Enlightenment Please: What is a Lifestyler?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Would a WDW-specialized travel agency, like the aforementioned KK, sit down with clients and list off all of the negatives of their upcoming trip? No, they likely give the highlights. If not, people would start heading elsewhere on vacation.
As a former agent with @Kingdom Konsultant I can shed a little light on this particular area. I can't speak for every agent or agency, but this was my experience.

I was in no way obligated or ever instructed by Disney or the agency owner to give a positive review of Disney or a negative review of something non-Disney. The agency owner stressed honesty with our clients more than anything. Without it, our recommendations meant nothing.

If I went in full tilt pixie dust spewing fanboy, most people would assume that I was lying or reading from a script.

Now if a client asked me to get them a reservation at the Luau, I would not answer with "Are you crazy? That thing stinks! Don't waste your money!", I would get them the reservation.

However, if they asked me what I thought of it I would give them my sensible review. "The show is enjoyable, but a little too corny for my taste. The food can be pretty polarizing. It tends to be a little overly sweet and it would seem that people either love or hate this. My needle points a little more toward the hate it crowd."

NowInc

That's it. I'll buy you TWO drinks to hear that gossip.

It's not legal. That's how. And I still can't get over these new photography services. When Disney catches on to someone walking around with professional gear ten steps behind a family to take vacation "candids" for a "minimal fee." I'm waiting for that shoe to drop.

The photography thing isn't going to be easy to stop. Most of the photogs that do this service just say they are with the family.

However...I do know a few lifestyler wanna-bes that are on Disney's radar for selling their own merchandice in the parks (stickers, pins... Doesn't matter.. That's a no -no). I don't know what the actions taken against them will be.

Allym146

Google gomi and look through the lifestyle section of the forums. While I don't endorse endless snarking on other people day after day, you'll get a pretty good idea of who lifestyle bloggers are and what they do, not limited to disney lifestylers. It's fascinating and disturbing all at once. I really think these people believe they are special and interesting...but usually they are far from it, just ordinary people like everyone else!

asianway

If you went to BOG breakfast this morning AND went to watch them roll out the Easter Eggs at GF you are definitely a lifestyler. One of the two is in inconclusive...

PhotoDave219

As a former agent with @Kingdom Konsultant I can shed a little light on this particular area. I can't speak for every agent or agency, but this was my experience.

I was in no way obligated or ever instructed by Disney or the agency owner to give a positive review of Disney or a negative review of something non-Disney. The agency owner stressed honesty with our clients more than anything. Without it, our recommendations meant nothing.

If I went in full tilt pixie dust spewing fanboy, most people would assume that I was lying or reading from a script.

Now if a client asked me to get them a reservation at the Luau, I would not answer with "Are you crazy? That thing stinks! Don't waste your money!", I would get them the reservation.

However, if they asked me what I thought of it I would give them my sensible review. "The show is enjoyable, but a little too corny for my taste. The food can be pretty polarizing. It tends to be a little overly sweet and it would seem that people either love or hate this. My needle points a little more toward the hate it crowd."

Youre not a lifestyler. Even if we did used to drink at AdvClub. LOL

PhotoDave219

^^^ I get what you mean.

Yep, I found out the hard way recently on Instagram. I'm a huge fan of the whole Dapper Day movement (love the fashion), so on the feed that shows random pics I ended up following a couple accounts because they were posting pics from that weekend of the DD fashions. After DD, my feed was full of these folks who were stalker-level legit with certain characters. It was bananas.

I dropped them in a hot minute after that. Now I'm only following the official Dapper Day account now.

I won't follow psychos.

Oh dont get me started on Justin/Dapper Day. That guy..... that gentlemen runs his successful event from California and pays no attention whatsoever to weather or guest patterns in Florida. I was part of the first one and it was a lot of fun. Alas its all about him making money... so it seems.

PhotoDave219

Lol, guilty! I work from home and have the computer up so it breaks up the monotony of the day.

I'm just complaining about the type of Lifestyler that has an overinflated ego, travels with posse's and has an entitlement complex all because of their follower counts based on meaningless selfie posts via IG and the like - not those who turned their love of Disney into a meaningful career by providing valued information, goods or services.

Lifestyler originally started as a joke.... And then some people started taking it seriously. And adopted it as a badge of honor. Meanwhile, there's even non-ironic hipsters.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Oh dont get me started on Justin/Dapper Day. That guy..... that gentlemen runs his successful event from California and pays no attention whatsoever to weather or guest patterns in Florida. I was part of the first one and it was a lot of fun. Alas its all about him making money... so it seems.

I'm confused - so how did it start? I thought it was something to do with a west coast pinup girl fashion brand (it looked like they were the main sponsor for the DL DD

PhotoDave219

I'm confused - so how did it start? I thought it was something to do with a west coast pinup girl fashion brand (it looked like they were the main sponsor).

Thats interesting..... It was started by this kid Justin. Didnt have any sponsorship the first year or so.

But I'm guessing he's monitizing his investment. (In full disclosure, he attempted to hire me for photos with a very insulting offer.)

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Thats interesting..... It was started by this kid Justin. Didnt have any sponsorship the first year or so.

But I'm guessing he's monitizing his investment. (In full disclosure, he attempted to hire me for photos with a very insulting offer.)

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/midlendres.html?gclid=CNfClbrUuMQCFQ8waQodaJYAXw

^^^ is a brand I've been following for awhile because I love their stuff (some of their prints are too busy for me - I like the solid color stuff)... Anyway -

They were all over the event at DL and sponsored a pre-event by previewing a "new line" of vintage prints. It looked like they had some other event (like an mini expo) with other vendors selling accessories and outfits that were in the Dapper-Day theme/style.

PhotoDave219

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/midlendres.html?gclid=CNfClbrUuMQCFQ8waQodaJYAXw

^^^ is a brand I've been following for awhile because I love their stuff (some of their prints are too busy for me - I like the solid color stuff)... Anyway -

They were all over the event at DL and sponsored a pre-event by previewing a "new line" of vintage prints. It looked like they had some other event (like an mini expo) with other vendors selling accessories and outfits that were in the Dapper-Day theme/style.

Never heard of them. Then again, Justin has pretty well neglected the thoughts of the people who participate in Dapper Day in Florida. He also has no idea how brutal it is to walk around in formal clothes in 90 degree heat. Or simply does not care.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Last edited:

Sans Souci

Google gomi and look through the lifestyle section of the forums. While I don't endorse endless snarking on other people day after day, you'll get a pretty good idea of who lifestyle bloggers are and what they do, not limited to disney lifestylers. It's fascinating and disturbing all at once. I really think these people believe they are special and interesting...but usually they are far from it, just ordinary people like everyone else!

I was thinking of GOMI when I saw this thread. I read over there last week that there is a mommy/lifestyle blogger who posts photo after photo of her children. Someone totally independent of her and her family started a Pinterest page about one of her children. Yeah, that's totally normal and not creepy AT ALL. :facepalm:

But I guess as along as the sponsored trips and gifts roll in, it's all good.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Honestly, I listened to Lou's podcast early on and once in a while, he actually did have some minor negative things to say about replacing certain attractions, etc. Eventually his podcasts got repetitive to me and then I think after that is when he became part of the TWDC propaganda machine.

I don't hate him at all, I just think him and TWDC could do their P.R. work a bit more differently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom