Estimated Time to Complete Animal Kingdom

The Mom

Premium Member
I remember stopping with my son in front of the Giant Anteater/Two-toed sloth enclosure (my son loves sloths). It took us a few minutes to locate them, but then we watched them for about 5 minutes.

Some people passing behind us paused quickly, looked, and remarked, "Oh, there's nothing there." We consider AK a full day park - the folks who passed us do not.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I remember stopping with my son in front of the Giant Anteater/Two-toed sloth enclosure (my son loves sloths). It took us a few minutes to locate them, but then we watched them for about 5 minutes.

Some people passing behind us paused quickly, looked, and remarked, "Oh, there's nothing there." We consider AK a full day park - the folks who passed us do not.
I could watch the Gorillas or any of the monkeys all day! I always like to go on the trail close to closing it and the Gorillas are waiting to go in for the night so they are all right there. The last 2 years in a row there was new baby gorillas that were playing and my DH had to force me to go after standing and watching forever. Haha. Love exploring all the animal areas etc and taking our time. :)

Animaniac93-98

We consider AK a full day park - the folks who passed us do not.

I suspect the people who passed you are the reason Disney finally decided to add more rides and a night time show to the park.

Disney intended the park to be about exploration and sight seeing. Most tourists never got that.

I would also say that if I was touring with seniors or young children the park wouldn't be a full day experience simply because rides like Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl and (to a lesser extent) Kali River Rapids would not be so appealing. It's like DHS in that sense.

TXDisney

I'd say a full day. We don't do 3/4 of the stuff bc it's not high on our list of things to do, so it's a 1/2 day park for us. When Avatarland land opens it will be a full day park for us.

sxeensweet

I suspect the people who passed you are the reason Disney finally decided to add more rides and a night time show to the park.

Disney intended the park to be about exploration and sight seeing. Most tourists never got that.

I would also say that if I was touring with seniors or young children the park wouldn't be a full day experience simply because rides like Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl and (to a lesser extent) Kali River Rapids would not be so appealing. It's like DHS in that sense.
We don't ride any of those except my DH rides EE every time (we have ridden all of the ones you mentioned before but don't every time) , and we still spend a whole day with plenty to do in AK. We ride the Safari, explore the trails, stop and watch some of the animals, see a few shows, eat, shop, go to Rafikis planet watch etc etc and just those things can take up even more than one day for us. And it's only me and DH with no kids or others with us to slow us down. :)

Florida_is_hot

Everybody has there own idea on what is good and what is not good.
Animal Kingdom I done it all but except for a few attractions for me it is a waste of time. For me it is Noon park, if you like second rate Broadway type shows, carny rides, boring stuff the animals, Bugs Life.... you can stay longer. I rather be in the Magic Kingdom.
The fact you skip practically everything and are done by noon is simply your choice. It has no basis for proving AK is an "until noon" park.

If I went to MK and rode Splash, Space and Thunder and said I'm done because I only want thrills, MK isn't a 1 hr park at that point.

Chef Mickey

Animal Kingdom I done it all but except for a few attractions for me it is a waste of time. For me it is Noon park, if you like second rate Broadway type shows, carny rides, boring stuff the animals, Bugs Life.... you can stay longer. I rather be in the Magic Kingdom.
Second rate Broadway? It may not be Broadway, but what do you want included in your admission, seriously? They literally do a Festival of the Lion King every hour and several Nemo shows PER day and you somehow can insult them? There is real talent there and yes, I've seen plenty of overrated Broadway shows in NYC at a price more than a 5 day Park Hopper. Give me break.

There is one failed "carnival" section, but Dinosaur is a solid ride and calling the animals boring just proves my point. It may not all be for you and that's your prerogative, but there is plenty to do that makes it a lot more than a "noon park."

Objectively, skipping the "animal stuff" kind of misses the point of the park and makes your opinion somewhat irrelevant.

sxeensweet

Second rate Broadway? It makes now me Broadway, but what do you want, seriously? They literally do a festival of the Lion King every hour and several Nemo shows PER day and you somehow can insult them? There is real talent there and yes, I've seen plenty of overrated Broadway shows in NYC. Give mea break.

There is one failed "carnival" section, but Dinosaur is a solid ride and calling the animals boring just proves my point. It may not all be for you and that's your prerogative, but there is plenty to do that makes it a lot more than a "noon park."

Objectively, skipping the "animal stuff" kind of misses the point of the park and makes your opinion somewhat irrelevant.
You hit the nail on the head with this one!! Yeah when I saw the 2nd rate Broadway and carnival comments i was like seriously?!?! Someone may not enjoy Animal Kingdom, key word "animal" , and that's fine but to say the stuff they did is so far off. :banghead::rolleyes:

DisneyJunkie

I can agree and disagree with this. I wouldn't call AK a waste of time at all.......but would refer to it as a "noon park" just because everything about it that I enjoy I can typically see and do from opening until noon and then I'm ready to leave. I have to agree with the dislike of the "carny rides" in Dino-Rama (the entire section doesn't belong), but the animal watching is NOT boring, and Bugs Life is one of the best attractions in the park. I like the fact that it's a "half day park" because I enjoy park-hopping, so I can either do another park for the other half of the day, or another two parks. But AK has definitely improved, to me, in that I could go there every day now instead of maybe once a trip and not have to go back again.

righttrack

Here's our day:

FP+ for Safari, Dinosaur, Kali (though not necessary)
Rope drop, run to Everest. You can ride this two times on EMH days or once on normal days without any wait whatsoever.
Kali River Rapids
Safari FP+
Shop/enjoy Africa while it's not too hot
Take in Festival of Lion King
Go to Dinosaur FP+
Take in Nemo

We've done the above without any FP+ and saved them for afternoon in another park

Mawg

You can easily spend a whole day there. But honestly, I'm usually done by 5 pm and occasionally repeat a ride in that time. If you have park hopper this is a great time to hop to another park for nighttime fireworks and dinner, staying until close makes it a little tight. I personally like to break AK up into two half days starting at rope drop until 2 or 3 pm and then enjoying another park in the evening.

I'll stop leaving early when they add nighttime entertainment or maybe hop over in the afternoon but they also need a few more nice dinner dinning options.

Florida_is_hot

Watching animals is not unique every major city in North America has a zoo. Remember "it is not azoo", took a behind the scenes once and the first thing the tour guide said is the Animal Kingdom is a Zoo.

Tom P.

Watching animals is not unique every major city in North America has a zoo. Remember "it is not azoo", took a behind the scenes once and the first thing the tour guide said is the Animal Kingdom is a Zoo.
What's your point? There are tons of things at Disney World that can also be found in any major city in North America. Doesn't mean they aren't still fun or part of the experience. There are also a ton of things unique to Disney, including at Animal Kingdom. Doubt you're going to find something equivalent to Kilimanjaro Safaris at your local zoo. Pretty sure you won't find anything equivalent to Expedition Everest either.

Some parts of Disney are unique, some parts are things that could also be found elsewhere but are wrapped up into the Disney package with the unique experiences. All combined together are what make the parks they experience they are.

UpAllNight

If you go and see everything you can fill a whole day easily.

The very best parks are the ones where you have options of what to go on, and instantly want to return because you haven't managed to fit it all in. I've said before, but it was a great 1 day park, but we had a 14 day Disney pass and didn't feel there was enough reason to justify a return visit ahead of some of the other Orlando Parks.

thomas998

I'm just curious about how many hours would it take to complete most of Animal Kingdom? My guess is 6 hours? Thanks!
depends on what you like... we don't bother going anymore because if we went it might take us 2.5 hours and that's not worth the wasted time getting there because AK is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Some people enjoy the shows there... my family thinks they suck but that's just a matter of preference. I don't enjoy shows with cheesey puppets but for little kids maybe they would like them... Honestly I would think the show at AK are the weakest in all the parks. If you are at WDW for a long vacation and have done everything else, MK, Studios, EPCOT the water parks DTD.. Disney Quest, Seaworld, Universal, the Medieval dinner and can't find anything to watch on TV in your hotel room and your only other option is cutting your toenails...then go to AK... (PS if you didn't notice I'm not a big supporter of AK).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom