feel good the whole time, which we did.

Princess Kaylee

Agreed. The $3 water is probably a deterrent for some and they don't realize they've had too much Coke, not enough water.

I just looked at my last trip. I spent around $300 on bottled water between 2 people. That means we had around 100 bottles of water during a 10 day trip. That still wasn't enough, but it rained a couple times during the afternoon (felt great) and it doesn't include our drinks at eating time where we always had water along with the Coke.

$300 seems like a lot for water and it is, but we do it as a precaution to getting sick from the heat. Small price to pay if you feel good the whole time, which we did.

Ice water is free in the parks...

danyoung56

Texas is 102 w/ 65% humidity routinely and 90 degrees at 2am. People act like Florida is the hottest place on earth...it's not even as bad as Houston or Dallas....

This is just so wrong. I've lived in Dallas for over 30 years, and have been visiting Florida at least twice a year for the last 20 years. And I can say with great authority that I'm far more bothered by the Florida heat and humidity than I am with Dallas's. Not to say that Dallas doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer. But the heat combined with the humidity in Florida is much harder to take.

correcaminos

I do know this and I sometimes take advantage of it. However, I feel a little awkward asking for 2 free waters as much as I drink. Plus, they don't taste that great. I know Disney makes money on water and I'm OK with that.

And Dasani tastes good? Blech! I'll take ice water any day over that.

Slightly teasing, slightly not at all. If I am wasteful with buying bottles, I'll get Zephyrhills and bring it with me.

Disney.Mike

Chef Mikey is about 99% right....

The only objection I would have would be in regard to our European/Canadian/Alaskan friends who live where it doesnt get above 75ish on a regular basis, so they are unable to get acclimated to the heat.

However, when it comes to the majority of Americans, he is 100% correct. The problem is almost always obesity and general laziness.

Chef Mickey

And Dasani tastes good? Blech! I'll take ice water any day over that.

Slightly teasing, slightly not at all. If I am wasteful with buying bottles, I'll get Zephyrhills and bring it with me.
Dasani is just purified tap water yes, but it doesn't taste like Florida water. I'll gladly pay $3 for a nice cold bottle when I'm thirsty. I just don't like asking for "free" water. Seems like bad manners to me, even though there is nothing wrong with it in general. I've done it several times.

Chef Mickey

This is just so wrong. I've lived in Dallas for over 30 years, and have been visiting Florida at least twice a year for the last 20 years. And I can say with great authority that I'm far more bothered by the Florida heat and humidity than I am with Dallas's. Not to say that Dallas doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer. But the heat combined with the humidity in Florida is much harder to take.
Dallas was 99 and 65% humidity like 2 days ago. Florida was 88 and 70% humidity the same day.

You're literally just used to Dallas because it's hotter there than Florida. Objectively and subjectively.

correcaminos

Dasani is just purified tap water yes, but it doesn't taste like Florida water. I'll gladly pay $3 for a nice cold bottle when I'm thirsty. I just don't like asking for "free" water. Seems like bad manners to me, even though there is nothing wrong with it in general. I've done it several times.
FL water is no different than our home water it seems. But being up in the midwest with no good waterways near by I am not surprised.

We've had no issues getting water and I don't feel bad for asking. If they carried some nice water I'd buy it, but with Dasani, it's not going to happen. I will sooner empty the bottle and refill it with a water fountain than to drink it.

Bluewaves

Biggest mistake people make in the heat, #1 they don't drink enough, #2 they don't eat. Your body is going to be stressed, you need fuel to make it run, eat breakfast, lunch dinner, have a snack in between, no sugary stuff, salty stuff and protein and lots of water.

bh_trade

Dallas is indeed "hotter" than Orlando in the summer, but with lower humidity levels, making the heat a bit more tolerable. My experience is that Orlando is nearly identical to Houston in the summer, although Orlando seems to have more frequent afternoon showers, which helps to cool things off a bit, but can also easily ruin a park day if they persist . . .

Chef Mickey

Don't tell me what I am and am not. In my experience, Florida is much more unbearable than Dallas.
LOL...don't get your too feathers ruffled there big guy. This is a friendly discussion. I just pointed out to you that it's objectively worse in Dallas on that day. Dallas and Houston are humid too, particularly Houston. To say Orlando is "much more" unbearable than Dallas is just laughable...it's probably because you're rarely outside in Dallas because WDW isn't there. You make it sound like Orlando is on a different planet. It doesn't even get over 100 there. Dallas was over 100 40 days in a row in 2011 and it's not 0% humidity. It's routinely 60% so the "feels like" is 115.

Currently...Dallas is 95, feels like 105.
Currently...Orlando is 88, feels like 94.

Anyway, you think Florida is hotter...good. Drink some water and you'll be fine.

mergatroid

Original Poster

I know exactly what you mean, almost feels cheap and cheeky asking. Perhaps we're so conditioned to paying for anything and everything in the parks that we come out of our 'comfort zone' when asking for anything 'free'. It almost feels like begging for charity at first, but after the second time I did it I learnt to live with it and do it now without a care in the world :cool:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's simple math, taking 2 water molecules to break down one sugar.

I routinely work outside for hours in West Texas at the ranch and at the house South of Atlanta so it's not a matter of acclimatization for me, but for someone who works inside or is from more northern latitudes it is. I've even lived in the open desert for a couple of years in the mideast without AC.

Drink water not sugary drinks or alcohol if you are not fully hydrated and acclimatized.

StarWarsGirl

When I was growing up, there were a couple of times I was on my way to being heat sick, but my mother would catch it and make me drink before I got bad.

Now as an adult, not only do we spend most days at the pool, but I have a formula: Powerade, water, repeat every two hours. I only have soda (diet) from my refillable mug, at mealtimes, and in the evening. It's way too hot for soda during the day.

Also, and yes, you are on vacation, but I firmly believe fried food in your stomach on a hot summer day is the worst. I usually only eat fries at night or if I'm by the pool. Usually, I find I'm better off with a flatbread, salad, or a sandwich with fruits/veggies. The same goes for sweets; I usually wait until evening for those.

I'm taking my Brita bottle in August to see if that helps with that awful Florida water taste. It worked well in DL with their water, but I don't think their water is as bad as Florida.

AndyS2992

Coming from the UK, walking outside in Orlando is like walking into the depths of Hell but can't say it's ever made me ill, yet. Have got burnt a few times though. But then again I get severe motion sickness and feel like I'm dying from dizziness half the time anyway :hungover: I paid good money for this trip and going to ride everything regardless :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom