Emma Watson as Belle

Tony Perkis

Does it matter if she could sing? This won't be filmed Les Miserables style where every master recording is done on set. They will alter her voice in post production if needed.

I mean, she can't be worse than the collective cast of Mamma Mia, right?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Does it matter if she could sing? This won't be filmed Les Miserables style where every master recording is done on set. They will alter her voice in post production if needed.

I mean, she can't be worse than the collective cast of Mamma Mia, right?
Momma Mia was soooooo disappointing . The show is so fun on stage but something just went wrong for the movie. It lost all it's sparkle and fun. Singing was bad too even from the Broadway veterans.

ImagineerDude

I saw this earlier on Twitter...pretty excited :happy: But I'm surprised they didn't wait to see how good/bad Cinderella does at the box office.

lazyboy97o

In an age of digital downloads and streaming, this just seems unnecessary. Why pay for a rehash of what I already own? A stage production at least has the spectacle of the production occurring before you.

And isn't it live action? Why would they have her lip sync?
Lip syning is how most live action musicals are made. It allows there to be one consistent vocal track while enabling multiple takes of scenes. Fixing less than stellar vocals is also possible.

Sped2424

In an age of digital downloads and streaming, this just seems unnecessary. Why pay for a rehash of what I already own? A stage production at least has the spectacle of the production occurring before you.

Lip syning is how most live action musicals are made. It allows there to be one consistent vocal track while enabling multiple takes of scenes. Fixing less than stellar vocals is also possible.
More Emma watson as belle for me then :p

SnarkyMonkey

Sorry...I meant why would she be lip syncing to someone else's vocals. I understand that they aren't singing live. lol And I know that they can edit vocals...pretty much every professional singer does this unfortunately. What I'm saying is, why would they hire this actress for a musical, given all the many choices, if she couldn't sing at all?

Sped2424

She is going to sing folks. She has confirmed that herself, now whether or not she is good I don't know. But her voice shall be the one being heard during the film.

lazyboy97o

Sorry...I meant why would she be lip syncing to someone else's vocals. I understand that they aren't singing live. lol And I know that they can edit vocals...pretty much every professional singer does this unfortunately. What I'm saying is, why would they hire this actress for a musical, given all the many choices, if she couldn't sing at all?
Star power is why an actor would be hired but not provide the singing. Disney did it with some of their animated films in the 1990s. Matthew Broderick and Jonathan Taylor Thomas didn't sing for Simba. Demi Moore didn't sing for Esmerelda. B.D. Wong didn't sing for Captain Shang (his singing voice, Donny Osmond, was hyped instead). Disney did sort of the opposite with Frozen, where it was thought that "Let It Go" would perform better as a single sung my Demi Lovato.

SnarkyMonkey

Star power is why an actor would be hired but not provide the singing. Disney did it with some of their animated films in the 1990s. Matthew Broderick and Jonathan Taylor Thomas didn't sing for Simba. Demi Moore didn't sing for Esmerelda. B.D. Wong didn't sing for Captain Shang (his singing voice, Donny Osmond, was hyped instead). Disney did sort of the opposite with Frozen, where it was thought that "Let It Go" would perform better as a single sung my Demi Lovato.

But it was confirmed immediately that she would be singing. This has never been disputed. So, knowing that...why would people question whether she could sing or not? Why do they think Disney would choose her to sing if she couldn't? And I don't buy because she's popular. There are a lots of equally popular actresses that can sing.

And the movies you are listing are much different than this one. It's like apples and oranges...

lazyboy97o

But it was confirmed immediately that she would be singing. This has never been disputed. So, knowing that...why would people question whether she could sing or not? Why do they think Disney would choose her to sing if she couldn't? And I don't buy because she's popular. There are a lots of equally popular actresses that can sing.

And the movies you are listing are much different than this one. It's like apples and oranges...
There have been cases where it was said that a person was singing only for it later to be found that such claims were only technically true, such as mixing the actor's voice with another singer's.

lazyboy97o

So she's lying to us, is what you're saying?
I'm not saying anything about this specific case. There are reasons why people would be skeptical. Watson doesn't even have to be lying, as it could be done without her full knowledge or consent. Not saying it will happen, just that there are past cases where such things have occurred.

pluto77

Original Poster
The articles have been pretty clear about the singing.

And isn't it live action? Why would they have her lip sync?
It actually happens quite a bit in movie musicals where the actor/actress playing the role doesn't do the singing (and even though it's a little disappointing that they don't sing their own parts, it doesn't always turn out bad). Minnie Driver didn't sing her own part in Phantom of the Opera. Most of Audrey Hepburn's singing voice was someone else singing in My Fair Lady. Even in The Sound of Music, a lot of Christopher Plummer's singing voice was dubbed by someone else when he sang Edelweiss at the end of the movie.

Movie studios have chosen star power (or maybe good acting) over good singing in the past. Even when the role required singing throughout most of the movie. Why did they cast Gerard Butler as the phantom, one of the most iconic roles in musical history, even though he had zero singing experience before the movie? And, I have no idea why they ever thought it was a good idea to cast Pierce Brosnan in a singing role for Mamma Mia (now that is one person who should have been dubbed!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Emma Watson is going to be a bad singer. In fact, I have high hopes for her. I'm sure she will surprise us all. I'm definitely not going to judge her before I even hear her. However, knowing how some movie musicals have been done in the past, it's understandable why people would be worried about who is playing/singing in the main parts, and how they are going to handle the singing, especially when they choose a star who we never knew could sing before.

Last edited:

Ariel1986

I'm not her biggest fan... and this is one of my favourite Disney classics. I even have a tattoo with some of the lyrics...! I just hope it's done well. The songs are so important to the film. So many good musicals have been ruined when remade...

SnarkyMonkey

However, knowing how some movie musicals have been done in the past, it's understandable why people would be worried about who is playing/singing in the main parts, and how they are going to handle the singing, especially when they choose a star who we never knew could sing before.

This would be true...had they not already said quite clearly that Emma Watson, who does know how to sing, will be singing her own parts in the movie. I'm still not getting what the dispute is here.

216bruce

She's a decent actress and her character of Hermione is 'bookish', so having her play Belle is a natural. Belle isn't a hottie, so I guess having Scarlett Johannson or someone like her wouldn't really be as approprite. As far as the singing goes- even if she isn't a great singer, that can all be remedied digitally and doctored up in post-production. I didn't think Meryl Streep could sing either, but she does fine. Looking forward to it.
Josh Gad would be a great addition in the cast- LeFou? Cogsworth?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom