Ever get ill because it's just so darn hot?

mergatroid

Original Poster
I've battled the blazing sun and terrible humidity many times in Orlando year after year, however last year was the first time I succumbed to it. Strangely it was last September so not Orlando at it's hottest and it hit me during a cloudy period after it had rained! After a day by the pool we ventured into the studios for an evening of fun with FP's booked. Raining when we arrived I was fine and just before planning on queuing for Fantasmic we went for an ice cream. Sitting down eating it I was suddenly overcome with dizziness to the point where I had to put my head on the table in order just not to pass out. I was burning up but strangely wasn't sweating anymore and started cramping up in my arms and legs. My wife was worried and wanted to get help but I assured her if I was just able to rest where I was with my head on the table that I'd soon be fine.

A couple nearby insisted I take their water to get some fluids in me and their son kindly got some ice from a nearby vendor and put it in a napkin and let my wife place this on my neck. I soon came around which was good as the last thing I wanted was a CM insisting medics were called and all the trouble that would have caused everyone, however I sat there for a good 40 minutes before being able to make the trip to our car and driving home that night. It actually took me about 2 days to completely recover with feelings of overheating and tiredness hitting me at random intervals during that time which wasn't fun especially during meal times when I'd start sweating for no real reason. Anyone else ever hit like this, I'd imagine it's fairly common especially this time of year?

Tick Tock

I've battled the blazing sun and terrible humidity many times in Orlando year after year, however last year was the first time I succumbed to it. Strangely it was last September so not Orlando at it's hottest and it hit me during a cloudy period after it had rained! After a day by the pool we ventured into the studios for an evening of fun with FP's booked. Raining when we arrived I was fine and just before planning on queuing for Fantasmic we went for an ice cream. Sitting down eating it I was suddenly overcome with dizziness to the point where I had to put my head on the table in order just not to pass out. I was burning up but strangely wasn't sweating anymore and started cramping up in my arms and legs. My wife was worried and wanted to get help but I assured her if I was just able to rest where I was with my head on the table that I'd soon be fine.

A couple nearby insisted I take their water to get some fluids in me and their son kindly got some ice from a nearby vendor and put it in a napkin and let my wife place this on my neck. I soon came around which was good as the last thing I wanted was a CM insisting medics were called and all the trouble that would have caused everyone, however I sat there for a good 40 minutes before being able to make the trip to our car and driving home that night. It actually took me about 2 days to completely recover with feelings of overheating and tiredness hitting me at random intervals during that time which wasn't fun especially during meal times when I'd start sweating for no real reason. Anyone else ever hit like this, I'd imagine it's fairly common especially this time of year?
The closest I've ever come to what you described was back in June of 2014 down in southwest Florida (approx 2-hours from Orlando). I had gone canoeing for a day down at a state park I really love. While paddling back to the dock & canoe rental station, one side of my face began to get very tingly (that feeling when your foot goes to sleep...but all over half of my face). Then the dizziness & mild sickness feeling set in. I couldn't just stop paddling, or I'd drift right back out to the middle of the lake. Luckily I made it back to the dock and immediately sat down in the shade with a cold drink. It took nearly an hour to feel back to normal.

DisneyPrincess5

Yup which is why I won't go from June-October anymore. I'll go in May but that's pushing it. I can't take the humidity and heat, mostly due to asthma, but also due to just being a human. It's just intolerable for me. Not even fun going. Can't tell you how many dizzy and nauseous spells I've had from the heat, and that's not even close to what many people sadly experience.

correcaminos

Not at Disney, but I have overheated to the point I blacked out. A few hours later I was feeling better but it was odd and I even wound up hyperventilating for a while because I got freaked out.

Don't let September fool you - it often can be worse than June. We go early June but before it goes crazy temp wise. We spend a lot of down time and drink a lot of water with our meals (no soft drinks) so we seem to be good.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I also got a little heat sick in September. We were in Epcot and had just entered World Showcase and stopped at a couple of the food booths (alcohol wasn't a factor) for Food and Wine and I suddenly felt sick to my stomach and dizzy. Hubby got me a bottle of water and I went into the one of the air conditioned shops and stood against the wall for awhile. After about 15 minutes I felt better. I thought about sitting on a bench but there weren't any around that were shady so I thought if I propped myself up against a wall in AC with hubby nearby that might be better. Once I was feeling better we went over to the Craft Beer area in the Odyssey and spent more time in the AC. I wanted one of the beer flights there but I thought I should probably avoid alcohol until I was feeling 100%. It was pretty scary since it came on so fast.

Ricky Spanish

Two years ago I got sick at WDW during our June trip.
Was drinking tons of water.
Got super dizzy and was vomiting.
Called my mother-in-law, who is an ER nurse.
She said that I flushed all my -iums out (sodium,potassium, magnesium, etc.)
Started drinking Gatorade.
It helped but the dizziness lasted about 10 days.

daisyduckie

Yes. I think I had a little heat stroke going on. It was May, and very hot out. We were doing a lot of walking around in the Magic Kingdom, and then went to lunch at the Liberty Tree. Where it was freezing cold. So cold that I dug a shirt out of my bag that I had purchased, and layered it over what I was already wearing. We finished lunch, and then it was back out to the heat. Within a few minutes I was feeling horrible. Made my way out of the park by stopping at every bathroom along the way. I sat on a bench by the bus stop while the rest of the family waited in line. When the bus pulled up I cut the line (it was tiny, it was the middle of the day) and I think someone was going to call me on it, but one look at me and they didn't say anything. I was doing all I could to not toss my cookies and I bet it showed!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hot humid sunny summer day, hours walking in it, not enough fluids AND replacing electrolytes and either drinking alcohol/eating big meal is a recipe for heat exhaustion/stroke.

zurgandfriend

On our Disney-moon my DW did not listen to my suggestions concerning hydration and head covering. Bottled water, a big straw hat and a visit to the Country Bears with lots of AC helped.

Lets Respect

Sounds like you were dehydrated?

In addition to drinking enough fluids, I find I have to force myself to take AC breaks and not just popping into a store. But going into an air-conditioned show for 20 minutes and really letting my body temperature come down. Even if it is at a time that I wouldn't normally go do something like that. It's not enough to just be popping in and out of rides and stores

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

I'll be honest...if you're in decent physical shape and drink enough water, there is absolutely no way a day at the parks should get you to the point of heat exhaustion, dehydration, or heat stroke. Essentially, you're walking around the parks and spending a lot of time in A/C.

The human body can take a lot of abuse when it's properly fueled. You 100% didn't drink enough.

Orlando is really not that hot in comparison to many climates in the US. Yes, it's humid, but you're not running a marathon.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I'll be honest...if you're in decent physical shape and drink enough water, there is absolutely no way a day at the parks should get you to the point of heat exhaustion, dehydration, or heat stroke. Essentially, you're walking around the parks and spending a lot of time in A/C.

The human body can take a lot of abuse when it's properly fueled. You 100% didn't drink enough.

Orlando is really not that hot in comparison to many climates in the US. Yes, it's humid, but you're not running a marathon.

I look in great shape size wise, very slim & I can eat anything and stay that way (my wife absolutely hates me for it :)). However I suffer from Dystonia which affects both my arms and my legs. Now being as stubborn as a mule, I refuse to use a wheelchair and walk everywhere instead. The only exception to this is in airports where time is of the essence changing terminals etc, but I digress. So when I'm walking around the parks in the heat it physically takes a lot out of me and I lose a lot of liquid through the horrible act of sweating. Knowing this I deliberately drink more water, but it's a battle at times to refill myself and I'm constantly soaked especially if my leg is bad that day.

Sans Souci

I did on my last trip in May. I'd been playing mini golf and I just started feeling unwell. I think it was because I started taking medication that makes me dizzy from time to time. I think that combined with being in the blazing afternoon sun without any cover that did me in. I got goose bumps and tunnel vision. I've always gone in August prior to this trip and never had an issue.

I am someone who exercises 5-6 days a week and I am a very active person. For me, personally, it's the sun, not the humidity. If you spend 51 weeks in a northern latitude and travel to a southern one, the sun is going to feel much more intense.

drizgirl

You have no idea of knowing what anyone can tolerate. Some have issues with heat, others don't.

JIMINYCR

I can tolerate the heat better than DW. She has a terrible issue with the heat and humidity. She heads for the shady spots or the air conditioned shops when it gets to her or when she reaches her limit, she will head back to the resort for a break and meet up with me later after shes rested and recovered. A while ago we invested in cooling vests and towels that we utilize that have helped immensely. We also try avoiding trips during the most brutal months. We hydrate constantly and have avoided reaching the critical line of illness or heat exhaustion. I have seen guest or two that have gotten woozy and went down in a long unsheltered line.

Chef Mickey

You have no idea of knowing what anyone can tolerate. Some have issues with heat, others don't.
Contrary to what people like to believe (*yay, we are all different*), humans function in largely the same way...so actually, I do.

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition and/or are extremely overweight, this should not be tough for you. Remember, our species used to live and work outside 24/7/365.

drizgirl

Contrary to what people like to believe (*yay, we are all different*), humans function in largely the same way...so actually, I do.

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition and/or are extremely overweight, this should not be tough for you. Remember, our species used to live and work outside 24/7/365.
Even when people lived and worked outside, and even before the obesity epidemic, different people tolerated it better than others.

Chef Mickey

Even when people lived and worked outside, and even before the obesity epidemic, different people tolerated it better than others.
Maybe, but they definitely weren't simply walking around a theme park in and out of A/C with unlimited food/drink at their disposals. Look around. This issue is almost entirely due to people carrying 100lbs+ too much and never raising their heart rate above their usual couch sitting oreo eating baseline. No offense to OP who I think just didn't get enough water.

The equalizer is water. Even a highly tuned athlete could be debilitated without enough water. With enough fluids, no one should have a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom