Trip Report englanddg's Surf and Turf Experience

Salutations!

What's a Surf and Turf? Well, stick around, you are about to find out!

So, the trip has finally started! This first leg of the trip consists of a flight from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport to Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC. Here, I will meet up with the kid and her mom, and we'll crash for the night at the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City, two stops on the Metro (DC's Subway System) from Reagan National.

But, I get ahead of myself. Let me introduce ourselves for those who don't know about me, and / or didn't follow along with the Pre-Trip report!

I'm englanddg. <waves hello>

9413287751_53d06c6c12_o.jpg

And this is my 8 year old daughter, Kaylee (a.k.a. KK, "the Kid" or "Kiddo").

9413288251_6dbf936437_o.jpg

As you can see, we both like T. Rowe Price Piggies!

Oh, you want to know my age? Well, lets just say I'm old enough...<grin>

So, some history...well...we have been going annually to Disneyworld since 2010, and each trip has been different and more fun than the last.

2010 - First Trip as a Parent
This first year we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort for 14 days. I had been many times before (my Grandparents lived near Ocala, and I had a Florida Residents Annual Pass), but that was my first trip taking the kid, and as a parent.

Here's a picture of what happens when you don't finish your Turkey Leg.

9420172686_9f0ca3b2c9_o.jpg

9420174978_48abbdf429_o.jpg

And, of course...before my Kid turned to the DARK SIDE (keep going, intrepid readers, the answer awaits!)

9417408181_d3129f8632_o.jpg

Oh, and here's one of my videos commemorating that trip:

Yes, that's right, I'm one of those people who likes to make funky you tube videos about my trips. Some people trip report, some people organize photos and make scrapbooks...I edit videos!

2011 - Kid, Mom and Uncle!
In 2011, I took the kid on a tour of DC for a few days. We did the Smithsonian, the tour of the Capital Building, and a bunch of other things. Then, we flew back to Atlanta for a few weeks, and then on to Orlando for another 14 days at Caribbean Beach Resort.

I had told her we were "meeting Mommy", which technically wasn't false. This trip was special because her Mom and then 10 year old Uncle joined us halfway through. But, the kid had no idea we were going to WDW, and even less idea that's where Mommy was going to meet us!

We surprised my daughter by meeting up secretly at the Castle right before Wishes. The kiddo had no clue, and freaked out. Of course, I got it on video...and...it came out terrible! The lights had already shut off for the show, so you couldn't see anything.

This is her Uncle, though he will not be joining us this trip, just thought I'd give him a little shout out.

9416063366_e1a4b13364_o.jpg

Here's a bonus picture of Darth Kiddo (her Mom is in the background). SEE, I TOLD YOU SHE TURNED TO THE DARK SIDE!

9417248115_895cf48aa9_o.jpg

And, of course...I made a video for this trip!

2012 - Dancing around the Disney World
The kiddo stayed with me the whole summer last year, and we started it with a blast, going to see the Cirque de Soleis Immortal Tour in Atlanta.

Here she got her Michael Jackson hat...one of her most treasured posessions (I kid you not).

7483256118_900936d35a_o.jpg

We stayed late and watched them strike the show, which, considering I used to do stagework, was fun to watch. That's what is going on behind her.

So, for that years trip to "The World", we decided to do something different. So, we did 3 days at Universal Studios, staying at the Royal Pacific. We also did 11 days at Disney, staying at Pop Century. It was also the first trip I told her in advance we were going (this year I did not, having learned my lesson!)

Oh, and that was also the first trip I wrote a complete trip report for, live, while I was there...which is what I will endeavor to do again this trip.

You can read it here.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/englanddgs-magical-mystery-tour.847588/

Also, there is a reason that it was called the "Dancing" trip...because...well...we DANCED!

That trip was loads of fun. I tried to be good, I really did...but, well, if anyone has ever thought that the marketing on the Magical Express ride back to Orlando Airport didn't work, think again!

I decided this coming year, we'd change it up even more. We'd do a DISNEY CRUISE!

A few weeks later, I had us booked in a Veranda Room on the Disney Fantasy, sailing out in a year. I also booked a split stay at WDW, for various reasons which I will get into in a moment.

And so, friends...that brings us to today, read on. <continued next post!>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Just caught up after a rough week/weekend starting a new job. I love how detailed you are, it makes it so fun to read. Glad you enjoyed Legoland for what it was, I think your kid is the perfect age for it.
Congrats on the new job. I'll finish the last three days this weekend, as long as nothing blows up on me at work. This is the first weekend I've really had off since I've gotten back (it was a trade off with the other IT guy for my trip). Then, off to work on the videos!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Not sure what you all would have said about me! (now I'm curious)...But, I'm glad you all had fun!

I'm certainly hoping that @Disneyfalcon does a "non-limited" wdwmagic cruise sometime in the future (or, I'll just use the kiddo as my "girl" to join along...as long as the schedule works for us <grin>)...no worries, we would want our own room. No roomies for us!

Legoland was fun, if you like that sort of thing. I'd give it a shot next time you are in that area!

Expressions of appreciation for tips about Disney cruising that we'd picked up in your current trip report, and gratitude for all the work you did capturing our sailaway so that we could watch it. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Expressions of appreciation for tips about Disney cruising that we'd picked up in your current trip report, and gratitude for all the work you did capturing our sailaway so that we could watch it. ;)
Ah. Well, shucks. Ya'll'd do the same for me, I'm sure! <grin>

I thought you all may have been discussing my choice in wardrobe (referring to the posts in the other thread)!

Disneyfalcon

Not sure what you all would have said about me! (now I'm curious)...But, I'm glad you all had fun!

I'm certainly hoping that @Disneyfalcon does a "non-limited" wdwmagic cruise sometime in the future (or, I'll just use the kiddo as my "girl" to join along...as long as the schedule works for us <grin>)...no worries, we would want our own room. No roomies for us!

Legoland was fun, if you like that sort of thing. I'd give it a shot next time you are in that area!

I think we definitely will! There's just so many questions! Families? Couples? Timing? We'll figure it out. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 16 - Stop and Smell the Roses

Magic - 1 (Swimming)
Peeves - 1 (Running Peeve, the condition of the Food Court eating area at POFQ)
Breakfast - Milk and a banana (kid), Coffee (me)
Lunch - Shrimp Po Boy (me), Nuggets and Fries (Kid)
Dinner - Burger (me, Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Snacks - 2 Coffees (free) (me), 2 bottled sodas, 1 cup of Doughnuts, 1 order of beneights, 2 nesquicks
DP Credits - 27 - 4 = 21 Meal, 24 - 8 = 16 Snacks Need $127, used $94.20
Steps - 5,030 Steps, 2.44 Miles, 8 "Very Active" minutes, 2461 Calories Burned (this doesn't include the water park)

Well, here we are, the final stretch of the trip. Only 4 days left before we have to say goodbye. At this point, we are both rather worn out. The day at Legoland was a long (but very fun) one. I had nothing planned today at all. No ADRs, no park ambitions. Nothing.

So, I let the kid decide what she wanted to do. And, what was that? Play with her new Legos!

I connected up my iPad to the hotel room TV using the HDMI adapter I brought with me. I really like that they don't lock down hotel room TV inputs anymore. However, the inputs on the cabinet didn't work, an I found I had to connect directly to the TV itself. But, that aside...

We browsed through Netflix and found the new Scooby Doo series. The kid was familiar with this show already, but I was not. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the reimagining of the characters, and I thought the story (both the individual shows and the underlying story arch) intriguing.

If you have kids (or even if you don't, and just enjoy a good cartoon series), I'd recommend it!

So, we played legos together for a while, finishing all but one of her sets, and watched TV. I got hungry, so I hiked down to the food court and picked up another Shrimp Po Boy for me (it was THAT good) and some, you guessed it, nuggets and fries for the kiddo.

We went through her collectible mini figures that I purchased the day before, and found that we had nearly all of them (which excited the kid...she still wants the others though...so, Christmas is coming up! For her birthday she's getting as her primary gift the yacht Lego Friends playset that they didn't have in stock on our trip. Shhh...don't tell her. It's a secret!)

I played with her some, and also used this as a chance to catch up on the trip report image posting (from the cruise), do a bit of work, organize the room to get ready for final laundry and packing in a few days, and just generally relax and enjoy spending a lazy "normalish" day with the kiddo.

So, after a few more hours of play, she decided that now she wanted to go do something...go swimming! (surprised? I wasn't...) We still hadn't made it to a water park yet, so I suggested a choice between Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon.

Of course, she chose Typhoon Lagoon! Smart girl. <grin>

After getting her out of her PJs (yep, she hadn't even changed yet...told you it was a lazy day!), we headed out to the car and were off!

Along the way we passed something disturbing. A Disney Magical Express bus and lots of emergency personel, and one very damaged looking car. It wasn't until later at night that I learned the whole (tragic) story as to what happened. The kid snapped a photo of it for me...

Here is the shocking and tragic story. There was a fatality. This is the second serious accident I've seen at Disney, the last was as we were departing last year on the Magical Express from Pop Century. Whenever I see things like this, especially at Disney, it always reminds me to be thankful that our trips have been safe and happy. Anyhow, the whole story is here...and be warned, it is sad.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/di...ash/-/1637132/21500554/-/h30ci8z/-/index.html

We got to Typhoon Lagoon, and I realized I had forgotten to bring my GoPro waterproof camera! So, not to many pictures to be had...

The kid remembered the telescope from a previous trip (not sure how), and insisted we spend some time there. She pointed out the "funny boat" and took me on a guided "tour" of what could be seen. Very cute, and very interesting to hear her describe the water park in her own words.

We only had a few hours, since we arrived so late...but the timing was perfect. It had rained about a half hour earlier (surprised? This is Central Florida in August!), and that had apparently cleared the whole park out!

We went on a few slides, and of course an obligatory round on the Lazy River, but most of the day was spent in the Wave Pool. This is something the kiddo loved last year, but didn't want to venture in very deep. With her newly found aquatic confidence, she was very interested in venturing deeper. Wishing to encourage this, I decided to teach her how to body surf and duck the waves.

She didn't take very well to body surfing, but she adored going out in the 6 and 7 foot water (with my assistance of course) and "ducking" under the huge waves as they approached.

I wish I had pictures or video to share, but as I said, I had forgotten my GoPro! (doh!...this was one of the main reasons I brought it on the trip!)...but, honestly, like the fireworks on the ship, this was probably not a bad thing. Since I wasn't focused on capturing the moment, I got to experience it more fully.

Plus, my kid likes to make fun of me taking pictures and video. "Oh, Daddy, stop that! Have fun!"

The park closing time was upon us, so we headed back to the lockers to get cleaned up and dressed. Along the way I smelled...doughnuts! I had completely forgotten these little gems were at Typhoon Lagoon.

They are tiny little doughnuts served in a paper cup, and they are a MUST EAT! They cover them in regular sugar, and I can't rave more about how delicious these treats are! Also, you can get them with chocolate dipping sauce. WIN!

Typhoon-Lagoon-Water-Park-0003.jpg

Be sure to lick your fingers!

Treats devoured, we made our way back to the hotel. I must say, I enjoyed the rental car for a day like this. I don't mind the busses at all, and when in a pinch a Taxi always works...but, it was a nice treat to be able to come and go as we pleased!

Once back at the hotel, I noted that the evening "Movie on the Green" was starting. Tonight was Tangled! At POFQ, this takes place nightly on the green lawn across from Building 4, and so far we'd missed it each night, and we missed it on our trip to POP last year. So, I thought this would be a perfect way to end a lazy day.

On the green we got set up on a hotel towel, and ran into one of the families that had befriended us at the hotel pool, a very nice family from New Jersey. I asked them if they'd keep an eye on the kiddo for a few moments, and I'd bring us all back snacks for the show (hey, I still have a lot of snack credits to burn!). They agreed!

So, after "collecting orders", I went and picked up dinner for the kiddo and me, as well as snacks for the nice family. The parents didn't want anything, but the kids ordered some beneights and nesquick. My kiddo had...Chicken Nuggets and Fries with a cupcake for dessert.

I had a burger. Just a simple cheeseburger, but it was excellent, I must say! A great way to end the day!

Dinner on the green with my favorite gal!

Unfortunantly, it wasn't to be. About halfway through the movie it started to rain!

So, we gathered our remaining food and went up to the room. The kiddo got ready for bed and we watched a few more episodes of Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated (yep, it's a good show people!) before dozing off to dream about tomorrow.

So, now it's that time again...Dining Plan Breakdown!

Breakfast
Milk + Banana - $5

Lunch
Shrimp Po Boy - $18.20
Chicken Nuggets - $17

Dinner
Hamburger - $16
Chicken Nuggets - $17

Snacks
Doughnuts - $5
Beneights - $3
Nesquick (x2) - $7
Bottled Sodas (x2) - $6

Total needed? $127. Total used today? $94.20. Not looking good for the Dining Plan so far! I really need to sneak in some table service!

Next Post - Day 17 - Isn't it Great to Stay Up Late?

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 17 - Isn't It Great to Stay Up Late?

Magic - 0
Peeves - 1 (Running Peeve, the condition of the Food Court eating area at POFQ, same peeve as yesterday, but I'll go into detail in this post)
Breakfast - Milk (kid), Coffee (me)
Lunch - Muffelatta (me)
Dinner - Ribs (me), Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Snacks - 2 Coffees (free) (me), 1 order of beneights, 1 Mickey Ice Cream, 1 Mickey Rice Krispy Treats
DP Credits - 21 - 3 = 18 Meal, 16 - 4 = 12 Snacks Need $127, used $70.08
Steps - 13,838 Steps, 6.72 Miles, 29 "Very Active" minutes, 3203 Calories Burned

All this time at Disney and we still had not made it to Hollywood Studios. So, my plan was today, that will be rectified!

I woke the kiddo around 9a, and I must say she was dragging her feet. I wasn't terribly concerned about the timing, since I still had the rental car (I LOVED that car, so glad I decided to keep it through the rest of the trip). This meant we didn't have to worry about bus waits, etc. So, I just let her slog through her morning routine while I hopped down to the food court to get her breakfast (she only wanted milk) and coffee for me.

Her not wanting anything to eat should have tipped me off. But, it didn't. So, as I toodled around the room, she...very casually...got dressed, brushed her teeth, etc. All with Disney XD playing in the background.

What do I mean by "tipped me off that something wasn't right"? Well, read on, and you will find out!

The drive to Hollywood Studios was uneventful, but in all our years of trips, this did offer the opportunity for a "new ride", at least for the kid. That's right, the Parking Trams!

We've never ridden on the trams together (though I did many times as a kid myself), and the kid thought they were neat. She insisted we wait for a seat in the last car so we could be "whipped around the corners!". Whatever makes her happy! <grin>

Walking up to the park they had done some awesome topiary to advertise the recently released Monster's University!

Stunning weather, beautiful day, and one of our favorite theme parks, things were looking great!

The Citizens of Hollywood were even out, and in rare form! We watched their show until they packed up. I love the Citizens of Hollywood, and I've noted they've been out more often the past few trips (this year and last), which makes me very excited to see!

Now, I thought the kiddo would immediately want to rush off to her three favorite rides in all of the parks...and I wasn't surprised. She wanted to go do Rockin' Roller Coaster. But, she got distracted when she saw this!

I don't recall there being a Planet Hollywood store in Hollywood Studios last year, and I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. I prefer unique merchandise, and I'm not fond of the Hard Rock or the Planet Hollywood concepts as a whole. But, these concerns were lost on my daughter, and she wanted to do some "shopping"! So, we picked out a few items as family gifts, and then I ran across this guy!

Doesn't he belong at the "Park which shall not be named" a few miles up I-Drive? <grin> We were having so much fun, we decide rather than rush off to a ride, we'd take our time walking the various stores.

I decided to give her $30 in spending money that she could use to buy whatever she wanted. She took the challenge quite seriously!

Looking at pretty much everything the shops had to offer!

She ended up buying a stuffed alligator from Where's my Water, a game she adores and is vastly better at than I! After this she decided she wanted a snack, so we picked up a Mickey Ice Cream. I thought she was looking a bit tired, and she'd been rather slow and acting unusually all morning (not running off to a ride first? Really?)

She decided that we should go do Rockin' Roller Coaster next, so off we went!

But, it was not to be. Take a close look at her face in the previous few pictures. She isn't her normal cheerful self. I wasn't sure why? The day had gone splendidly so far. But, things were about to take a turn.

We made it to the line at Rockin' Roller Coaster, and the wait was around an hour. I told this to the kid, and she refused to ride at this point...turned around and frumped away from the line as if it's the worst news she had ever heard in her life, and that the line had personally insulted her!

I offered that we do Tower of Terror instead, but she didn't want to do that. She sat down on the curb, and started to pout, whine and cry.

I was completely flummoxed. Nothing should be wrong, I mean, it wasn't raining nor was it terribly hot, it wasn't terribly crowded (though, the crowds weren't light either), and she claimed she wasn't hungry. So, I really couldn't get a grasp on why she was acting this way.

After about 15 minutes of sitting on the curb with her, offering her choices, since she didn't want to do Tower of Terror or Rockin' Roller Coaster, I eventually had enough. "Parent Mode" kicked in, and I declared the day over.

This made her even less happy. "But, we didn't even get to do any rides!", she complained, as I marched her out of the park. There was no way I was going to allow her to act this way, sassing me, crying, whining and generally appearing a few step away from a temper tantrum. No, not in public. Sometimes kids need a reset, and mine is no different. And, this was time to do just that!

Though we walked rather quickly back out of the park, my curiosity about Sid's took over, and I had to see the new FastPass+ setup there. I was surprised how understated it was. I actually think it fits quite well there, for what it is. I thought integrating the touchscreens into vintage style portable TV sets was a great idea, whomever at Disney thought that up. Based on what I'd read, I had expected it to be far worse.

Well, a grumpy and disappointed kid (who was being flatly told that we were leaving due to her behavior, so was doubly unhappy, and even feeling a touch guilty) and I made it to the car. We had barely pulled out of the parking spot, I learned what the issue was.

She passed out! We made it to the hotel, and she wouldn't wake up. So, I had to carry her upstairs, where I tucked her in bed.

At this point I figured a few hours of sleep, and she'd be human again and we could go do something. So, I went and grabbed some lunch and figured I'd work on uploading pictures and get caught up on the Trip Report (I was grossly behind at this point)...

Wanting to try something new (though that delicious Shrimp Po Boy did entice me again!), I decided on a Muffelatta (Muffy) sandwich. This is one of my favorites. As a teenager, I briefly worked at a New Orleans style restaurant shop, and this was the one sandwich I always got on my breaks. It's so good!

Disney's version at POFQ did not disappoint! Salami, melted Swiss cheese, Ham, and a mixture of garlic, chopped black olive, chopped red pepper, chives, chopped onions and flat leaf parsley, all served on toasted bread. The fresh potato chips served with it also hit the spot. So good! I wish I had enough room in my belly for two!

The guy who served me was hands down my best Guest Experience so far at the POFQ Food Court (where I hadn't been very impressed). He joked around, and flashed me one of the few "genuine" smiles I'd seen so far (check out my picture below and look at the CM's faces...that's pretty much how the Food Court CM's looked my entire trip). His name was Rod, and the interaction with him was so pleasant that obviously I made a note of it and made sure I got his name.

So, this is a shout out to Rod.

Today I was also informed that I would have to trade out my mugs for the new "Chipped" mugs. For those not familiar with this, the program is called "Rapidfill". It involves drink mugs (which look pretty much exactly like the older mugs) that contain an RFID chip. The RFID chip is read by the soda machines, and if your cup/mug doesn't have one, hey won't work.

I'd noticed that Coke employees were working on the machines all day, as well as other Disney Maintenance. I was informed that, starting tomorrow (August 18), POFQ would be moving fully to this system.

I will expound on this a bit later with pictures, but I wanted to note that the Food Court was filthy. This is also something I noted throughout my stay. Dirty tables, nasty floors, overflowing trash cans...and many tables sat dirty quite literally all day (I have photo proof to illustrate this)...but, this is the beginning of the peeve.

I worked restaurants a long time (11 years), and I get that sometimes you have nasty guests that make a mess, and sometimes you get slammed or are understaffed, and can't keep things as clean as you'd like to. But, this was a consistent state, it seemed. To me, it looked like they basically did one good clean at the end of the night, so it would open clean, and then did just the bare minimum through the day to keep that level of cleanliness up.

This is a terrible way to run a restaurant, instead of using "Clean As You Go" (CAYG). Why? Well, it's not just because Guests may notice the condition, but if it's already dirty, people are more likely to be dirty themselves (sounds wierd, but it's true). If a Guest sits at a dirty table, they are more likely to not be clean themselves. In addition, massive "clean ups" at night frustrate and tire the staff.

It's just lazy and bad management. And, it gets under my skin. I noticed this later when I came back down for dinner, but we'll leave it here for the moment. I took my meal back up to the room, and the kiddo was still knocked out.

Yes, there is a child under that bundle of covers!

So, I spent the afternoon working on various things. I did laundry and started pre-packing for our departure on Monday. Later in the day, a nice storm came through, and I found it quite relaxing.

The kiddo slept until nearly 7p! When she woke, she was back to her normal self, and VERY hungry (poor thing, all she'd had all day was a carton of milk and a Mickey Ice Cream!)...I was curious why she had been so sleepy, genuinely concerned she may be getting sick.

Last year, she got very ill on our trip, and in turn got me ill! So, I was concerned this was happening again! However...that was not the case. See, I happened to have found, under her covers while tucking her in, my iPad with her headphones stuck in them. This, I found odd, because last night when we went to bed I could have sworn I had left it on the TV stand charging.

Well...she had decided that she wanted to watch more Scooby Doo! So, after I went to sleep, she took the iPad (which I didn't have a pin code on) and had watched the rest of the entire series overnight under her covers with headphones on! Tricksy KK!

I have no idea what time she finally went to sleep, but based on the number of episodes watched according to Netflix, I would guess she didn't finally pass out until around 6a or 7a. This would mean she was on less than 3 hours of sleep. No wonder she was sluggish and grumpy!

So, I went off to the food court and snagged us some dinner. It was still drizzling, so I figured we'd just hang out in the room.

I don't think you'd be very surprised by what she wanted for dinner...

(Continued Next Post)

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 17 - Isn't It Great to Stay Up Late? (Part 2)

I, on the other hand, wanted something a bit more substantial. So, I decided on the BBQ Rib Platter. And, oh my, was it good!

The ribs were perfectly cooked, easy to separate from the bone without falling off. The sauce was tangy and made me even lick my fingers to get every last drop of goodness! Not much to be said about the corn bread or the potatos, they were ok. But, the greens were certainly the star of the meal.

See, I live in the South, and greens are very common here. Making them well is actually a lot more difficult than you'd think. They are easy to undercook or overcook, and difficult to spice with just enough heat, but not too much.

These, were excellent. So, kudos Disney POFQ Kitchen Staff! These greens are awesome!

While I was at the food court, I noted it was in it's general state of filth. I told you I'd have examples, so here they are. We'll start with this...

That's right. It's a syrup bottle on a table. The table (it's hard to tell in the picture) is still coated in powdered sugar. I noted a family sitting here when I came down for breakfast, and they were using that syrup bottle. No one had bothered to wipe off the table, much less remove the syrup bottle.

And then there is this. It's pretty much a statement of the average condition of the tables there...

A tray is so disgusted that it's trying to run away outside! I don't blame it! (seriously, how long has that been sitting there?)

And then there's the trash cans. Mind you, this is INSIDE the dining area, right next to the beverage bar.

And, this is exactly what you think it is...

Had I been the Manager on Duty, I would have flipped out. This is just unacceptable, but it's indicative of the condition of the food court there. Just...nasty. Mind you, it's not as if I didn't see people working the Front of House cleaning...it just seemed like they weren't accomplishing anything. So, sorry Disney, instead of dumping money into RFID mugs for "Rapidfill", you need to get back to basics.

So, peeve rant over.

After Dinner, the kiddo and I decided to go swimming. On our way back to the room, we stopped by to catch the live singer perform at the bar. The kiddo had a Shirley Temple (she was thrilled the bartender remembered her!), and I had this...a Habanero Margarita...

Not quite as good as the ones at La Cava, but still pretty tasty! I also had this...

After that I snagged some coffee and Beneights, and the kiddo got a Mickey Rice Crispy Treat to munch on as we settled in for bed.

So, well fed, this day seemed like it would be a disaster, but in reality it worked very well because I was able to take the downtime to do all our laundry and mostly get things pre-packed for our departure in two days. It broke my heart to break apart my kiddo's lego creations, but...in all, today was a success. Certainly relaxing (for both of us!).

So, on to the Dining Plan Analysis, this time brought to you by Professor Von Drake!

NewPicture6-1.jpg

Breakfast
Milk - $3

Lunch
Muffelatta - $17.33

Dinner
Rib Platter - $24
Chicken Nuggets - $17

Snacks
Mickey Ice Cream - $3.75
Mickey Rice Krispy - $2
Beneights - $3

Vell, I need to use $127 a day. Today, we used $70.08. Not good, not good at all!

Next Post - Day 18 - Surf City Here We Come!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 18 - Surf City Here We Come!

Magic - 2 (swimming and sandcastles!)
Peeves - 1 (Rapidfill)
Breakfast - Milk and a banana (kid), coffee (me)
Lunch - Cheeseburger (me), Chicken Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Dinner - Jambalaya (me), Chicken Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Snacks - 3 Coffees (free) (me), 1 cup of doughnuts, 1 order of beneights
DP Credits - 18 - 4 = 14 Meal, 12 - 3 = 9 Snacks Need $127, used $70.08
Steps - 13,838 Steps, 6.72 Miles, 29 "Very Active" minutes, 3203 Calories Burned

Even with an early night last night, we got to a late start today. I think my relaxation with yesterday had carried over, and the kid was resetting her sleep cycle. We didn't get moving until around 11a. What a lazy day! On the cruise, I wouldn't have batted an eye at this sort of schedule (even though we didn't do it very often), but at DisneyWorld? Blasphemy!

But, I am not the sort to stress on vacation, and if we want to be lazy and sleep in, then gosh darn it, that's what we'll do!

On our door was the packet that signifies that this is all coming to an end...

<sigh> It's been a long, and very fun filled adventure, but this is it. Our last full day at Disney. All good things must come to an end...

I thought we might make it back out to Hollywood Studios today, since yesterday had been such a bust, but the kiddo had another plan.

Typhoon Lagoon!

So, after a quick breakfast, off we went!

Like Friday, we spent most of our time in the Wave Pool. In fact, todays trip was mostly an exact copy of Friday's trip with one exception.

When we got there, we went into the gift shop (to browse), and the kiddo noticed a sand castle molding set. She desperately wanted it, insisting that she would build a massive castle with it...and while it was rather cheaply made and severely overpriced, I caved. Hey, every kid has those moments, at least I know I did! As long as she put it to good use!

Well, I can hand it to the kiddo, she did just that!

But, more about that later. So, we started the day doing a few slides and a round on the Lazy River. I also got myself some more of those delicious doughnuts (naughty me!).

After that it was several hours in the Wave Pool, dodging waves. I am truly enjoying that the kiddo is not afraid of the water anymore. I am going to pitch to her mom that it's time we put her in Red Cross swimming courses so she can earn her lifeguard certification (something I have, an started around this age)...

After this, I was famished. So we stopped by Leaning Palms. I had a cheeseburger, which was pretty good. The kid had...wait for it...chicken nuggets and fries.

It started to sprinkle, so our timing was perfect! We ate and watched people dodge the rain. Such fun! I find it amusing that people will go to a water park, where you spend your day getting wet, yet still run away from the rain, because they are afraid to get wet!

The shower didn't last very long, and when it was over the kiddo asked if she could use her new play kit. So, a short walk to the lockers, and we were off to build her sand kingdom!

We walked over to the edge of the wave pool, and caught the end of the "Teen Beach Movie" show at the Board Room. It was fun. The kid was selected (along with other children) to dance in the middle with the stars of the show. I enjoyed it.

After that we claimed a beach chair, and the kid got to work!

And more work...

And more work...

And soon her "Sandy Kingdom" began to take shape...

During all this, I'd help her out, or fiddle on my phone (I'd picked up my daypack from the locker as well)...

We interspersed this with trips out to the wave pool to duck some waves...

Another storm blew up, but the kiddo kept at it!

Yep, overpriced, but I'd say the kit was worth it!

After the storm passed, she'd had enough of playing in the sand, and we went off and spent the last hour or so that the park was opening ducking waves and having fun in the surf!

One thing I will note, that isn't quite enough to be a peeve, but it did bother me...some kids decided to destroy my kiddo's sandcastles (which upset her). I know the kids who did it, because I watched them do it as their mother watched on.

It just irritates me, but no reason to rant about it...so, moving on.

When we got back to the hotel, the "Magicfill" system was in full effect, and the dining room and beverage bar were dirty (surprise, surprise)....

I will save my observations about Magicfill for the next post, but as I stated previously, I'd rather have a clean beverage bar than a "smart" one. Maybe I'm odd like that. I work in technology, but I'm the first to say that sometimes, many times, it isn't a "magic solution"...and this whole system bugs me. But, I digress.

I picked up our nightly Beneights, and grabbed some coffee, and we both were soon off to slumber!

After the kiddo went to bed, I started making calls to be sure that everything was ready for our departure tomorrow. The Magical Express package hadn't given us a pick up time. I went to the front desk, but their system was down, so they couldn't confirm anything.

While on the phone, I wandered into the gift shop and ran into @littleroo . She recognized me and approached me. Very neat!

I was completely distracted already trying to work out the Magical Express issue, so I was even more taken aback when I was "recognized" in the World. A neat experience, but I must say I wasn't the most cordial. She did compliment me on the trip report (which, at that time was mostly live), but it was a bit odd. Something I could have handled better if I wasn't already distracted trying to get someone at Disney on the line to help me out.

After that I grabbed some more coffee and joined my kiddo in dreamland.

On to the Dining Plan review!

Breakfast
Milk + Banana - $5

Dinner
Cheeseburger - $14
Chicken Nuggets - $12

Snacks
Doughnuts - $5
Beneights - $3

$39 of $127 needed. I'm running a major deficit by now, no way I'm making this up! The Deluxe Plan failed me this year! But, I'll keep tracking for the final breakdown!

Coming Next - Stroll and Bowl!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 19 - Stroll and Bowl

Magic - 2 (Wreck It Ralph, the "colorful doorman" and Bowling!)
Peeves - 0
Breakfast - Bounty Platter, Biscuits and Gravy, Coffee (me), Bounty Platter, Mickey Waffle with Fruit and Bacon, Milk (kid)
Lunch - Sushi and a Cheeseburger (me), Chicken Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Dinner - Pizza (me), Chicken Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Snacks - 2 Coffees (free) (me), 2 orders of beneights, Ice Cream, 6 Rice Crispy Treats
DP Credits - 14 - 6 = 8 Meal, 9 - 9 = 0 Snacks Need $127, used $70.08
Steps - 14,991 Steps, 7.32 Miles, 16 "Very Active" minutes, 3272 Calories Burned

In a way I'm rather glad that we took it easy the past few days. I am relaxed, and already well packed. Normally on the final day I'm doing last minute pick ups from the resort gift shop and other items...but, things were all mostly handled. First trip this has ever happened!

Note, I said mostly. See, they didn't publish a departure time on my Magical Express package...and that's a bus I really wasn't keen on missing! The night before I'd both called the number indicated in the package materials and also visited my hotel front desk several times (that's who I was on the phone with when I ran into @littleroo !), but it seems the Magical Express system was down, and no one had access to set up or confirm my departure time.

Rather...annoying. But, I was instructed by the rather nice Cast Member (wish I'd caught her name) at the Front Desk the previous night to try again in the morning. So, allowing the kid some extra shut eye and leaving her a note that I'd be down at the food court and would be back soon, I wandered down to the Front Desk. Indeed, the systems were up and running and they were able to confirm my 6:30p departure with Magical Express.

Win!

While down there I saw this guy heading off to work the front door.

Love the hat and the outfit! I'd seen him several times, and I really think it's small touches like these that add to the experience. You made me smile and brightened my day, Mr. Colorful Man! (not sure what his real name would be, but I'm gonna go with that because it's apt!)

I stopped by the food court, which wasn't very busy I noted, and picked up two bounty platters, a Mickey Waffle with fruit (strawberries) and bacon for the kiddo (a last day tradition for us) and some biscuits and gravy. Why so much? Well, I have a huge deficit to fill with my Dining Credits. So, why not?

Also, naughty me, I did cheat and order adult items for the kiddo. Yeah, I know...I'm not supposed to. But, they wouldn't know, right? (ok, I feel just a little guilty about this...but only a little!)

This proved a tad cumbersome to take back up the stairs, but I managed. I did have to set the trays down to open the door, and when I entered the room I found the kiddo had woken up and found something on XD to watch. I pulled the small table (now devoid of my electronics and other things, since we were packed and lined up next to the door) over between our beds and set out our overly indulgent breakfast.

We...didn't finish it all...but it was a nice start to the morning!

I went through a last minute run through of the bags and room to make sure we weren't leaving anything behind, and we both got ready for the day rather lazily (I hadn't showered, merely washed my face and brushed my teeth at this point). We watched TV, and KK was a tad upset that whilst she was asleep I broken down her hard work on her lego sets. I explained that I had to in order to get them to fit into the bag, and she decided to play a joke on me...pretending to pout...

But, she wasn't convincing. Her lip was out a bit too far and she was over-acting the role a bit, so I played along and begged her forgiveness, which caused her to break character laughing.

So relaxing morning...and, before I knew it, 10a was approaching!

Now, I'm going to digress here to bring up that we have a tradition for our last day at Disney that we broke this year. Most years we hit the Magic Kingdom for Rope Drop, eat lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table, and finish out the day with the 3p Parade eating Popcorn and watching it from the curb facing the Main Street Train Station. But, today, we'd already missed Rope Drop, and when I asked her if she wanted to go to a Park, she declined.

So, I suggested Downtown Disney and DisneyQuest! She perked up, and I knew that was the plan for the rest of the day. This works, because so far we hadn't made it down to that end of DTD on this trip, and I was anxious to try out something else new there...Splitsville!

We went down to check our bags with the Airline Check In, and our carry on bags with Bell Services so I didn't have to lug them around with us in the Rental Car. This went painlessly (as usual). One of the Bell Services Cast Members obviously was enjoying her day, and had a set of Mickey Ears on and was full of energy. It made me smile.

Off to our trusty rental car and after a short hunt for parking, we were walking into DTD and off to the massive Digital Playground that is DisneyQuest!

Along the way the kid started to tell me how excited she was to get to play air hockey and how she wanted to do the giant "ball race" again (I had no idea what she was talking about...but I ran with it).

We turned the corner and our destination was in sight! I've always liked this building. Can't put my finger on it, but I really enjoy the theme.

Completely love the 8-bit characters on the doors. I don't recall those being there last time. The entrance was clean, but, I still don't like the whole "elevator" concept at entry. Oh well...Kaylee was in video game anticipation mode, so...off we go!

See what I mean...anticipation mode! HURRY UP DAD!!!!

She was beside herself, and quickly ran off into the darkness. I let her go ahead of me a bit (after glancing at which game she settled into), but backtracked because...something caught my attention.

The place seems to have changed very little since our last visit...with one very large exception. THIS GUY!

I love me some Wreck it Ralph!

I skipped the movie in the theaters because I was disappointed by Brave. Big mistake. It's a fantastic movie, and the music (which is always a key thing for me to look at...I was originally a Music / Theatre Arts major in college and all) was awesome. I mean, here, just listen to this...

It's simple, yet complex. Emotional, and touching. Sweet, and introspective. Inspiring, and thrilling, it's deep, and fun...ALL IN ONE SONG! Yep...great music! I dare you not to be dancing in your chair by the end of 1:30 seconds in! Yeah, I'll admit, at the end of the movie, I may or may not have been moved to sniffle a bit during the ending portion where they play this song. Or, I could just blame the onions I was cutting at the time! No, really, I was cutting onions when I first saw the movie...I was making dinner! :p

Anyhow, they had integrated Ralph into DisneyQuest. How cool is that! Including that game...a game...I had to...play!

This really took me back to arcades growing up. Younger people won't remember this, but they were the place to be when I was 5 until about 13, before the advent of home gaming really caught up with what was available at arcades. And, it was cabinets built just like this, where I would balance down my quarter for "dibs" or "next play" privileges on the little metal lip above the control panel, and watch another gamer finish their game.

So, I poked my head back into the other section around the corner and caught sight of the kid, absorbed in a game. I wandered over and told her I was gonna play Fix it Felix, and I'd be just around the corner. I think she grunted at me, but I took that as "Ok, I got it Dad. See you in a minute!" (parental translation unit seems to be working today).

The game reminded me of a mix of two of my favorite games when I was a kid. One was Rampage. In Rampage, you got to play as a movie monster. Godzilla or King Kong. I liked being Godzilla. Then, you would go on a rampage (hence the name) through a city beating up buildings, causing fires, eating people (yes, eating people), and causing general chaos. What a fun game!

The other was Elevator Action. This game was never as popular in the arcades growing up, but it was one of my favorites. The game mechanics took a bit of getting used to, as you play as Fix it Felix. But, once I got the hang of it, I was doing great! But, couldn't spend all my time there trying to beat the high score (though, I would have if I could)...I needed to be off to be sure I kept tabs on the kiddo.

We played together for a while. They've added a lot of new games. I'm sortof into video games, arcade style, because (as some of you know) I worked at Chuck E. Cheese for 11 years. One of the things they made us do was play each game TWICE daily. I got rather good at many of them! I still have a knack, and the kid always enjoys when I take her to a CEC because we are easily walking out with over 1k tickets (it's all about knowing the TPT...er...Ticket Per Token averages per game and how to manipulate the jackpots!). Anyhow...that aside, I always take great interest when going to a place like DisneyQuest, but I still look at it as an operator, not as a guest per se.

(yes, that is a very young me, 17 or so I think, dressed up as Chuck)

Our last trip here, I'd noted that it was dirty and the games not well cared for. While I did notice that they really need to up their floor technician staff (we called the Gameroom Attendants) and train them to notice game error codes (most games will either discreetly or indescreetly (as pictured below) show you when they have an issue...that way the games are working when the guests want to play them)...I did note that this trip the place was in better condition than I remembered from the past. I still think it's a bit too dark...but <shrug>

Ah, Flaming Finger (which, brings a rather odd mental picture, when you think about it). The key to winning this is tricking the sensor. I can win it at an 80% (give or take) ratio...if you try and follow the maze, you'll rarely if ever win. (sneaky me)

Anyway...at this point I decided I wanted a snack and some coffee, and the kid some juice. So, we went upstairs to the Wonderland Cafe.

Just...to find out that it's closed! This place always seems to be closed. In 4 trips to DisneyQuest in the past 4 years, I can't ever remember a time I recall it being open! But, obviously they are open sometimes! Come on, I WANT A CUPCAKE!

Pretty pretty please?

But, alas, there were no hours posted and no CMs around, and rather than jump the counter and try and credit my Dining Plan myself, I decided that it was best to avoid any issues with Disney Security, and we delved back into the darkness and depths of the digital playground.

<Continued Next Post>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 19 - Stroll and Bowl (Part 2)

Well, since we couldn't get our fill of snacks, we went off to do something that had caught the kiddos eye earlier.

Astroblasters! Last trip the kid was too short for this attraction, but not this year! In fact, she was even tall enough to drive! The line was a bit crowded, and people were shoving and just generally not paying attention. Again, while I appreciate the dark nature, for older people who have trouble with dark environments, I can see this being overwhelming for them. Maybe some day if DisneyQuest gets a refurb they won't design the whole place to be so dark!

As far as the ride...well...it was rough! Steering was difficult, and it's easy to get stuck. In fact, for about half the ride we'd managed to get ourselves lodged in a corner and couldn't get out (even when I helped). As a result, we got absolutely destroyed by our fellow players. But, it doesn't matter, KK had a blast!

See, the cars have rubber bumpers between them. And there are two people...one is a pilot, the other mans the guns. They have foam rubber balls that your car "sucks" up off the floor into a holding area, which then you (if you are the gunner) can load into your weapon. There are targets on the front and side of every vehicle. When another vehicle hits your target with a ball, they score a point and your ship is sent into an uncontrolled spin. It was fun...I just wish we hadn't gotten stuck!

As a side note...the vehicles sort of remind me of this...

5564_10_screenshot.png

It's from the 1985 movie, Explorers. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's on Netflix I believe. Though, they also sortof remind me of these...especially from behind...

Dalek2.jpg

Off for some racing games! They still have the Sega Grand Prix setup here that used to be at EPCOT in Innoventions (betcha didn't know that). I love this setup, and smile to myself every time I see it. See, when I was growing up I used to spend summers in Florida with my Grandparents. My grandfather would get me an annual pass, and drop me off at the Parks. This quickly became one of my favorites, and the CM who worked the attraction at the time got to recognize me and if it wasn't crowded, he'd let me stay on for "free" games (yes, you had to pay to play!). I got rather good at it...and here it is now today, and I can play as long as I like!

The kid, on the other hand, found a game she really enjoyed!

Time was wasting away (isn't that the point), but I had a few other things I wanted to hit at DisneyQuest before we left, so dragging her out of the race simulator section, we went off to check out ExtraTerrorestrial!

I remember the ride when it was in Tomorrowland, but I'd never done this. It was ok. The kid wasn't impressed at all. That's all I'll say about it, except that the exterior queue and maquettes on display were very neat!

We started to head out, because by now I was famished...but, the kiddo saw it. "THE BALL RACE!" Ah, so NOW I know what she was talking about!

The last time she did this she had to use the stationary ball because she was too short. But, not this trip!

My unit was broken, so I got to use the stationary unit. KK actually did fairly well, coming in 4th. Myself...not so great. Next to last. <sigh>

The CM seemed a bit miffed when he offered to let us have first dibs on the next go around, and while I appreciate what he was trying to do for me, we really didn't have much time left. Not if we were going to go off and do the thing I really was looking forward to!

<Continued Next Post>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Made my mind up, this weekend the final installment coming, as well as the final video.

Here's the draft to give you an idea of where I'm going (though it will be a two song video I think...I'll make up my mind this weekend.)

Thanks to everyone who followed along!

DisneyDebNJ

Day 2 - Sometimes Making Magic is Tragic (Part 3)

Hello again, fellow travelers! Picking up where I left off, the room at Contemporary was "Wow".

The look was very...well...contemporary (yes, pun intended). So, lets start with the minibar / closet area. The room had two stand alone mini closets (his and hers, I assume) as well as a small counter in between where the coffee maker, able to brew two single cups at a time, the ice bucket, and 4 glasses are. Turn around, and you are facing the bathroom, hiding behind a sliding pocket door! The kid found this especially fun. "Look Dad, it slides, that is SO COOL!"
I swear, I do the same thing when I enter Magic Kingdom, *cue the tears* LOL. I blow a kiss up to Uncle Walt and proceed to *lose it* as my now grown son says LOL. Tell your Princess the same thing I tell my son, "someday, you will do the same thing with your kids!* LOL Memories, at their best!!!!!!!!

Inside the bathroom is a smaller room for the toilet with a similar sliding door (I like isolated toilets in hotels, nice touch). It is a low flow model (no surprise there) with lots of suction. It sounds like a small jet engine is spinning up when you flush it (which made the kid jump). To flush the toilet, you push a button on the top of the tank.

This led to some amusement, as the kiddo couldn't figure out how to flush the first time she used it, and when she called me in to help, I found her crawling around the tank looking for a lever!

With showers in a hotel, I have only a few requirements. Good pressure, good drainage, and good heat! The Contemporary met all three requirements, so no complaints there.

However, there was something in the restroom I despised (as did the kid, she complained of it of her own merit). The sinks! Sure, square sinks (see picture) look cool! However, think about what happens when you turn water on with any amount of force and it hits a flat surface a few inches away.

That's right. It splashes all over the place! Now, think about what happens when water collects on a relatively flat surface. Right again! It doesn't drain! These sinks don't drain worth a squat. Just brushing our teeth was an ordeal where we had to stop, and use our hands and a washcloth to quite literally "push" the water down the drain.

I'm sorry, form over function is never a good idea in my book. I could live without those silly sinks. Obviously put in by a designer, and approved by someone who never used them!

The main room had a rather neat glass / marble desk area, with plenty of plugs for charging items. Nice! The TV stand had the fridge beneith it, and a small shelf which we found handy for holding our desserts for our "Wishes" party (more later on that).

The only gripe I had about the TV...well, two gripes. One, Disney seems to always have signal issues at every hotel I've ever stayed at with the exceptions being the DisneyWorld channels (music channels, etc.), XD, and the Disney Channel. I am pretty sure they use DirectTV. Since I'm not really a TV watcher, this doesn't bother me at all, but it is just something I notices. The second gripe is that I wish the unit pulled out on an arm.

It is flat mounted in the TV stand. That's great if you are sitting in the first bed, but the second bed doesn't have the best view. Since the kiddo is the TV watcher of the two of us, and she wanted to sleep closer to the deck, it would have been nice to be able to rotate the TV. Again, it's a nitpicky gripe, I know...but it would be a nice touch.

The highlight of the room, of course, is the deck. 12 stories up, facing the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon, you can't get a much better view than this.

Normally here is where we would claim our drawers (and closet space), unpack everything, set up a charging station, and otherwise basically get settled in the room for our stay. But, since this is just a one night deal...a place to squat before leaving for the cruise (which, is still a secret at this point for the kiddo)...we did nothing of the sort. Instead, we plopped the luggage down on the bed, I set my laptop up to charge, and we headed off to the Magic Kingdom!

I asked the kiddo which transportation option she would like to do. Mind you, I'd told her about the fitbit earlier (she was curious what that thing on my belt was).

Oh, the fitbit! I explained it to her, but I haven't explained what it is to you! Basically, it's a pedometer. It comes in a few different models. The one I bought is called the <????> and is their lowest model. The have a model that goes on your wrist, which I considered, but then realized that I really didn't want to spend nearly $90 on a pedometer. This one was $50, which is plenty 'spensive for me!

http://www.fitbit.com/

Why is it so expensive? Well, it's not really the unit itself, though, it is very well done, with a tap sensitive screen and a very comfortable case...in fact, I put it on and basically forget that it is there. It's because the unit has bluetooth and USB connection (though a special USB "plug" that you put in your computer) that allows the unit to sync with the Fitbit app on your phone, or with your computer / their website.

The app/site is free (though they do have premium offerings, I think the free site is more than enough). It allows you to track your progress day by day, week by week, etc. It also has a "water consumption" utility to track how many glasses of water from your goal you have, a calorie counting "consumption" log with a searchable database of common foods (and of course, the ability to add your own), a weight tracker and much more.

I am impressed! If you are looking to track weight loss on a plan (or if you are like me and just find the metrics interesting), I'd recommend picking one up!

Ok, so, back on track. I offered the Kid a choice between the Monorail and walking. She said "Lets walk to the Magic Kingdom so we can get some exercise!" and then proceeded to poke my belly. Cheeky little thing! I'll get her back!

So, we walked. It was a pleasant walk, for those who haven't done it. Walking under the Monorail track reminded me of Disneyland in California...though, it's still not as low as the tracks are there (and it's "home" for me, so, sorry Disneyland, I still like the WDW Monorail better!). The IronManorail (wrapped for Iron Man 3) passed over us, as did Monorail Teal.

How do I remember this? The kid kept calling out their names...though, she kept calling them Metrorails. This mistake is probably due to the fact she lives near DC and takes the Metro there. Still, like her calling Atlanta "Atlantica" years ago, I found the term endearingly amusing, so I didn't bother to correct her.

We got to Magic Kingdom, and even though it was nearly noon, the gates were swarmed with people. Bag check went fine (nice guy manning it, by the way...nothing special happened, but he was just nice and wished us a magical day). Ok, so, we've now used Magicbands at the Magical Express (A+ experience), at the hotel as the room key / key to access the Atrium Club (A experience)...now it's time to try the buggers out as park tickets!

They are doing some sort of construction at the ticketing gates (I'm assuming installing more Magicband Readers), so walls were up. This split the ticketing gates in two. We went left. Sad to say, there were NO Magicband readers on this side! Only regular gates.

Now, I'd brought along our keys (yes, we were issued both bands and regular Key to the World cards...though the KTTW was yellow this year, instead of the blue I am used to...). We were told at check in that we should carry both, because some places weren't yet able to use the Magicbands. I found this was sage advice.

However, even though we could have entered using our KTTW keys, I really wanted to try the Magicbands out! So, we hiked over to the right side gates, and there they were. Magicband poles! They were processing guests who didn't have Magicbands as well, using the RFID in their KTTW cards, so I assume more guests are getting the RFID cards than just those testing Magicbands. However, what I did notice is the difference in lines.

The Magicband line seemed to be processing more guests (they could do 4 at a time), and was more spacious (less crowded) than the regular lines. As a result, while they appeared to have the same, if not more, throughput, they appeared shorter and more inviting than the normal lines, which were twice to three times as long. I will mention, it's not like I did a head count or stayed to observe for any long period to get a feel...this is just based on my general impression as we approached.

But, that's important to a Guest...general impression. So, I still think it's a valid observation, and one that a Guest who isn't a disnut will certainly notice!

So, Magicband as Park Ticket? A+ Experience! Magicbands are scoring high so far!
The only critical observations I had at this point are:

1) The band is actually more comfortable upside down, both the kid and I noted. This is due to the flat nature of the top of the band. However, if you wear it like this it is next to impossible to use in some cases without twisting your arm at an uncomfortable angle...so, Mouse Up it is!

2) The RFID sensor on the door was too close to the doorjamb. While it was mounted center over the and is aesthetically pleasing, I found it was sometimes difficult to get Mickey to match up "just right" with the sensor. New units with the sensor area off center would be nice. That being said, after a few uses I had it down pat, so it's not that big a deal.

Man, it's good to be back. I teared up a bit (yeah, big softy) as we walked through the Main Street station and back into the "world". I was reminded of passing through the Main Street Station in Disneyland a few months back, and the size difference is dramatic. I much prefer our station at WDW (don't worry, I won't be doing a whole lot of DLC to MK comparisons in this report, it just popped in my head is all!).

First stop, the kiosk on the right side of the station that sells autograph books, ears, and other items. She decided she didn't want a lanyard yet, though we'll still get one for our trip lanyards...we make a lanyard each year of special pins from our hotels, special / favorite rides, etc. These lanyards are our "trip souvenirs"...we never bring these back to the world, even though we bring back our trading pin sets each year.

We got an autograph book and a set of glittery Minnie Mouse ears attached to a hairband. She chattered excitedly about the upcoming early dinner with the Princesses in a few hours...I'm glad to see her excited about autographs again. Last year she didn't seem all that interested. So, first test of the Magicband to purchase something! Again, flawless! Though, I didn't think I remembered the pin I had set online...so I guessed.

I guessed correctly! The CM snipped the tag off the ears and I went to put them on the kid, and she declined. "Why?" I asked. "Well, the hairband pulls my hair and it hurts a little!" <facepalms> To be fair, you must remember her hair is in braids right now, so it's understandable. I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue if her hair were down, but considering the curly, tangled mess it becomes when it's not in braids, I'll skip that, thank you very much! <grin>

Second stop...the Firehouse to pick up a set of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards.

So, as usual, let me backtrack for a moment. This year, I have not planned the trip out like I did the year before. I'm leaving it very much up to the kiddo and her whims, with a few anchors for the day (special meals mostly). The super regimented nature of last years trip really took something out of it, at least for me, so it's a lesson learned.

The reason I mention that is...SotMK was her first choice! She remembered it from last year, and immediately wanted to "Go on a MISSION!". So, a Mission it was! Luck have it, we were assigned our first Mission as the Main Street USA missions. She grabbed the map and we headed off to East Center Street, where our mission to defeat Cruella De Vil started!

We played a few levels, and then the kid started to get hot. Plus, our reserved FastPass+ for Splash Mountain was coming up. I suggested we get a LeFou's Brew to chill off with, and go see the New Fantasyland. She's seen ads for the New Fantasyland on TV and online, and is very excited about it all. Especially getting to "go inside Belle's castle".

But, when we made it over there, she wasn't so thrilled. She had thought Belle was a ride, and when I had to inform her it was a restaurant, she wasn't so thrilled. "Belle is a cool princess, don't you think she needs a ride? She's better than the Little Mermaid, and she got a ride.", she frumped.

Well, at this point she wasn't interested in New Fantasyland anymore, and she wanted to ride a ride. So, doing a 180 and skipping Gaston's Tavern, I steered us towards Small World and I ran through the ride options on that side of the park. I figured I'd rather be in Frontierland or Adventureland since we had a fast approaching Splash Mountain FastPass+ reservation. When I mentioned Haunted Mansion, she perked up at the thought.

We swung by the Fastpass machines and snagged a Paper Fastpass for Little Mermaid, and then headed towards the Mansion. On the way I noted that Small World only had a 15 minute wait. "I don't really like Small World" was the kid's response. Really...that's new to me, I thought.

She saw the Tangled Tower and started running towards it. "Daddy, a new Rapunzel ride!" Nope...not a ride. Restrooms. Lets say she wasn't pleased. Two princesses she adored that didn't get new rides. I'm sure she feels offended on their behalf! <grin> She did have fun looking at it all though, and commented that she thought it looked "very nice".

I also thought it was very well done, and fits perfectly in that area. Much better, I hate to say, than a defunct Swiss alps looking abandoned Skyway building. It also helps alleviate the bottleneck that used to accrue between Liberty Square and Fantasyland, by not forcing the whole crowd through the tunnel under Columbia Harbor House.

She spied the Haunted Mansion in the background... "I want to go on that, it's not scary anymore, the ghosts are funny! Last year they switched our heads! Silly!" was her comment. Yes...Silly...we shall see how the Ghost Host feels about being...silly. <grin>

So, off to the queue (being sure to spy the ring!). 15 minute wait. Even though the interactive queue was open last year, I feel like they've changed things around again in the queue. I also have a peeve to report here. I understand people rushing by you if you are stopped in the middle of the queue (to play with an interactive item or something)...but when you are walking at a reasonable pace, and people rush around you pushing themselves and normally dragging their children by the hand as if they got a memo that said that the ride was going to disappear in the next five minutes if they didn't board...yeah...this bothered me.

We actually ran into this behavior several times throughout the day on different rides. Now, I know what some of you are thinking..."Tour groups". Well, I can report, it wasn't just tour groups, though they played their part mobbing the FP lines in a disorganized manner. I think of it more as "summer groups"! I never go this close to the summer season, normally we start on the second or third week of August.

It wasn't that the park was especially crowded, it was the behaviors of the crowd. People just seemed more rushed, pushier, and many had this look of panic as if the park was going to get up and walk away, so they had to rush around everywhere! If this is even close to what it's like in June / July, I'll pass. Thank you.

Anyhow, I gripe, but it really didn't bug me all that much. Nothing really does at Disney. Or rather, very few does. I just shrug it off, make a mental note for the trip report, and keep doing what the kid and I want to do at the pace we wish to do it at. A relaxed pace!

The Haunted Mansion was a nice sight to see. After reading the longforgotten blog, I've become quite a fan of the ride, and noticed a lot of details that I had previously glossed over on other rides. It really is an amazing ride, and while I prefer the queue at Disneyland, I still prefer the RIDE at WDW.

The kid, however, did not! She made it as far as the stretching room before burrowing her face into my belly. Well, that's better than previous years!

Ok, so to gripe again...in the Stretching Room, the Ghost Host was speaking, and people were on their cell phones, chattering loudly, laughing, and just generally ignoring their surroundings. Also, I've never witnessed a CM there actually have to YELL (rather than just repeat) for people to move to the back. That CM looked ticked off, and not in a "happy haunted mansion" sort of way! Poor lady...

Well, I'll say this (and I don't know if I had anything to do with it, I'd like to think so)...these groups of people would not stop chattering, and I couldn't hear the Ghost Host very well at all...so, a few minutes before the lightning flash, I started saying loudly to the kid "Look up" and pointing up.

"Keep looking!"...people around me started to look up as well, as if they were going to miss something...and before you knew it most of the room was staring at the ceiling (the flash hadn't happened yet)...

When it did...and they saw the dangling horror, the group of girls to my left who were the primary offenders screamed like Bloody Mary had just showed up in their pimple popping magnifying mirror to give them beauty tips.

They were silent after that. With a smug grin, we excited the ride, and from this point forward I have no complaints...about them or the ride.

Once settled in our Doombuggies, the kid gave it a fair shake to be a "big girl" about the ride (once again, her words). She made it as far as the door knocker hallway and the floating candelabra before she was gripping my arm, and later my hand, in fear.

But, like last year, she did spend most of the ride actually watching what was going on, and at the end we again had our heads switched, which she giggled about. "I think my head looks better on your body than your head looks on my body." she says. Um...ok, I'll take that as a compliment...I think...

Then, off to Splash Mountain for our FastPass+ reservation. On the way we stopped by the stocks and took pictures. The kiddo asked me what the stocks were for, and as we walked over to Splash I explained they were for people who didn't finish their Turkey Legs or thought that Nutella Waffles were nasty. Just kidding, I told her what it really was for, punishing criminals in the town square hundreds of years ago.

Walking along the wooden walkway to skip the crowds in Frontierland, we stopped so the kid could take a picture of the birds there. She has a thing about taking pictures of bird. This will become a recurring theme that you'll see come up again.

I also noticed that the smoking area is gone from there. I wonder why. Not that I care, I no longer require the use of it, but it was something I noticed as we walked by.

On to Splash and our first use of Magicbands as Fast Passes! We approached the Fastpass line, bands at the ready. We approached and the CM stopped us. "Sir, where are your fastpasses?" I raised my wrist, and he said, oh, wow. Great! We tapped and Mickey swirled and turned green. FP+ reservation #1 used!

Splash was looking great! The only piece I notices was that the groundhogs were not working in the cave scene, but otherwise it was great. I noticed the refurb the most in the scene where you see Brer Frog fishing, etc. All the small "brer" animetronics were working, and that area looks spectacular. I'm not sure why, but it's always been one of my favorite parts of the ride (the other being the area where you see the birdhouses and gardens before dropping off Slippery Falls). It was also very nice to see that the Chickens in the finale had gotten tender loving care. Previous years there had always been one or more that looked like they were in the middle of having a stroke or seizure. This year, they were dancing and zip a dee clucking away in unison. Very nice!

The kid wanted to play in the playspot (even though she's technically now too large and too old for it physically, mentally she enjoys it still...). But, her wish to go on Little Mermaid (who's FastPass window was coming to a close in 20 minutes) overrode her desire to play. "We can come back later" she said, with Cartman like authority. A slight detour to pick up FastPasses for Big Thunder Mountain, and we were hiking across the bridges. "I'm hot, can I have a frozen lemonade?" So, a short stop at the stand and we used our MagicBand (hers wouldn't work, but mine worked fine) to use our first snack credit of four for the stay. She opted for the frozen orange drink, and shared with me as we hiked it over to Little Mermaid.

We made it with 3 minutes to spare before our window closed. The ride, for us and other FastPassers was basically a walk on. One nice thing about the frozen Minute Maid drinks is that they have a lid, so I was able to carry it on the ride. The queue is fantastic, and really, outside of the heat, I wouldn't mind waiting in the longer standby line and taking in all the nifty details they put there. It is a million times better than the DLC version of the queue...but the ride is exactly the same. I enjoyed it more this time though, even though I wish they hadn't gone with such a plastic look for the characters. Then again, I can't really think of a better way to do it, so I'll keep my criticism to myself. The kid, however, who had not seen it at all loved it.

She gasped with joy as our shell went "under water" and loved the lighting effects. "Daddy, we are going under water! See, Daddy! Isn't this cool?" She also clapped with joy and had a huge grin on her face when we got to the "Under the Sea" scene. And she sung along. Her enjoyment of the ride made it all the better for me. So, while I have a few other gripes about it (like the constant re-use of the same characters (yes, I'm looking at you spinning starfish) in the ending scene, and the fact I wish that Scuttle had a few more lines, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We finished the frozen Orange drink and headed off to catch our Big Thunder Mountain FP time. On the way she complained of being hot again. It wasn't the hottest day that I've experienced at the parks, but I agree, it was pretty scorchin'! So, we stopped by the eatery near the bridge over to Big Thunder and got snack #2 with our MagicBands. A Mickey Premium Ice Cream! I'm not how this happens, but every trip we seem to buy one from this vendor, and I have pictuers and video of her eating one of these while walking on the bridge from every trip. This year, obviously, was no exception.

She had devoured the whole thing by the time we got to the Big Thunder queue. We flashed our paper passes, and again, this was a virtual walk on. The kid wanted to sit in the front, so she asked the CM at the loading area if we could wait. The CM said "Are you sure? It's the slowest part of the train." "Oh? So where should I sit for the best ride?" exclaimed the kiddo? "In the middle". "Oh, can I wait and sit there then?" The CM chuckled and said "Sure, just give it a few minutes and I'll have you ready for the best seat on the train." Nice. So, of course, we watched several families get seated, and then were shuffled off to our "premium seat" in the middle. Now, I don't notice the difference, but the kid was elated that she was "sitting in the best seat on the train". I'll let her have her little joys. <grin>

The ride was great as always. This was the first time the kid actually felt comfortable putting her hands in the air for the whole ride. I think her longer (and larger) legs helped with that...We also chatted about how my watch broke on this ride a few years ago, and my kid said I should put my watch in my pocket so I don't break it again. Good advice, and it is exactly what I did.

From there, we still had time to burn before our early dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table. I was famished. I hadn't eaten anything all day outside of a few bites of the frozen orange drink and coffee that morning. But, we were close enough to visiting Cindy's that I held back. But, man did Peco's smell good, as did Golden Horseshoe (wow, it was open! I never see it open!)...it was all I could do not to stop and get a snack. But, I made it through!

We went back to Main Street to finish our "mission" from before. The clue was in the Main Street Station, and from there we were taken to the art gallery / movie theater. Now, I love this little theater (I liked it even better when it was actually a theater), but as a parent, I also hate this little theater. Why? Cartoons. They play...classic Disney cartoons. This is something my kid is addicted to. And, once she sees it, she will make any excuse to plop down and watch. From this point forward, it's like her bum was super-glued to the carpet. Prying her out of there is a chore, so, unless I'm in the mood to let her do it, I tend to avoid that place like the plague.

But, this time our mission required we enter there...so enter we did. And, as expected she pulled the "Oooooh, cartooons!" card out and plopped on the floor. I took the time to browse the gallery to see if there was anything I was interested in purchasing. There wasn't...but it's still fun to look around. Eventually, and to my surprise, she approached me and asked if I was ready to go to the next clue. "Um, I was waiting on you." I said. "Oh, well I was waiting on YOU!" she replied. Yeah...right...<grin>

So, the next clue was on Center Street East, right outside the jewelry shop. This was the end of our Main Street quest, and luckily it forwarded us to Fantasyland. This was convenient, because we had about 20 minutes to go before our ADR at Cindy's Royal Table! We did two of the missions, and the time had come to eat.

So, I'm gonna leave it here for two reasons. One, because I have a major peeve coming up and I want to spend a bit of time on it and two because the kid and I are going to head out to grab some dinner and do some shopping.

Oh, tonight when the kid is in the Oceaneer Club, I'll go through the past few posts and add uploaded pictures to them.

bbiab!

<continued next post>

taymorel

This was an amazing trip report. I just found this forum and your report just drew me in. I had to read it all today; I just could not stop. You have me excited for my summer trip.

Daxiegirl

This was an amazing trip report. I just found this forum and your report just drew me in. I had to read it all today; I just could not stop. You have me excited for my summer trip.

Me too!
We are headed to POFQ in September. Boy, I hope the condition of the food court has improved by then. I'm sure my kids would love to investigate the roaches but ewwwwwwww!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom