Environmentally Irresponsible

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No, but I would imagine their requisition sent to the third party is just a report of what is shipping (how many bands, what color, and what account they are tied to) and where it is shipping to. Maybe I'm wrong and the third party is doing that work. But it would seem more likely that MDE is collecting that data and translating into a requisition order for whoever creates and ships the magic band. SO, its likely all that would need to be done to stop that is to have the logic in MDE change the requisition that is created.

As for mailers, those would likely be all or nothing I'd assume. Most companies have a way to opt out of receiving physical mail. I don't' think it would be that difficult to put a stop to any marketing shipments to a specific address associated with the MDE account.
Not so much.

The bands are likely 3rd party, the screen printing on the back (the "customization" and the mandatory FCC notices) are likely 3rd party, around the same time another 3rd party, most likely, handles the customized printing, and in the end both are sent to a 4th party that assembles them.

All this is conjecture, but I'm very sure it's a series of subcontractors and much more complex than a "requisition order". And, once you start placing "special orders (customization on an otherwise standard process isn't that complex, but special handling is)...it drastically confuses and complicates the process.

As I stated before, I can see exactly why Disney is doing it this way.

BJones82

Second, this is all managed outside of Disney's shop. The logistical mess of creating exceptions for eight different classes of guest is a nightmare.

I agree to fix it now is horrible... to initially create the process correctly would not, you just make flags for MagicBand shipping, MDE shipping, booklet shipping; and if the flags are set ship them, if not don't...

To update the process now would be much more difficult I assume but without really knowing the processes or databases involved we can't do anything except assume...

aw14

Yes, I get my travel method is not shared by all and is the cause of the bulk. But its not uncommon either. DVC members frequently have split stays. AP holders frequently book hotel stays. My example may be extreme, but its not rare.
Actually it is probably far rarer then you think. The vast percentage of attendees would not be following your travel plans and thus would not be receiving the amount of MB's that you do.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Also, all this "environmental concern", while well placed, is really misplaced. The impact is minimal compared to other things. For example, cel phones and their lithium batteries are far worse, overall, for the environment, if you take a prudish stance (ever seen a lithium mine? Oh, that's right, we don't have many of them in the US...but there are a lot in China...google a picture, they are environmental disasters). Yet, no one is screaming at Apple about their "environmental awareness" due to the Apple Watch, which isn't even a stand alone device.

Gomer

Not so much.

The bands are likely 3rd party, the screen printing on the back (the "customization" and the mandatory FCC notices) are likely 3rd party, around the same time another 3rd party, most likely, handles the customized printing, and in the end both are sent to a 4th party that assembles them.

All this is conjecture, but I'm very sure it's a series of subcontractors and much more complex than a "requisition order". And, once you start placing "special orders (customization on an otherwise standard process isn't that complex, but special handling is)...it drastically confuses and complicates the process.

As I stated before, I can see exactly why Disney is doing it this way.
Not doubting you. Like I said, I'm just speculating here too. But the orders are already custom. Address, name, and color. Not to mention that each is tied to a unique MDE account. My AP bands even came with a little AP charm attached. So, they do customize now. All this would be adding is a "do not ship" option that never requests the band in the first place.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not doubting you. Like I said, I'm just speculating here too. But the orders are already custom. Address, name, and color. Not to mention that each is tied to a unique MDE account. My AP bands even came with a little AP charm attached. So, they do customize now. All this would be adding is a "do not ship" option that never requests the band in the first place.
As noted before, there are specific reasons (not just "do not ship") why Disney would want to keep people on the latest and greatest bands. It's also a form of versioning control as well as customer support.

The cheapest and easiest way to alleviate a lot of these issues is to re-issue bands.

To you, they are disposable devices, to them, they are far more than that.

Gomer

Also, all this "environmental concern", while well placed, is really misplaced. The impact is minimal compared to other things. For example, cel phones and their lithium batteries are far worse, overall, for the environment, if you take a prudish stance (ever seen a lithium mine? Oh, that's right, we don't have many of them in the US...but there are a lot in China...google a picture, they are environmental disasters). Yet, no one is screaming at Apple about their "environmental awareness" due to the Apple Watch, which isn't even a stand alone device.
That's the problem with all environmental efforts though. There's always someone saying it doesn't go far enough, or it doesn't fix all the problems at once, so all the solutions are thrown out for not being "good enough" and then nothing gets done. Yes, there are far greater concerns both at Disney and otherwise. But limiting possible, realistic, change because it isn't perfect just creates paralysis by analysis.

There's always a crazier environmentalist saying every action isn't going far enough. to some unless we live off grid completely no action is worth taking. But not acting because its not perfect just means never acting.

thomas998

That is because the typical environmentalist in the US equates everything with their own backyard not the planet as a whole. If environmentalists would open their eyes to what happens in China they would soon realize that the worst thing anyone can do is buy something made in China... but then if you stopped buying from China your expenses would jump dramatically.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That is because the typical environmentalist in the US equates everything with their own backyard not the planet as a whole. If environmentalists would open their eyes to what happens in China they would soon realize that the worst thing anyone can do is buy something made in China... but then if you stopped buying from China your expenses would jump dramatically.
But, I need my cel phone! Wah wah wah. <wink>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's the problem with all environmental efforts though. There's always someone saying it doesn't go far enough, or it doesn't fix all the problems at once, so all the solutions are thrown out for not being "good enough" and then nothing gets done. Yes, there are far greater concerns both at Disney and otherwise. But limiting possible, realistic, change because it isn't perfect just creates paralysis by analysis.

There's always a crazier environmentalist saying every action isn't going far enough. to some unless we live off grid completely no action is worth taking. But not acting because its not perfect just means never acting.
For every 1 family that is concerned about the Disney mailers, I'd strongly suspect there are 10+ who adore the process.

thomas998

The reality is anything you do in America to stop some form of pollution here is like spitting in the rain when you factor in China. If you could magically eliminate all waste and pollution coming from the US with a magic wand it would do nothing for the world because China and the other developing country are going pedal to the metal in hammering the environment. So if the park is flooded why worry about spilling a cup of coffee.

Gomer

As noted before, there are specific reasons (not just "do not ship") why Disney would want to keep people on the latest and greatest bands. It's also a form of versioning control as well as customer support.

The cheapest and easiest way to alleviate a lot of these issues is to re-issue bands.

To you, they are disposable devices, to them, they are far more than that.
Yeah, at the risk of ing some people off again. My point isn't that Disney isn't taking the financially beneficial route here. I just don't care about Disney's profit margins. I'm not a stock holder. I don't work for the company. I am a consumer who wants to purchase a product I believe in. So, I think its my right to voice concern in the hopes that enough people are in agreement that Disney seems more value in the PR move of eliminating the wasteful shipments than they do in saving the money through mass production efforts.

Its unlikely, but if no one every says anything its impossible. So, why not say something. Just like I'll send my letters about my distastes for the state of Epcot, or complain if my room is messy when I arrive. I am speaking up with the hopes of an improved product without any expectation of it actually occurring.

Gomer

The reality is anything you do in America to stop some form of pollution here is like spitting in the rain when you factor in China. If you could magically eliminate all waste and pollution coming from the US with a magic wand it would do nothing for the world because China and the other developing country are going pedal to the metal in hammering the environment. So if the park is flooded why worry about spilling a cup of coffee.
Same reason I don't litter in my back yard. I control what I can control an only that. I'd rather say something and feel like I tried, even if I know nothing will come of it. It makes me feel better about myself, and optimistically might convince a few others to do the same.

Gomer

Any good environmentalist buys local. Something "buy American" folks and us environmentalist hippies have in common. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, at the risk of ****ing some people off again. My point isn't that Disney isn't taking the financially beneficial route here. I just don't care about Disney's profit margins. I'm not a stock holder. I don't work for the company. I am a consumer who wants to purchase a product I believe in. So, I think its my right to voice concern in the hopes that enough people are in agreement that Disney seems more value in the PR move of eliminating the wasteful shipments than they do in saving the money through mass production efforts.

Its unlikely, but if no one every says anything its impossible. So, why not say something. Just like I'll send my letters about my distastes for the state of Epcot, or complain if my room is messy when I arrive. I am speaking up with the hopes of an improved product without any expectation of it actually occurring.
You, with all due respect, have obviously not designed nor managed a complex production system.

Customization is not "cheaper". And the style of customization that Disney is doing (while to the end user seems cheap) is actually VERY cheap and can be done in line.

When you start messing with the process, it becomes far more expensive, and far more difficult to manage.

Gomer

You, with all due respect, have obviously not designed nor managed a complex production system.

Customization is not "cheaper". And the style of customization that Disney is doing (while to the end user seems cheap) is actually VERY cheap and can be done in line.

When you start messing with the process, it becomes far more expensive, and far more difficult to manage.
Think you misunderstood me. Or I was unclear. I was saying it wasn't cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom