Engegement ring, checked baggage or hand luggage?

NORMNB8S

Like everyone else has said, carry on is the way to go. When I proposed at MK this past December, I put the ring in my carry on and they never searched my bag, so there weren't any issues with that. The first day we were there, I left it wrapped up in my suitcase in the room. I proposed the next morning, so I didn't have to worry about hiding it for too long while we were running around the parks. Good luck!

Definitely carry-on!!! We took our wedding rings out of country with us and I had them in a back pack and they did not ask us to pull them out for any reason here in the U.S. or in customs.

Just to be safe, you may want to keep it in your bag and 'accidently' get seperated at airport check in, that way if they do ask you to pull it out, you won't be next to each other and still keep it quiet. Try not to look nervous though. They may pull you aside thinking you have something suspicious on you.

Good Luck!!!

castevens

When I proposed in WDW last year, I kept the ring on my person throught the flight (and throughout our day in DHS -- where I was really freaked out that it would fall out on one of the thrill rides, but the pocket was secure and i kept my hand on it). I was nervous that it would throw off the metal detector and I would have to take it out of my pants, but it made it through fine. We then ran over to Wishes (just in time) after Fantasmic ended and I proposed during the fireworks

devoy1701

Some (all?) of the Disney hotels have a front desk safe. I don't know the particular laws for Florida, but most hotels are not liable for things stolen from the safe in your room. On the other hand, they are liable if they disappear from the front desk safe. If that ring has value, you might consider the front desk safe, you'll also save yourself the trouble of explaining why the safe is locked everyday.

I was thinking the same thing...I wouldn't put it in the in-room safe...I dunno about you but my girlfriend would be all over wondering what I was keeping locked in the in-room safe.

I would see the general manager when you get to the hotel and have it checked there...atleast (i know this is worst case senario) they'd be reliable if it turned up missing. I believe the service is a courtasy during your stay as well.

Erika

I have always put my jewelry in my carry-on, and have never had to take it out for visual inspection. (I'm assuming that you don't want your fiancee- to -be to know you're carrying a ring.)

I was just about to say the same thing. I've never had any issue with having to take any jewelry out.

that's dumb advice. you make it as though popping the question is no big deal.

I don't think it's dumb at all. I read it as saying that the magical part was in being engaged, not in the actual asking of the question. That's something I would agree with, but to each his own :)

Zuulio, have a great trip! Good luck! :wave:

castevens

I don't think it's dumb at all. I read it as saying that the magical part was in being engaged, not in the actual asking of the question. That's something I would agree with, but to each his own

Exactly. I proposed to my now-fiancee at the Magic Kingdom in August of 2008, and I was going to do it the last night during our dinner at California Grill. I decided I wanted to spend the entire trip engaged, and having fun with the love of my life rather than worrying about logistics and timing of the proposal for the entire vacation. I had a much better time than I would have had I waited until the last night. But if he wants to call my advise bad because I supposedly had no thought behind my statement, well, so be it.

NORMNB8S

...I wanted to spend the entire trip engaged, and having fun with the love of my life...

I was the exact same way. I proposed on our first full day and we got to spend pretty much our entire vacation as an engaged couple instead of "boyfriend and girlfriend." We had a fantastic time and even enjoyed the additional perks that Disney threw in simply because we were recently engaged.

ianrdelta

As far as getting the ring to your destination, I would say keep it on you at all times! For our plane trip I wrapped it in a paper towel and placed it in a small plastic bag in my pocket. If its gold (14K) or more it noramlly won't set off a metal detector, but if it does you always have the option of asking the TSA to search you in a private room, they are obligated to do so. Putting it in your carry-on in most cases will work, but now, with the added fees for the second bag, airlines (at least mine) have been running into alot more instances where we are running out of overhead space and having to involuntarilly check carry-on bags near departure time. At that point your stuck trying to dig it out of the bag without your significant other noticing. :eek:

Uncle Lupe

Just pack in your carry-on. Put it in the room safe and make yourself the banker for the week. Or you could put it in a rolled up pair of your socks, dirty socks to really keep her away from the ring.

zuulio

Original Poster
Just to report, i took the ring in my carry on with no problems. Once at the resort (Coronado Springs) i put it in the room safe and took the role of 'safe key keeper'. I proposed a week into our stay over on the Polynesian beach (well more like a grassy bank as there were too many people around the beach) during Wishes. She said yes which was a relief as i could've led to an awkard second week! So all's well that ends well.Thanks for all the advice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom