Epcot & DHS rumors from Screamscape

Tim_4

Any makeover of DHS must include something physical link to EC so that each park could generate momentum for the other. Uni has the right idea with Hogswarts Express. The project should attempt to blur the physical boundaries of the two parks in order to create super park of sorts. The land in between both parks could be room for DHS to expand with a themed transition to World Showcase.
It "must"? That's a little overboard, don't you think?

CDavid

Any makeover of DHS must include something physical link to EC so that each park could generate momentum for the other. Uni has the right idea with Hogswarts Express. The project should attempt to blur the physical boundaries of the two parks in order to create super park of sorts. The land in between both parks could be room for DHS to expand with a themed transition to World Showcase.

Maybe some sort of friendship boat ride between the parks? :)

Wouldn't the Boardwalk and other resorts sort of be in the way for a "themed transition to World Showcase"?

Travel Junkie

No, they don't. I've seen JttCoTE operate in Tokyo rain. And when it rains in Tokyo, you know it's raining. All day.

I've also watched Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land operate in the rain. The cars make a fabulous whooshing sound on the wet track!

Even Luigi's Flying Tires works in the rain. This video made me smile cause everyone looks so miserable, but the photographer just kept laughing.

The ride systems developed for Cars Land can work in the rain. I think why so many WDW rides shut down in "the rain" is because when it rains in Orlando that is often joined by lightning strikes, and those are something different you need to react to. There is very rarely ever lightning in Southern California, and when it does it's nothing like the average afternoon thunder storm in Orlando.

Even by So Cal standards it has been a dry winter, but it seems everytime I check RSR has closed during even the lightest of sprinkles. I'm sure it has run during the rain, but it closes more often than not. Maybe there is another reason for it and it will improve over time as bugs get worked out, but right now rain drops shut it down more often than not.

I would be against a value engineered Carsland. If they did however it would be pretty simple. They can use the Catastrophe Canyon backdrop to create the first portion of the ride by the waterfall and then copy the dark ride portion. For those that don't know (spoiler alert) the dark ride portion goes through Radiator Springs, before you leave and race outdoors next to the town of Radiator Springs. WDI could choose to include the first two portions and skip the 3rd portion. This would allow them to skip recreating the entire mountain range and town lowering the cost. Of course the primary reason you want to go on RSR is the outdoor race portion.

Again I would disagree with this option, but it is an option.

stevehousse

I'm sure I will get murdered for this, but here it goes! ;)

I won't cry if RSR doesn't come and carsland does! I like tht they would keep that attraction at DL only. Now what if they did a dark ride that was themed to Cars 2 and utilize the roger rabbit spin ride system! not only would it be fun, its a ride more kids would be able to go on, which DHS is lacking, and save the slightly increased thrill for the monsters inc door coaster!

Either way DHS needs more for kids! Especially if they are going to be adding a Star Wars land down the road! ;)

My Pixar Place dream;

Cars dark ride, roger rabbit spin ride system
Monsters Inc door coaster
TSMM
A WALLE or Up dark ride
Incredibles E ticket ride!

TP2000

The elephant in the room here is the simple fact that DHS doesn't need a couple of new rides, it needs over A DOZEN new rides and it needed them yesterday.

DHS is a 25 year old theme park with only 15 major attractions, of which six of those attractions are actual rides. Six. And three of them have height requirements.

When Cars Land opened, DCA was an 11 year old theme park that had 25 major attractions, and 18 of those attractions were actual rides. Eighteen. Cars Land opened and added three new rides to that total, bringing DCA to 21 rides before its 12th birthday. Plus seven popular theater attractions and a really good activity area. (Aladdin, Disney Jr., ITTBAB, MuppetVision, Turtle Talk, Animation Academy, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail)

6 rides at DHS after 25 years, and 21 rides at DCA after 12 years. Think about that.

You could add an exact clone of Cars Land to DHS and get 9 rides, but you still need to add a dozen additional rides to DHS to make it a full day park.

Anyone have any peanuts for that giant elephant here in the room with us? :D

lebeau

The elephant in the room here is the simple fact that DHS doesn't need a couple of new rides, it needs over A DOZEN new rides and it needed them yesterday.

DHS is a 25 year old theme park with only 15 major attractions, of which six of those attractions are actual rides. Six. And three of them have height requirements.

When Cars Land opened, DCA was an 11 year old theme park that had 25 major attractions, and 18 of those attractions were actual rides. Eighteen. Cars Land opened and added three new rides to that total, bringing DCA to 21 rides before its 12th birthday. Plus seven popular theater attractions and a really good activity area. (Aladdin, Disney Jr., ITTBAB, MuppetVision, Turtle Talk, Animation Academy, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail)

6 rides at DHS after 25 years, and 21 rides at DCA after 12 years. Think about that.

You could add an exact clone of Cars Land to DHS and get 9 rides, but you still need to add a dozen additional rides to DHS to make it a full day park.

Anyone have any peanuts for that giant elephant here in the room with us? :D

Every time I think about DHS' problems, I get frustrated. The park has several fundamental problems; not enough attractions (especially rides), haphazard layout, lack of cohesiveness, etc.

You can throw more attractions at it. That's the easy fix. But Disney has been dragging its feet on even that. As badly needed as new rides are (especially family-friendly rides with no height restriction), you have to be careful about what you add and how you add it. Just randomly throwing attractions at DHS because they don't fit in any other park is exactly how DHS got to be the mess it is.

Disney needs a long-term strategy for the park. Yes, they need to add new rides. They should have been adding new rides consistently since the park opened. But they need to start doing it in a smart way. They will never fully be able to fix the park's layout or lack of cohesiveness. But with some planning, they can improve the flow of the park instead of making it worse than it already is.

DAK needs a lot of attention. And Epcot is embarassingly stale. But DHS should be Disney's top priority. That park needs an overhaul almost as much as DCA did.

NowInc

Honestly I dont see why they cant just turn that entire HALF of the park into pixar place...with much less work than most assume. You can easily turn the streets of NY into monstropolis, catastrophe canyon can be used as part of radiator springs, toy story mania is already close enough, and im sure you could re-theme the honey i shrunk the kids playground into a bugs life...pretty easily.

Just me thinking out loud :p

luv

A dark ride and a coaster would be awesome. :)

Avatar should go into DHS, though. That would make much morse sense than the AK.

doctornick

Agreed. There needs to be a ton of new rides built at DHS (and DAK for that matter). They don't all have to be E-tickets -- in fact, DHS already has ood headline attractions -- but there needs to be more to do, especially family friendly rides.

doctornick

DAK needs a lot of attention. And Epcot is embarassingly stale. But DHS should be Disney's top priority. That park needs an overhaul almost as much as DCA did.

I'd argue that DHS needs an overhaul much worse than DCA did. That's what's frustrating. It's a total mess and there's not enough to do.

I agree that they need a good comprehensive plan to fix the park and not just adding attractions haphazardly to increase the ride count. But they need to come with that play now and impliment it immediately. It is long overdue.

Travel Junkie

DHS needs the DCA type makeover. Up until now DHS and DAK could ride the coat tails of MK and Epcot as people came out for the week and simply visited the other parks because their other options were limited.

With Universal and Sea World upping their game, visitors could easily skip their days reserved for DHS and DAK and use them on Uni and or Sea World. It will begin to hurt Disney's bottom line if DHS is not improved.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
FWIW: An update today from Screamscape on the plans for Epcot & DHS

2016 - Soarin’ Over The Horizon - Rumor - (5/22/13) After doing a little more digging about the concept of the blending the Soarin’ Over the Horizon ride concept with the new Planes movie, I realized one very important thing. The two concepts, while being slightly complimentary, are materially foreign enough to each other to keep any kind of Planes theming down to a minimum. In other words... IF there is any kind of true Planes tie-in at all made there, look for it to be restricted mainly to the queue and pre-show experience.
After all, the entire point of the Soarin’ ride is to show us REAL footage of the beautiful sights, landmarks and wondrous natural terrain of the earth itself. If the ride concept were suddenly given a full treatment to become themed to the world of PLANES (which is really the world of Pixar’s CARS) then the ride film would have to be computer animated and show off the false landscapes as seen in the films, rather than the majestic real-world scenery that we enjoy in the current version of Soarin’.
That news should make a number of people feel more at ease about the concept of the next Soarin’ ride, which would essentially sideline any kind of PLANES themeing to serve as pre-ride entertainment in the queue or hosting for the pre-show safety videos instead. Of course, we’re talking about something that isn’t expected to hit the US parks until 2016... and unless PLANES is a huge hit, or something worthy of it’s own sequel or ongoing TV series on the Disney Channel, the general public might have forgotten entirely about it by mid 2016... nearly 3 years after the film hits the silver screen.
So in other words… the chances of a Planes / Soarin’ crossover are not very good at all.

2018 - Cars Land - Rumor - (5/22/13) I’ve got some semi-good news this week for everyone who was disappointed in the concept of a Walt Disney World version of Cars Land without the Radiator Springs Racers. In typical Disney fashion, they come up with more than one plan for any given project… and while there are proposed versions of Cars Land without the iconic ride… there are also versions being pitched that will include a Radiator Springs Racers ride… though with a slightly different layout.
If the Dark Ride version is approved, I’m told that the basic plan for the attraction would be to recreate most of the dark ride segments of the existing Radiator Springs Racers ride anyway... but feature some kind of new indoor finale.

The Soarin' info sounds like a lot of speculation on the authors part, as does the Cars Land info, but it seems to be more realistic. Regardless, take it with a grain of salt as it's rumor/speculation and subject to change, even if it is true.

lebeau

I'd argue that DHS needs an overhaul much worse than DCA did. That's what's frustrating. It's a total mess and there's not enough to do.

I agree that they need a good comprehensive plan to fix the park and not just adding attractions haphazardly to increase the ride count. But they need to come with that play now and impliment it immediately. It is long overdue.

I agree from the perspective that DHS is a wreck. The only reason I think DCA needed the makeover more is that it was not serving its buisness function which was to make DL a multi-day destination. It was being used as an overflow by locals, but not drawing tourists as it was designed to do.

DHS benefits from being part of the #1 tourist destination in the world. So even though it is arguably a more flawed park than DCA was, its needs are less pressing from a business standpoint. Disney has been able to ignore them and people still burn off their multi-day passes there.

From a fan's perspective, all of the parks in WDW are in desperate need of attention none moreso than DHS. Although DAK and Epcot both have a lot of needs to be addressed as well. But from Disney's perspective, those needs aren't nearly as urgent.

Figments Friend

-
I was thinking about this recently regarding a RSR-lacking FL version of CarsLand....and now see this article come up.
My thinking was about how awkward it would be to have a RSR clones for FL, when we already have Test Track.
The two rides are basically the same at their core, but of course totally different themes and settings.

I had a hard time believing TDO would want a TT clone. Perhaps what the Screamscape article touches on is the answer: build a ride vastly different.

This would be a good idea, as DCA's CL is special and should remain a 'exclusive' to the DL Resort. It fits perfectly, and why encourage a value-engineered verison at DHS is my thinking.
Sure, build a version of CarsLand in FL if the powers that be insist...but make it different. Not cheaper, not value engineered...just 'different'.
Have a Cars-themed dark ride would be nice...plus perhaps some other unique features.

GiveMeTheMusic

Based on the first post, the Planes/Soarin' thing was total speculation by Screamscape (and stupid speculation at that). Why anyone takes that site seriously is beyond me.

And seriously, the whole RSR wouldn't work because of TT thing is beyond stupid. There are multiple instances of the same ride systems throughout the WDW parks.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Based on the first post, the Planes/Soarin' thing was total speculation by Screamscape (and stupid speculation at that). Why anyone takes that site seriously is beyond me.

And seriously, the whole RSR wouldn't work because of TT thing is beyond stupid. There are multiple instances of the same ride systems throughout the WDW parks.

Speaking as someone who frequents their site, I don't take them seriously, nor Jim Hill, nor many of the posters here, it's just entertainment splashed with an occasional bit of news, pics and maybe a rumor that has substance, but I don't take them serious. For that matter, I know that any rumors about WDW, regardless of the source, are subject to be false and/or speculative, but then, that's the very definition of a rumor, isn't it?

Agree on the the ride system duplication point too. I've never understood or agreed with this argument when people have used it against the idea of bringing the Indiana Jones attraction to WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I read Screamscape everyday simply because it's a half decent aggregater of theme park news. Saves me from having to individually follow a bunch of different news sites.

wdwfan4ver

FWIW: An update today from Screamscape on the plans for Epcot & DHS

The Soarin' info sounds like a lot of speculation on the authors part, as does the Cars Land info, but it seems to be more realistic. Regardless, take it with a grain of salt as it's rumor/speculation and subject to change, even if it is true.
The info from Screamscape appears to be false on Carsland. I saying that based on Tikiman's comments yesterday. He Said "There will be no Cars land in WDW. There will be a huge new project that will take out things around Star Tours all the way to Indy and the lake next to it."

My proof of him saying that is: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-cars-land.846133/page-250#post-5504730 .

Tikiman is more of a trustworthy source than Screamscape is. Tikiman is the best source here for news on the Poly and due to those connections might know what is happening elsewhere on property.

lebeau

The info from Screamscape appears to be false on Carsland. I saying that based on Tikiman's comments yesterday. He Said "There will be no Cars land in WDW. There will be a huge new project that will take out things around Star Tours all the way to Indy and the lake next to it."

My proof of him saying that is: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-cars-land.846133/page-250#post-5504730 .

Tikiman is more of a trustworthy source than Screamscape is. Tikiman is the best source here for news on the Poly and due to those connections might know what is happening elsewhere on property.

BS on Screamscape! Say it isn't so!

Next you'll tell me Disney is raising prices this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom