Epcot... Futureworld... What it meant to me.

Penny R. Kaid

Original Poster
I recently went to WDW for the first time in 17 years... The last time I went everything was pretty much the same as it always had been, inthe 10 or so times i'd been there since I was born (1979)... From looking at the maps online, beforehand, there weren't any surprises and I wasn't shocked to see my favorites gone. That last fact didn't even lessen the experience for me since there were new things to try out, and I experienced the park for the first time as a parent, not a kid... This being said here is one thing that bothered me... And here is my best try to express it in my second language(i'm French)... Epcot... Futureworld... It seemed to me it lacked cohesiveness. As a kid, i understood the importance of communications, locomotion, energy, environmental issues and imagination for us making leaps in technology... They achieved this by presenting it to me in a simple, smart and immersive way. All these themes were guided and united by the same simple principle: With progress and a little inspiration, there aren't any limits to what we can achieve in the future... It's an optimists view on life and where we are heading. So from my point of view, Epcot was the most fun teaching tool out there. Some would say it lacked the thrills or it was getting old or outdated... But part of the fun was seing what we had already achieved and what remained to be seen... I just wonder what my kids will take in from the experience. Is there really something to learn from soarin' in the sky or becoming a crash test dummy... I also find it ironic that they managed to uninspire us with their current revamp of the imagination pavillion... "With progress and a little inspiration, there aren't any limits to what we can achieve in the future"... They should keep this in mind during the next overhaul and go back to the basics of what Epcot represented at the core.

Also,in my opinion, Horizons was the embodiement of everything I mentionned before. So, in a sense, it should have been the last to go... But I'm just nostalgic for my old animatronics and orange smells, I guess!

Zman-ks

Couldn't agree more. Future World is a disgrace these days... I miss the old EPCOT Center!
75.gif

me too.... :(

Wilt Dasney

I never experienced the old Future World, but from what I know about it, I think I get a taste of its old humanist inspirational thrill by standing out along one of the main walkways, taking in the soaring music and admiring the kinetic energy of the fountains. It's unfortunate that most of the attractions don't maintain that heady feeling.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I didn't like nor understand Futureworld. Or, really, any part of Epcot and it pains me to say that. I found Futureworld confusing and the layout disorienting, and the WS seemed more like a marketplace than a showcase.

I guess I was expecting more history, or something... and didn't get what I was looking for. Expectations set too high?

I won't be back to Epcot for a long time.

disney4life2008

Most traumatizing for me is Innoventions. I am not sure what is going on in this attraction - is it even still called an attraction? Back in the day - I could spend hours in Innoventions looking at the toilet that "cleans yourself" the smart house, and futuristic technology. Now all of that stuff has happened and innoventions seems to be nothing more than a museum for little kids. I avoid innoventions its a waste of my time now.

Future World itself I still enjoy. Epcot has a different feeling to it than does other parks so its nice to stroll and take it easy.

World Showcase I love. However, I agree it has become like a marketplace. I remember when WS was exclusive. It really was like travleing all over the world in a day and sampling delicious foods and shopping. WS at night is magical

BoarderPhreak

I think it's a fitting indication of just how disjointed Epcot has become - far from its original message. At its heart, EPCOT Center was about "tomorrow." It was even part of its name - "Experimental Prototype Community of TOMORROW." Future World was about current day concerns, technology, history... Postulating what all of these things held in store for us in the future. World Showcase was perhaps a bit of an aside, but was meant to showcase different cultures and reinforce that we were truly one world.

Along the way, the refurbs just chiseled away at that original vision. What's left today has zero cohesion. SSE, UoE and LwtL still maintain the original direction - but pretty much everything else is out the window. M:S has no message, it's a thrill ride - same for TT. The Living Seas - who knows. It's about Nemo. Imagination? Fuhgeddaboudit. Three HUGE parts of that message were the Horizons, World of Motion and Wonders of Life pavilions... All gone.

Innoventions? As I mentioned in another thread - a wasteland. Not even worth the space it occupies. The original intent of Communicore is gone. The only thing "close" is the current IBM "Think" exhibit.

Disney tried to make EPCOT Center into something "more attractive" to the masses. While it may have worked on the surface, it essentially ruined all that it stood for.

Penny R. Kaid

Original Poster
I didn't like nor understand Futureworld. Or, really, any part of Epcot and it pains me to say that. I found Futureworld confusing and the layout disorienting, and the WS seemed more like a marketplace than a showcase.

I guess I was expecting more history, or something... and didn't get what I was looking for. Expectations set too high?

I won't be back to Epcot for a long time.

That's what I meant by the lack of cohesiveness... I think that BoarderPhreak agrees with me that the original Epcot would have met your expectations or at least come close... In my opinion fixing (or reverting) Imagination would go a long way in fixing part of the problem... I mentioned this in another thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/posts/5511173/

Tomorrowsphere

I could not agree more with what most of you are saying about Epcot (EPCOT Center) I had the fortune to visit Epcot in the 80's several times and I just remember the feeling of optimism. Optimism wrapped up in entertainment and education. I was there in 2011 for a two week stay and I could not help looking for bits and pieces of the Center I knew. Funny thing was The Land ride has still some of the original feel. I was sad to walk by a roped off Wonders of Life pavilion. As a graphic designer the icons of EPCOT made future world work as a cohesive one and I so much miss the theme songs. I don't think it can return to it's formal glory, but I hope it can be something that can inspire future generations as it did me. First time I went to Epcot Center it was so different from the Magic Kingdom, back then I would have kicked and screamed if someone told me there was a better park than the MK. But when I did go WOW! It was Disney's optimism with a purple dragon mascot and not a mouse. Nostalgia is so strong, but change happens. If there is one thing I would like to return is that felling of hopefulness for a better tomorrow. Just don't make it a 3 minute thrill ride with nothing but HD screens in replacement of audio-animatronics...wink wink

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom