ET Rehab

woofboy111

Original Poster
I just read on http://www.screamscape.com that ET will be getting a new preshow for the movies 20th anniversary (goood thing too! The one they have now is just plain bad!). Has anyone heard when this will be installed? Probably before the movie is re-released in theatres, so does anyone know when that date is?

Tom Morrow

Originally posted by woofboy111
I just read on http://www.screamscape.com that ET will be getting a new preshow for the movies 20th anniversary (goood thing too! The one they have now is just plain bad!). Has anyone heard when this will be installed? Probably before the movie is re-released in theatres, so does anyone know when that date is?

Thats cool. The one thing that made ET feel outdated was the pre-show! You could easily tell that they hadn't changed anything since the park opened.

tenchu

The best part of ET is making us silly names to get ET to say. Last time i was 'rudiger' and my uncle tried 'bodiger' which they didn't have so he went as 'bodo'!

woofboy111

Original Poster
If E.T. does say any names, i've noticed that it's normally late at night before the park closes when the ride has no line, and he'll also only say the names of the people in the front row...which are normally wrong!

Luau Cove

Re: Re: ET Rehab

Originally posted by Tom Morrow

Thats cool. The one thing that made ET feel outdated was the pre-show! You could easily tell that they hadn't changed anything since the park opened.

Spielberg with long hair? Woah. :lol: Yes, it's about time they change that, but I really like the line fachade that looks like the ET woods, it's trully amazing and greatly designed. The smell is also realistic and the ride is awesome...it beats many of Disney's, though it's hard for me to admit.
-->LUAU

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

Woofboy,

Yeah I remember reading about the new pre show stuff in a trade paper..not too long ago...ok...found it

From the PR Newswire:

Universal City, Calif. — Beginning March, 2002, Universal Studios' theme parks in Hollywood, Orlando and Japan unveil exclusive video footage of Steven Spielberg introducing a new generation of fans to its endearing attraction, The E.T. Adventure, E.T.'s home away from home, as part of the 20th anniversary celebration of Universal Pictures' and Amblin Entertainment's timeless classic film, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.

The enhanced ride attraction will also include all-new footage of the making of the film, featuring cast members Drew Barrymore, Henry Thomas and Dee Wallace Stone, along with insight from Director Steven Spielberg on how he brought his vision to life. Guests will also be treated to a unique video presentation by Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) scientist Frank Drake, who offers commentary on the film from a scientific perspective, and who demonstrates a sampling of radio frequencies picked up by radio telescopes searching for extra-terrestrial life.

###

Rumor has it they will do the same for BTTF....just BTTF is not going to be re-released on the big screen...but they should update the ride stuff....like pre-show...but I dont think there will be major changes.

Luau Cove

Does anyone know how the NAME mechanism function?

The technology is quite old now, but I really don't know how they do it. Does this data-base has so many names in it or they can type new names if the name isn't common?

-->LUAU

The_CEO

OK Luau....

After preshow you telll CM your name.... They type it in a PRETTY BIG database... They scan your VERY cheap "ID" card through the scanner.... Hopefully the card has it on it... It has happened were the card is so scratched etc, that it doesnt even get it..... But if it does......

You walk through the queue....

Boarding... You hand your ID card to a CM it is then scanned.. The ID cards our all scanned for that vehicle.. Once the ride starts... The names that have been scanned off the ID cards.. are now in the ride computer.... The computers line up the names (well... are suppost to) . It reads the names as the vehicle passes a certain sensor on the track...

Thats how its done....

Heres an example..

1=your vehicle.. 2=other 3= other 4 = other..

~Justin

Luau Cove

I knew all about that since I went to the attraction many many times. I just wanted to know if the data base is huge enough for recent names or if they give a unusual name they type it and create it. Another enigma I had is how is it that your name came out exactly when your car comes near ET.
-->LUAU

The_CEO

I belive its all a database... Because when the CM types in the name it slowly narrows the possibiltys of the name down.. The CM then chooses the name...

Then the 2nd question... I belive its just sensors on the track.. When the vehicle passes the sensor and matches up the vehcile with the ride computer... It then knows to start reciting the names that were scanned at the loading platform....

~ Justin

Al

If E.T. does say any names, i've noticed that it's normally late at night before the park closes when the ride has no line, and he'll also only say the names of the people in the front row...which are normally wrong!

yeah, i think thats right, also when the ride first opens in the morning.:)

woofboy111

Original Poster
Yesterday I went to Universal and rode E.T. According to the cast member, the new preshow won't start showing until sometime next week. Some minor things were updated on the ride itself already though. Now, the ride is much darker with much more fog being pumped in during the whole ride. E.T. still says your name (or at least trys to sometimes). Also, some of the animatronics were fixed. I didn't think the ones that they had on that ride were capable of moving that much...I guess they've just been broken for years!

blm07

They do need to update the whole ride cuase alot of the mouths of the figures barley move (or look really cheap) the Last ET that says the names also needs a newer computer or something cuase that thing never works. But on the other hand, ET is one of my favorite rides in Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom