EMH To Be Cut By An Hour?

COProgressFan

Very disappointing. Ticket prices increase, resort prices increase, food prices increase, and yet they cut back on the offering. Sorry but this seems to be another example of TDO increasing prices while reducing what guests receive in return. Since I love jumping to conclusions, I assume this was done to save money. I would have been fine with it if there was some evidence that WDW was holding the line on prices but, so far, it only seems as if they've been increasing prices even more than in the past. With WDW's attendance flat for the better part of a decade, it seems they continue to squeeze more money from those remaining loyal to the Disney brand.

It's not jumping to conclusions. There is no other reason on earth why this was done, other than to save money.

WDWFigment

Quick, everyone prepare to overreact to a change that hasn't been implemented yet! Oh wait..........

When are we, officially, allowed to express our disappointment in the change? Am I required to experience it first? "So this is what one less hour feels like. Yep, I still don't like it."

I'd rather respond ahead of a confirmed change than after it occurs. I already know that I won't like one less hour of EMH, so why can't I register a complaint now. I doubt Disney will alter its position on this, but if there's a chance of that happening, it's before the change is actually implemented.

ParentsOf4

This sucks because as a guest, the last hour of EMH is when nothing has a line. But that is exactly why I can understand them doing away with it. Really though, evening EMH is not exactly a good thing. It makes that park significantly more crowded than it would be if that park was just open until the exact same time for all guests.
Good point. EMH parks tend to be more crowded. We frequently go to a park the day after it has evening EMH, observing that crowds seem to be lower the following day. As you note, the third hour of evening EMH is always the least crowded. For those wanting or willing to stay up late, this least crowded hour was at least some compensation for putting up with the higher than normal crowds earlier in the day. If the 2-hour evening EMH becomes permanent, I don't understand why anyone with first-hand experience would ever choose evening EMH to avoid crowds. To stay up late, sure, but to avoid crowds, it simply doesn't make sense with a 2-hour evening EMH.

BigThunderMatt

Basically. It's a cost cutting measure without a doubt.

I'd like to think it means they will take the extra time each night for maintenance, but I'm doubting that's the case. I'd even be alright with the decision if they kept more attractions open during the two hours, helping to disperse the crowds.

But I'm not that naive ;)

The problem with this change is that it really only gives third shift maintenance an extra hour and 15 minutes because most attractions that close with the park on EMH nights are not handed over to maintenance until 45 minutes after park close. So let's say we're looking at a midnight close that would have been EMH until 3 a.m. Now with the change it's 2 a.m. therefore third shift can start work no earlier than 2:45 a.m.

First shift usually comes in by 6 and some attractions have to start opening procedures by 6:30 a.m., meaning maintenance has to give control of the attractions back to operations preferably by that time if the ride is expected to be open at 9 a.m.

ParentsOf4

Quick, everyone prepare to overreact to a change that hasn't been implemented yet! Oh wait..........
Yes but it is a confirmed change. I respect your opinion but I can't think of any additional information I need to not like this change. I am hoping new information will come at that will make me like this change but I'm not optimistic.

draybook

When are we, officially, allowed to express our disappointment in the change? Am I required to experience it first? "So this is what one less hour feels like. Yep, I still don't like it."

I'd rather respond ahead of a confirmed change than after it occurs. I already know that I won't like one less hour of EMH, so why can't I register a complaint now. I doubt Disney will alter its position on this, but if there's a chance of that happening, it's before the change is actually implemented.

Sorry bud, but it doesn't look like TDO cares too much what you and I like. I love EMH as much as the next guy, but maybe there's some perk they have in store to make up for that lost hour. Quite honestly, my wife isn't going to like this change and I don't either. I don't think it's enough to make many of us stop staying on site, and that's what TDO is banking on. If we really want to make a statement, then we should stop giving them our money.

Next Big Thing

They speculated over on the Disboards as well that this may have something to do with xPass/FastPass+, sort of like the Fastpass changes did. That would make sense in a way, just wondering if anyone else had heard anything else along those lines.

Computer Magic

I knew you weren't like this change, isn't this when you get your best photos?

yoyoflamingo

Skimmed through the thread quickly, so apologies if it was already mentioned and I missed it: Anyone else remember when they actually did get rid of EMH altogether? It was such a disaster, and so many people complained, they brought them back.

Thus, if enough people complain....maybe there's hope.

As another poster said, I would hope the extra hour is going to be used for proper maintenance, but somehow I doubt it.

menamechris

Seriously - Is WDW going broke? They drag their feet to bring new attractions and experiences to the parks unless it is for capacity (or dictated from above), they are raising prices at an incredible rate, they are eliminating entertainment in the parks, they can't figure out what to do with DTD, and now even perks offered to guests paying one of the priciest premiums in the world to vacation are getting chopped away. Pretty soon, there will be no more corners to cut.

I don't think we are far away from a reduction of parades and fireworks. Everyone complains about not have a new daytime parade every couple years. Or that they want Spectro back. Or Illuminations is getting old. Disney may shortly take care of these debates by just doing away with them altogether. I really don't think we are that far away at this rate...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can't say that i personally care very much. as someone else pointed out, I almost always avoid whatever park has extended hours since the crowds are always larger at that park on those days ( I have bought into the touring plans strategy). I can't really defend the move either or spin it in some positive way. Maybe they are going to use the extra hour per week to fix Splash Mountain!!! Sorry, that was the best I could do. This is really not defendable. Bring back opening every park at 8 am just for hotel guests. That was a great perk from the good old days.

Bolt

They already open early every day for onsite guests. Oh wait, that's Universal.;)

Yes they might do a bonus hour, but IOA is only open until 9pm everyday this summer. I don't think MK has a SINGLE night that closes before 10, as well as DHS since they are running Fantasmic! at 10:30pm every night. Also - talking about Universal cutbacks, I get you have Halloween Horror Nights, but your day guests get to see this now:

Universal's Cinematic Spectacular: No shows on 9/6 - 9/8, 9/19, 9/21 - 9/22, 9/27 - 9/30, 10/4 - 10/7, 10/11 - 10/14, 10/17 - 10/21, 10/24 - 10/28, 10/31, 11/15, 12/5

Furthermore - everyone is speculating right now. The company realizes the pros in EMH because Disneyland enacted a 7 day plan now so before we have a meltdown, let's see the schedules for 2013 get finalized, as they always do change.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Yes they might do a bonus hour, but IOA is only open until 9pm everyday this summer. I don't think MK has a SINGLE night that closes before 10, as well as DHS since they are running Fantasmic! at 10:30pm every night. Also - talking about Universal cutbacks, I get you have Halloween Horror Nights, but your day guests get to see this now:

Universal's Cinematic Spectacular: No shows on 9/6 - 9/8, 9/19, 9/21 - 9/22, 9/27 - 9/30, 10/4 - 10/7, 10/11 - 10/14, 10/17 - 10/21, 10/24 - 10/28, 10/31, 11/15, 12/5

Furthermore - everyone is speculating right now. The company realizes the pros in EMH because Disneyland enacted a 7 day plan now so before we have a meltdown, let's see the schedules for 2013 get finalized, as they always do change.

It's not speculation- the schedules have been finalized, and the language changed on the official site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom