Epcot After Hours Tasting - New event

KLinder7

Sounds very desperate on their part.
What happened to the idea of selling access to MB to off-property hotels?
Might we see changes in the future adding costs to MB and raising prices on other things? #Ihaveabadfeelingaboutthis

They are selling MB to anyone who goes into the parks now. $12.95 or something close to that. They have a cast member outside stores with a bunch of MB on trays like they are about to do a taste test or something.

lostpro9het

So, let me see if I understand this....

Disney removes some features, options, attractions, etc and everyone on this site complains.

Disney adds some features, options, attractions, etc and everyone on this site complains.
Nailed-It.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think this is actually a half decent idea and not as bad a deal as it seems. The $35 would be steep if it was just the cover to stay, but you get food and drinks. If you add up the menu food and flight prices it's probably around $25 to $35 worth of food. You are basically paying less than $10 "cover". Now if you don't drink or don't want to eat the food then it's not a great deal but you can still linger around WS for free for a while after closing. If you have kids it's a bad deal (intentionally done that way). Seems like a nice way for adults to finish off a night at EPCOT after illuminations and avoid the mad rush out.

I understand the point that EPCOT was open until 11PM on a regular basis in the past, but those days are long gone and aren't coming back. I wish that wasn't the case:(. The park may have been open until 11PM, but they weren't giving out food and drinks to everyone for free so it's not exactly like they are charging you now for something that was once free. This is of course a money grab for Disney, but it's also meeting a guest demand of more adult oriented nightlife. As someone said earlier they should pair this with live entertainment options then the extra cost above the cost of food would be more than worth it. I probably would consider doing this if someone would take my kids for the night. Any volunteers;)

bhg469

Disney removes some features, options, attractions, etc and everyone on this site complains.

Disney adds some features, options, attractions, etc and everyone on this site complains.
The "feature" that was removed in this case was a later closing time. It was replaced by a pay to play option when it's already over $100 to spend the day there..

People have every right to complain when 5 years ago, Epcot was open late just about every night. The profit margins weren't hugh enough so now it will be an exclusive party to stay late after more money of course...

I agree the late hours are gone and this is an OK alternative but I would not fault anyone for complaining that this is not a fantastic plan..

BigTxEars

The "feature" that was removed in this case was a later closing time. It was replaced by a pay to play option when it's already over $100 to spend the day there..

People have every right to complain when 5 years ago, Epcot was open late just about every night. The profit margins weren't hugh enough so now it will be an exclusive party to stay late after more money of course...

I agree the late hours are gone and this is an OK alternative but I would not fault anyone for complaining that this is not a fantastic plan..

I thought we determined it was over a decade ago that Epcot was so open latter than it is today. But I get your point. But I think the poster above said it best. WDW does "A" people complain, WDW does "B" instead and people complain. Just seems no matter what they will be bashed by some.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I agree with you that people have a right to complain about reduced hours. I don't think the hours being reduced have anything to do with this new offering. In this case the park wasn't open until 11PM and they cut it down to 9PM unless you paid the cover. If that happened I would call this a bad idea.

Redhawk

I have heard they won't kick you out but everything except those four lounges will close at 9. You probably could walk around but that would be it.

Does this mean you can still get a 9:00 ADR for the other WS restaurants? My husband and I would do dinner as a walkup (in less-crowded times) right after Illuminations. We usually left WS around 10:30. That has been in the past decade (I remember doing it in 2010 at the Chinese restaurant) so if that's changing I'll be annoyed. We are late diners, but I don't always want to drink alcohol so not going to pay $35 for a flight and bar snacks.

Edited to add: However, from a financial standpoint for Disney, it makes sense. Limited menu, alcohol, fixed price. Allows the other restaurants (and most of the park) to close up/clean up after the last regular diners, even if they still seat up to 9 pm. Keeping 4 restaurants open "late" catches some extra cash at less expense and keeps guests in specific areas.

I have a feeling that if you leave your restaurant, you'll be gently ushered toward the exit, not allowed to wander around a closed WS. If it doesn't work as hoped and bring in in the projected revenue, they'll just discontinue it.

Last edited:

Kman101

Weren't people complaining that park hours SHOULDN'T be so late because that cuts into the park's maintenance (yes, laugh away at that word, heh), so they go back to 'normal' hours and now the parks need to be open until 11 or 12 ...

But I see some valid reasons to complain about this and question it. It's a clear money grab under the guise of 'something special.' Not knocking the offer, I'm sure many will enjoy it, but it's just obvious why they're doing it and LOL at that lady from Epcot trying to justify it. I burst out laughing reading that statement.

Fe Maiden

This is of course a money grab for Disney,

And this is the annoying part, even after your well reasoned and thoughtful
attempt at justifying this little addition you still call it out for what it is, a money grab.

As someone said earlier they should pair this with live entertainment options then the extra cost above the cost of food would be more than worth it.

That sounds eerily familiar to what you can do at an actual well-run theme park under normal operating hours.

But no, we'll have you pay $35 a person to sit around while our cleanup crew finishes up. Oh and we'll serve you some unique authentic dishes "cough cough leftovers cough cough" that we didn't get rid of earlier in the day and you can wash it all down with some drinks that we know won't be nearly enough to satisfy so you'll be shelling out even more money.

And don't forget to lift your legs up for the CMs when they come by with the vacuum.

BigTxEars

attempt at justifying this little addition you still call it out for what it is, a money grab.

That sounds eerily familiar to what you can do at an actual well-run theme park under normal operating hours.

But no, we'll have you pay $35 a person to sit around while our cleanup crew finishes up. Oh and we'll serve you some unique authentic dishes "cough cough leftovers cough cough" that we didn't get rid of earlier in the day and you can wash it all down with some drinks that we know won't be nearly enough to satisfy so you'll be shelling out even more money.

And don't forget to lift your legs up for the CMs when they come by with the vacuum.

So you have seen where they will be cleaning the restaurant during this event? Where was that posted? And the part about the left overs from the day being served where was that posted? Just curious where you got this info, I would love to read it.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Let me properly re-word your post, if I may.

Disney removes some features, options, attractions, etc in an attempt to save money.

Disney adds some features, options, attractions, etc which are all nothing more than polished turds and everyone on this site who is wise enough and not blinded by pixie dust recognizes that its nothing more than an effort to increase the bottom line to make it appear as if profits are coming from NGE, and those who are blinded by their unwavering desire to defend the company at all costs resort to name calling.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I am realistic about this. As 74 said they have to show extra profits and this offering is all about that. He predicted more of these type of upcharge events a while back. But that's the business side to justify it. From a guest prospective it could actually be an added benefit for some people. Families with kids or solo adults who don't drink will likely pass but it serves a certain niche market.

Why I don't find it that annoying is it doesn't take anything away from current offerings. I can still go to Illuminations and lurk afterwards without food or drink for free (not really free, but with valid theme park admission:)). I see how people are annoyed because in the past you could stay until 11PM for free, but to me that's not really relevant to this offering. That's comparing the superior offerings of the past to the current WDW which will always be a losing battle in my mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom