EPCOT Resorts Cancelled Monorail Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Here's a rumor that won't die, so I'm beginning to believe it. You've probably heard the rumor that originally the monorail was to have been expanded with a loop running through the swan and/or dolphin. This rumor had been shot down every time it came up. Well, in my ongoing research into planned monorail expansions, I see that maybe there may be some truth to that rumor. According to the site I'm linking here, at least this was the plan, but that plan changed before these resorts' designs were finalized. That's more believable. You make your own mind up. Here's the link...

http://www.mindspring.com/~bobquincy/wdw/monorail/monorail.html

PeterAlt

Original Poster
There might be truth to what? Monorail service to the resorts or through the Swan and Dolphin?
Either would be breakthroughs in my research. The only tangible thing I have for the west side is that map showing the MGM loop from the '90s.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
It's a rumor. That's all.;)
Indeed it is! Which is why I'm researching it. For historical reasons, we should know if there ever was a plan, cancelled or otherwise. Especially if future expansion of the system were ever considered into any blue-prints or designed - built, revised, or replaced and cancelled. For example, the EPCOT blue-prints clearly show accommodations for the eastern extension.

SirLink

Not remotely true. The monorail masterplan for Epcot to Studios put the beam in a space between Yacht Club and Swan/Dolphin, not directly through it. The black squares are simply a design feature from Michael Graves.

Indeed...

Thanks Martin

Disney_MGM_Monorail_spur_1986.jpg

bethymouse

Indeed it is! Which is why I'm researching it. For historical reasons, we should know if there ever was a plan, cancelled or otherwise. Especially if future expansion of the system were ever considered into any blue-prints or designed - built, revised, or replaced and cancelled. For example, the EPCOT blue-prints clearly show accommodations for the eastern extension.
From your mouth to God's ears!:D I hope I live to see this expansion!:D

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Not remotely true. The monorail masterplan for Epcot to Studios put the beam in a space between Yacht Club and Swan/Dolphin, not directly through it. The black squares are simply a design feature from Michael Graves.
Thank you for that bit of knowledge. Now, I have a starting point for my research for the western ext.

PhilharMagician

@marni1971 posted a drawing of the proposed Monorail lines to the Studios and to DTD a few years back. You can do a search for it here or maybe he can repost it for you viewing pleasure.

It showed the monorail leaving Epcot station and going in front of the Yacht and Beach resort entrances and hanging a left before the Swan and Dolphin, crossing the lake just East of the walking bridge and following along side the walkway on the Boardwalk side of the waterway to the Studios and not going between the Swan and Dolphin. There may be other proposed routes out there?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I'm like that kid that always likes to be told the same bedtime story over and over again...

"A long time ago, the Walt Disney Co. planned to extend the Walt Disney World monorail system, but due to difficult economics and a national recession, those plans were shelved in favor of more buses..."

jt04

Indeed...

Thanks Martin

Instead of all that, perhaps they should consider a stand alone system that just goes out and back. Similar to the system at Orlando Airport. Likely could be done for half the price.

SirLink

Instead of all that, perhaps they should consider a stand alone system that just goes out and back. Similar to the system at Orlando Airport. Likely could be done for half the price.

Which will most likely cost just as much remember this was an extension to the current Epcot line ... which you have probably never seen ... so your talking about creating exponentially more expense than extending the current line... it is not like the current Disney company would want to do something other than "buy more buses" plan

PeterAlt

Original Poster
In my research so far, I've identified three ways costs of an extension could be lowered.

1. Use of existing components and infrastructure, such as the buried footers. I've confirmed only one exists east of Future World.

2. Combining future extensions with larger future developments that overlap territory. For example, to the east of EPCOT, as well as NW (west of Living Seas and north of the EPCOT resorts), and directly south and center World Showcase are vacant land zoned for future development. Structures for these developments can be designed to support a monorail line running through them (ala Contemporary) and lowering overall costs.

3. Place the order whenever the LV monorail (which is based on the same specifications) places its order for the planned extension of that system (to the LV Airport). Placing the order for the parts with Bombardiar together in a single production run will lower the costs for both systems' extensions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom