Epcot Money Grab

stalkingmickey

So for everyone posting picture of brochures from the 1980's...come on you had to go back more than 20 years to say this park was open until 11pm. It has not been for at least 10 YEARS now so I hardly believe they shortened the hours over a decade ago in anticipation of charging people in the year 2014.

Reality check people, many things have changed since the 1980's ...Park hours....Ticket prices....characters who no longer roam the parks...EMH.....FP.....so unless some of you agree with what they are doing then us people who will enjoy this are crazy people who want to throw their money at Disney because we do not want to leave the bubble.

We leave the bubble everyday for either breakfast or dinner and are well aware of what the area has to offer.

As for Disney only being for children...Get off your high horse parents who believe so. Walt always wanted a place for everyone to go and enjoy the magic. Many things Disiney has to offer beside spending day in parks are for adults ony (swimming in the living seas tank, segway tours at FW used to be at Epcot, Keys to the kingdom tour and most of their other tours.) these items are offered to give us adult guest experiences that are just as magical as when a little girl meets her favorite princess for the first time.

How about if you do not like the alcohol being served at all the parks except MK then stay in the MK you wont see any drunks there.

This thread is a perfect example of Disney is dammed of they do and dammed if they don't. For everyone who booked this I hope you have a great time unwinding and I will be looking forward to my Sept reservations to see for myself and then I will form my opinion.

DONE WITH THIS THREAD SEE YA EPCOT AFTER HOURS WINDING DOWN WITH MY HUSBAND

NMBC1993

I've been meaning to put this out there for a while now but have never found the right post to do it. If Epcot were really interested in making money while at the same time expanding their ideals on cultural togetherness, they should invest in doing more events throughout the year (Not like we need anymore at Epcot, I know). There's already Oktoberfest in Germany every year, why not add to that? I'd kill for an annual festival in the Japan pavilion with food and game booths based around the actual ones in Japan. For example they could do a goldfish scooping booth with actual Poi (a round plastic frame with a hand grip, and paper on the frame) and many of the other traditional games found at a festival. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but does the Mexico pavilion celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Why not drag out that F&W/F&G booth and have a one day celebration offering food and drink options with other activities. These are just a few examples of what I mean by bringing in these events from around the world to our own World Showcase, why not make it fun for those Cast Members who come from those other countries and are here working during their holidays. If they can make it realistic enough it'll get everyone into the spirit of celebrating which would in turn bring more joy to the guests. Finally, if Epcot were to offer these mini-celebrations maybe...just maybe it'll get guests interested in learning about other cultures and expand their horizons...(Yes I know, I can dream can't I?;))

Last edited:

Communicore

I've been meaning to put this out there for a while now but have never found the right post to do it. If Epcot were really interested in making money while at the same time expanding their ideals on cultural togetherness, they should invest in doing more events throughout the year (Not like we need anymore at Epcot, I know). There's already Oktoberfest in Germany every year, why not add to that? I'd kill for an annual festival in the Japan pavilion with food and game booths based around the actual ones in Japan. For example they could do a goldfish scooping booth with actual Poi (a round plastic frame with a hand grip, and paper on the frame) and many of the other traditional games found at a festival. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but does the Mexico pavilion celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Why not drag out that F&W/F&G booth and have a one day celebration offering food and drink options with other activities. These are just a few examples of what I mean by bringing in these events from around the world to our own World Showcase, why not make it fun for those Cast Members who come from those other countries and are here working during their holidays. If they can make it realistic enough it'll get everyone into the spirit of celebrating which would in turn bring more joy to the guests. Finally, if Epcot were to offer these mini-celebrations maybe...just maybe it'll get guests interested in learning about other cultures and expand their horizons...(Yes I know, I can dream can't I?;))
Acc. to Disney this money grab is an educational experience in itself.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
So for everyone posting picture of brochures from the 1980's...come on you had to go back more than 20 years to say this park was open until 11pm. It has not been for at least 10 YEARS now so I hardly believe they shortened the hours over a decade ago in anticipation of charging people in the year 2014.

Reality check people, many things have changed since the 1980's ...Park hours....Ticket prices....characters who no longer roam the parks...EMH.....FP.....so unless some of you agree with what they are doing then us people who will enjoy this are crazy people who want to throw their money at Disney because we do not want to leave the bubble.

We leave the bubble everyday for either breakfast or dinner and are well aware of what the area has to offer.

As for Disney only being for children...Get off your high horse parents who believe so. Walt always wanted a place for everyone to go and enjoy the magic. Many things Disiney has to offer beside spending day in parks are for adults ony (swimming in the living seas tank, segway tours at FW used to be at Epcot, Keys to the kingdom tour and most of their other tours.) these items are offered to give us adult guest experiences that are just as magical as when a little girl meets her favorite princess for the first time.

How about if you do not like the alcohol being served at all the parks except MK then stay in the MK you wont see any drunks there.

This thread is a perfect example of Disney is dammed of they do and dammed if they don't. For everyone who booked this I hope you have a great time unwinding and I will be looking forward to my Sept reservations to see for myself and then I will form my opinion.

We all like Disneyworld, its why we go on here, but we also expect more from it, especially when the history is there to prove they can provide more.

BigTxEars

It's like that Seinfeld epsisode where Karmer and Jerry are convinced that mom and pop set up their shoe repair store 40 years earlier to build trust so they could then steal Jerry's shoes :)

I agree WDW can't win with some folks. Some folks are acting as if this is something so revolutionary in it's concept that it must be a scam of some type to to get money from all of us "just don't know better" guest. I have yet to have anyone explain how this is different in concept from a breakfast ADR at WS.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Strange words.

bhg469

It's not a money grab if the people who attend are willing to pay and find value in it. I know it's cool to yell greed at the first announcement of something new, but this actually sounds better than one of the "dessert parties" that are offered.
While I agree with you for the most part, what's wrong with extended hours for the general public? Epcot is a great place to end the night and I would wrap up my trip there every time if I could.

bhg469

Here's what gets me angry and no one is talking about it. The park stayed open until 10-11 just last year. This year they are closing it at 9 then saying you can stay until 11 (like last year) but if u do u must spend at least $35 in one of four restaurants AND we are not going to keep any attractions open.

So basically they took those extra hours away and are selling them back to you while saving costs from staffing attractions. That to me is a money grab.

If this were added on to the closing hours of 10 or 11 pm, truly making it after hours, then I would think its a great option.
I never noticed this thread until now but this sums up my thoughts perfectly! World showcase should be open a lot later based on the fact it has some of the best dining options on property. There is no reason it shouldn't.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
While I agree with you for the most part, what's wrong with extended hours for the general public? Epcot is a great place to end the night and I would wrap up my trip there every time if I could.
My guess is that ticket prices are based on a model that has the parks closing at a given time. If they were to open this up for everyone then you have to increase staff, overhead etc so they open it up to a limited number of additional ticketed patrons.

bhg469

My guess is that ticket prices are based on a model that has the parks closing at a given time. If they were to open this up for everyone then you have to increase staff, overhead etc so they open it up to a limited number of additional ticketed patrons.
While true, world showcase, to me is something that will just make money, maybe the problem is the profit margin isn't high enough.

BoarderPhreak

Good point. That's ( 2 * hourly salary ) * number of employees to pay...

WDW Monorail

You are already paying almost $100 to get into EPCOT. The $35 is an add on to that. Little different, don't you think?

I happen to think a single day at a park is worth way more than the fare of ~$100.

$35 for cover at D'Jais?! Thanks for reminding me why I don't set foot in that place except for an occasional Locals Monday.

It was during MDW 3 years ago. That was the last time I was at the shore for MDW.

That better have been one hell of a dj! Look I dont begrudge a cover to a great party, but this is not gonna be a great party...I could be wrong but think about...kids are allowed in if mom and dad want sooo

Tiesto played that night at Pacha. I've paid both less and more to see him play elsewhere.

I fail to see how anyone could be against an add-on to a day in the park. This is a wonderful opportunity for people to spend more time and money at the specified locations. A good percentage of people will order at least an additional drink. We'll have to see after a few months if the return is enough to cover the increased operating hours of the restaurants, salaries of not just restaurant staff, but also other cast around WS and security which would normally not stay as late after park closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom