Entertainment Stage Technician

destus

Original Poster
Hello!

Forgive me if this shouldn't be posted here. I have tried to do some research on the internet and these forums, but the secrets seem to be kept safe.
I was recently hired by Disney as an ENT Stage Tech while I was at USITT2015. I do not start until September, and I was really hoping to find some more information about the job and how to prepare. I'm a bit nervous and want to be as best prepared as possible.
I'm a 28 year old veteran who just graduated with a BA in Theatre. I studied stage management at school, and I work in a scene shops as well as I am a stage hand at a road house. I'm learning how to patch the light board at the house currently. I've done hangs and focus, loads, rail, etc. I'm still working on the audio part, the folks I work with are protective of their jobs and don't like people over their shoulders. What else can I work with? I've been back stage for many years now, but a lot of it was with wood and not electronics, automation, or anything that is up to date (thanks university). Can someone give some advice on here or a PM, or point me in the direction of some resources so I can learn more this summer?
I also have questions regarding the other side of the job such as pay, benefits, etc. but I know a lot of those won't get answered until I arrive. They also told me I need to get my FL licence as well as my CDL. I will be arriving on Aug 22nd and am told I need to have the CDL by Sept. 1st. I've never done this test and I hear it's a road (as well as written) test - how can I prepare if I don't very well know the area? Does that matter? Please help. I am so very excited to be joining the cast, I would just like to ease my nerves a bit. My wife has many of the same questions. Thank you.

destus

Original Poster
Not fake I promise - I can post a picture of my letter. Also wondering where the best place to find a rental house would be - we have two dogs and a cat - I know many places are picky about those types of things. Our budget is fairly small too.

Edit: I've been told I will be at Magic Kingdom if that helps for housing locations

CaptainAmerica

In that case, thank you for your service. Your best "bang for your buck" housing would probably be in Polk County.

You took a job in another state without knowing the pay and benefits?

destus

Original Poster
No I understand the pay and benefits, but it's very different from things I've read and heard online so I want to make sure I wasn't seriously low-balled. I wasn't expecting the interview (last minute decision at USITT to visit the booth) so I wasn't able to do much research. I know the benefits as well - health, dental, etc... I guess I just want to understand a bit more how it works. I heard there is a clinic in the park? How often and on what basis are the opportunities to move up in what I hope to be a career? What exactly is the educational matching gifts program? Things like this.

The casting director I talked with said she would call me in June with more information and I'm just itching to understand now. Like I said - I want to be prepared.
I also just want to know what it's like? I've heard it's either a "I hate this" or "I love this" with no middle ground. Why do you love it or hate it?
Moving my family across the country after graduating college is a big decision and I just want to calm my nerves that I made the right choice.

Edit: and thank you so much for the speedy responses. I'll look into Polk County

destus

Original Poster
Bumping this for information regarding a CDL. I'm only finding information about classes and they run about eight grand for many weeks. Can anyone give me some insight here please?

berlioz70

Welcome to the team!

1) Don't spend too much time worrying about additional training, they will train you the way they want the work done. You'll learn quickly that Disney (and all Theme Parks) have unique idiosyncrasies and you'll be expected to adapt to their processes and procedures.

2) Pay is negotiated by the Union, you are paid the same as everyone else with your classification (based on seniority). Most techs are hired in as a level 3, it's through an application process (and test) that you can submit for consideration for tech 2, or tech 1.

3) There is a CM clinic located behind Epcot. While some use it for primary care, I would say most CMs get a local primary care physician and use the Center for pop up things. I have a PCP (Primary Care Physician) for my yearly stuff, then use the Center for flu bugs.

4) Advancement is plentiful, it's about networking and being at the right place/time.

5) You have to apply for education reimbursement and Disney will review each class on an individual basis based on your current role. So, lets say you suddenly decide to go to culinary school, but you're working as a tech, Disney won't pay for that. But if you transfer to Food & Beverage, than there's a better chance they will. My understanding (I've never done it) is that you submit the application prior to the semester and if approved you show your grade at the end. Disney then pays after the semester is over, assuming you meet the minimum grade requirements (I think it's a B?).

6) I actually disagree here, there are lots of people that are middle ground for working at Disney. You'll get your high pixie dust CMs that love it, your local Floridians who just need a job, your College Students looking to party for a semester, and a variety of CMs that are looking to build their resume for future opportunities outside of Disney. I started on the CP because working at Disney was on my bucket list... that was 6 yeas ago and I'm still here.

7) While I've never been a tech, I have friends who are. The hours are long, but there's lots of OT bonus in that. The company is working to even out some of the hours (hence the huge hiring surge right now). You'll have your home park, but could find yourself working all over the resort. You mentioned you'll be at MK, some of the variety I can think of is Audio for Pirate Tutorial (ran by a tech, standing in the crowd, with an iPad), pyro for the fireworks, assisting Tinker Bell with her flight out of the castle, and special event turn over. Fall is the huge party time for MK, and the techs have a three hour window (4p-7p) to run around the park and set up themed lighting, M&G sets and lighting, add any themed decor, etc... then they have to take it down at midnight so the park opens normal the following morning.

8) As for the CDL - I don't think that's a requirement. Did you tell them you already had one? If Disney wants you to have it, then typically they'll pay for it, unless you told them you already one. I'm not positive here, but I've never heard of a CDL for techs before.

HTH

Sounddad

I am active duty Air Force seperating the end of month and have my 2nd interview on tuesday for an Entertainment Tech position, at what point do i expect to find out what the pay is? I have looked on glassdoor but have seen online where people say they dont make nearly that much...

destus

Original Poster
Thanks for the help folks - we just closed on a house in Poinciana and I start in two weeks.
It's been a bit of a crazy process getting there, and I hear it is a bit crazy once I'm there, but I am excited.

Also Soundad - thanks for your service. Always good to hear from a fellow vet.
Break a leg with your interview

destus

Original Poster
Just thought I'd update for anyone who was curious.
Got everything finalized and I have Traditions this Saturday.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom