Epcot Money Grab

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
It's not a money grab if the people who attend are willing to pay and find value in it. I know it's cool to yell greed at the first announcement of something new, but this actually sounds better than one of the "dessert parties" that are offered.
Love the AVATAR, I remember that film fondly, but watched the other night...oh brother what was I thinking!) Anyway, just because people will pay for something does not mean it's not a money grab.

cw1982

Yeah, I won't be doing this, but primarily because we will get to experience WS during evening EMH during the Friday night of our trip anyway, so no point in shelling out the extra money IMO. I can't eat and drink at the same time without getting sick (weird, I know), and I can't handle more than one or two drinks tops over the course of an entire evening, so for me this would be a huge waste of money. I can see where some may find value in it, though (ableit maybe not in a financial sense), particularly if they are not staying onsite and can't do EMH.

mergatroid

Love the AVATAR, I remember that film fondly, but watched the other night...oh brother what was I thinking!) Anyway, just because people will pay for something does not mean it's not a money grab.

What is a 'money grab' though? I'd imagine you could say the price of food and drink is, the parking fees are, ticket prices are and park hopper prices are etc? It's a business and that's ultimately what they try to do, make more money. The reason I have no problem with this 'money grab' or 'busness opportunity' is because I don't see the average guest losing anything from it. If people want to pay to drink a little longer in the park then they can pay to do so, those who don't want to don't suffer. Now if they were closing the park earlier and making everyone wanting to stay pay more, then I'd have a problem with it. As it is, it just means the drinkers and those wanting a quiet park and photo opps can pay if they want to for a bit of extra time, rather like backstage tours etc. They take nothing away from everyone else but offer extra to those who feel like paying, it's a good business strategy really.

Last edited:

cw1982

What is a 'money grab' though? I'd imagine you could say the price of food and drink is, the parking fees are, ticket prices are and park hopper prices are etc? It's a business and that's ultimately what they try to do, make more money. The reason I have no problem with this 'money grab' or 'busness opportunity' is because I don't see the average guest losing anything from it. If people want to pay to drink a little longer in the park then they can pay to do so, those who don't want to don't suffer. Now if they were closing the park earlier and making everyone wanting to stay pay more, then I'd have a problem with it. As it is, it just means the drinkers and those wanting a quiet park and photo opps can pay if they want to for a bit of extra time, rather like backstage tours etc. They take nothing away from everyone else but offer extra to those who feel like paying, it's a good business stratey really.

I don't disagree with you at all; I think the idea of it being a "money grab" has more to do with it being a tad overpriced (which it is, IMO... but like I said a minute ago, it wouldn't work for me anyway for the reasons I've already laid out). If people choose to splurge on that, then good for them; it was certainly their choice, much in the same way that I may choose to use that money on something else instead, like on souvenirs or on drinks over the course of two days instead of just that one evening. It's one more way for me to choose to spend that money, and it's one more way for Disney to get that money lol.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Could they charge extra for the Mad T Party on the other coast, sure but they do not. Its quick bucks, and unlike say the dessert parties, its an exclusionary practice. That said, thinking more about it, they probably really want to limit where people are after hours, meaning be in the bar your band says or get out.

mergatroid

I don't disagree with you at all; I think the idea of it being a "money grab" has more to do with it being a tad overpriced (which it is, IMO... but like I said a minute ago, it wouldn't work for me anyway for the reasons I've already laid out). If people choose to splurge on that, then good for them; it was certainly their choice, much in the same way that I may choose to use that money on something else instead, like on souvenirs or on drinks over the course of two days instead of just that one evening. It's one more way for me to choose to spend that money, and it's one more way for Disney to get that money lol.

I would agree with that and one reason why we wouldn't bother with it to be fair. Mind you for those who can take their drink, I'd imagine you could possibly put a bit away in that hour if I'm right in assuming the price includes your drinks too? :hungover:

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I personally love the idea. It remains to be seen if it's worth the price of admission, but in theory- DH and I love this and have wanted something like this for years. I'm hoping they extend this because we both would love the opportunity to try this at Rose & Crown.

BigTxEars

I personally love the idea. It remains to be seen if it's worth the price of admission, but in theory- DH and I love this and have wanted something like this for years. I'm hoping they extend this because we both would love the opportunity to try this at Rose & Crown.

I was trying to decide if we do it where to do it, the R&C is a finalist :) Not sure if or where yet.

Avenger117

Yeah its a money grab, But it would be neat to spend more time in a less crowded World Showcase. I want to say that I wouldn't pay it because its a lot of money for a drink and a snack, but I love this park of the park so I would probably do it at least once.

HouCuseChickie

I was trying to decide if we do it where to do it, the R&C is a finalist :) Not sure if or where yet.

Definitely post your experiences/opinions if you do wind up doing it. I'm sure they'll extend this indefinitely (or offer it again in future summers) if it's successful. Still, it's nice to hear firsthand opinions.

BigTxEars

Definitely post your experiences/opinions if you do wind up doing it. I'm sure they'll extend this indefinitely (or offer it again in future summers) if it's successful. Still, it's nice to hear firsthand opinions.

I am thinking of booking just me and the wife, leaving the kids at the BW (well my daughter is going on 17 so not really kids) while we are there. A nice surprise for her I think :) We can walk to Epcot, drink it up and then stumble back to the BW :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom